Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ARRGHHH - IOL Gold and UNIX/BeOS

Options
  • 01-05-2003 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69,087 ✭✭✭✭

Can ANYONE get IOL Gold (1891121121) to connect from an OS with a *NIX networking stack? I have tried BeOS (my base OS), SuSE and Mandrake Linuxes, and none can connect properly.. and IOL are no help really, they offered me a Windows dialer...

Anyone any idea why they won't connect? Username/password work in Windows, number is right, modem can dial Eircom Free perfectly. There is a possibilty the authenticiation method is not "Standard PPP" but "Alternate PPP" or "Unix Login", but neither works either under BeOS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by MYOB
    and IOL are no help really, they offered me a Windows dialer...

Well, yeah, because they don't support your OS. BeOS never really made much of a dent in the OS market did it :)

Try looking on linux.ie, they have scripts there for *nix that should work no probs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

WvDial is good for connecting to most ISPs. I haven't used it with IOL Gold, but it seems fairly intelligent and flexible.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,087 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've not gotten to the stage where I can get in (Other Type 1 server type, UNIX Login, and a PPP terminal), but the DNS's seem to be rejecting me, and the speed is terrible... I can connect to Eircom Free perfectly well, at somewhere between 45-48K, and get all full services working...

I will try tonight with BeOS 5.1, which uses BSD's networking stack... might have more success, might be seen as a Unix and not BeOS by their fickle servers

KPPP still won't get me in though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I don't have any difficulties connecting into IOL Gold from Mac OS X, which is an Unix operating system very similar to FreeBSD.

As far as I know they use standard TCP/IP and PPP, so unless you aren't configuring something correctly you should not have any difficulties. They're not using their own thing like AOL where you need special software.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Ronin

linux also connects in fine.

Paul

• Advertisement

Its the DNS servers, dammit..

IOL Gold dial-in, Eircom.net DNS servers, and its fin

IOL Gold dial-in, IOL DNS servers, nothing

works fine in Windows though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by MYOB
    Its the DNS servers, dammit..

IOL Gold dial-in, Eircom.net DNS servers, and its fin

IOL Gold dial-in, IOL DNS servers, nothing

works fine in Windows though

How can it possibly be the IOL DNS servers? They don't care what OS you use....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I use IOL free - with Mandrake and no problems. Set your DNS servers to "obtain automatically", probably the same for IP address.

Let the IOL server determine what the DNS servers are and you should have no trouble.

Originally posted by eth0_
    How can it possibly be the IOL DNS servers? They don't care what OS you use....

I really thought that myself, but the same servers work fine in Windows, and in SuSE 8.1. No other ISP has a problem with BeOS, its networking in solid, and pretends to be FreeBSD 4.x to the outside world

tom dunne - i'll give that a try again, didn't work last time, but I did actually have DNS's entered last time, even though they became greyed out

Advertisement