Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VF v O2 monthly tarrifs

• 01-05-2003 6:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭

Is it jusj me or are de Vodafone monthly taffifs complete ****e compared to O2.

O2 choices seem very good value, + de free add ons options are practical + actually usefull. 100 free txts, ect...

VF, de cheapest option Light is E20. And no addons like uget wit O2.

Vf might have the fones 20 or 30E cheaper on rental tha nO2, but their tarrifs are crap value 4 money. Ny1 else agree, or am i missing some good pay plans of VF.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

Ny1 at all have an opinion on this.

Even spammers r welcome. My thread is lonely.
    Strictly, no gays though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

Originally posted by rander00
    Ny1 at all have an opinion on this.

Even spammers r welcome. My thread is lonely.
    Strictly, no gays though.

I can't see why....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

Well, O2`s cheapest rental, is 15E pm. U get 5E free callls which can b carried forward, + u get to pick a free add on worth E7.50.
    1 of the add ons is 100 frees txts a month.

Vf`s cheapest rental is Light at 20E. Free calls cant be carried forward, im not sure of the free call value. + u dont get any addons.

Thats why i was seeing Vf as scabby + screwing the cust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

you'd need to look at the standard services/charges of the operator to see if they would be an advantage for you, not just a direct comparison on price plans

e.g. are calls to voicemail charged / how are diverted calls charged / are there any special packages: like friend for free or nominate 3 numbers for a discount

also if you are going to do a lot of mobile to mobile calls are the majority of contacts you will call on a particular operator, off network vs. on network calls charges can add up

are you going to use data / a lot or a little / what are the differences in data charges

so best to read around the operators sites for their 'other charges' and/or 'special services' and not just focus on the price plan pages

hth,
    BrianG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

If you actually took the time to examine both companies price plans you will find the Vodafone options are considerably better. While it is true that O2 offer a certain amount of free call credit, Vodafone offer free minutes instead of this. For example, the lowest Vodafone option offers 10 free peak minutes and 50 free off-peak minutes. When compared to O2's offering of €5 it is considerably better value, regardless of the extra monthly rental cost.

• Advertisement

direct comparisons are difficult - unless you know the persons calling behaviour - one of the O2 choices add-on's might end up being better value for them

all depends what type of numbers they would be calling the most, time of day they would use the phone the most, if they were more of a texter than a talker, would they be using data services... etc... etc...

BrianG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Right, I cant beleive you lot can be so one sided. I happen to work for Vodafone, work in Second Line Support for their Customer Operations Department for some 3 years now. So you can take my word on this, I know what I am talking about.

This will apply to around 70% of customers that are considered personal customers as a major factor in the cost of a montly bill is down to the type of calls you make, i.e. within the same network, to another network, peak or off peak, text messaging, WAP, Voicemail or any other value added services. There will be some situations where your O2 bill will be higher no matter what, or visa versa.

A basic rule of thumb is, the higher your monthly bill, the more expensive of a rental package you should be on. As the montly rental cost increases, call rates are reduced and free call value/minutes are increased dramatically.

If you expect your bill to average €30 or so, then you should be on either Vodafone's Light package or O2's. Another important point to make is that O2 have just recently launched these new packages, Vodafone's have been around for 18 months now so you can expect them to be updated sometime soon. The more recent O2 price plans are now level with the Vodafone price plans, this was not the case for the last 18 months however.

Some examples are as follows:

==================== 02=========Vodafone========

Package Plan Name:............five.....................light
    Cost ....................................15......................20
    Free Call Value......................5........................none
    Free Call mins....................none...10 peak,50 off-peak, 50 CAFF*

Peaks calls too:
    other mobile network.............50c/min............50c
    landlines.................................50c/min...........50c
    to same mobile network.........50c/min...........30c

Off Peak calls too:
    other mobile network..............30c/min...........30c
    landlines.................................15c/min............15c
    to same mobile network........15c/min.............15c

Text Messages:
    same network.........................11c...................13c
    other network.........................13c...................13c

Voicemail
    Peak........................................15c/min............free
    Off Peak...................................15c/min............free

Fax/Data/WAP calls..................19c/min...........15c

* CAFF - Call a Friend for Free, allows you to call one 087 customer of your choice for free during off peak for a certain amount of mins. For Light it is 50, for Active it is 300.

The above table, while crude shows there is a very slight difference in costs between both companies price plans. I find that 5 euro free call credit does not compare with a total of 110 free mins per month offered by Vodafone. If you take a average call as being just 15c per min, this is over €15 per month free. Combine this with lower 087 to 087 call rates, and it is clear the Vodafone options are clearer!!!!!!!

O2 do however offer add-ons that offer various other free allowances, one of which is free each month. One gives 100 free messages per month. This puts the 02 price plans slightly ahead. However, extra add-ons cost €7.50 each. Examples of extra add ons are free voicemail and another being a service similar to vodafone's CAFF service. Both these are offered as standard on all Vodafone price plans.

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    Right, I cant beleive you lot can be so one sided.
    i am? i better spend some time tomorrow and call all those companies/people i've recommended contract with vodafone, and get them to re-consider and join the other companies/people i've recommended contract with O2 then!
    I happen to work for Vodafone...
    you don't think some of use mere mortals might be able to understand them too (and perhaps be a little more objective) ;)

a major factor in the cost of a montly bill is down to the type of calls you make, i.e. within the same network, to another network, peak or off peak, text messaging, WAP, Voicemail or any other value added services. There will be some situations where your O2 bill will be higher no matter what, or visa versa.
    really... so unless you know the person's calling behaviour it's not easy to do a direct comparison...
    Originally posted by DubWireless

all depends what type of numbers they would be calling the most, time of day they would use the phone the most, if they were more of a texter than a talker, would they be using data services... etc... etc...
    :rolleyes:

BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I would tend to concur with the view that it’s difficult to make price comparisons between O2 and Vodafone given that they have differing pricing structures.

rander00, some of your postings on this thread have been offensive to say the least, and I’ve received a number of complaints. Consider yourself banned.

I think this thread has gone far enough, lest it degenerate further. Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement