Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Via /Netsource Who's connected ?

Options
  • 01-05-2003 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,417 ✭✭✭✭

Seen lots of ppl posting here that they have subscribed to via , but not sure if anyone has begun to sucessfully use their service yet.

So anyone here connected?, whats speeds/pings etc like?

Just got new phoneline installed here today, and installing engineer said adsl should be no problem, so would like to see what the via service is like, as i'll surely go with them if ppl here have positive experiences.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

Not me. Ordered it on the 15th of April. Don't think it will happen tomorrow so hopefully Tues/Wed next week. :ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭disco_rob_funk

whoop whoop whoop whoop whoop whoop whoop!

So far, up to a combined download rate of 50k/sec or so; I'm sure I can do better in time; pinged jolt.co.uk in 30ms average!

Whoopah!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by disco_rob_funk
    So far, up to a combined download rate of 50k/sec or so; I'm sure I can do better in time; pinged jolt.co.uk in 30ms average!

Whoopah!

someone's on netsource !!! LOL

m8, can you post up a specific ping to 'clarity.jolt.co.uk' + what router (if your using a router) are you using?

thx

30ms is really impressive BTW, was expecting it to be in the 40 or 50's

also, can ya post up some settings for your modem, eg, VCI settings, using PPPoe?. What did you get in the self install kit?

questions questions questions :)

• Advertisement

32ms right on the money, left it pinging for a minute!

I didn't get the kit in the mail yet, I've a filter on my Zoom 5560 X3 Ethernet Modem/Router and I got the details off joan@netsource.ie...

PPPoE/LLC
    VCI 35
    VPI 8
    PAP
    DNS: 212.17.32.3 (.1 for secondary)
    Bridging off
    Subnet mask to default
    UBR

apart from my ID & PW, nothing else was needed. Counter-intuitively, putting in my fixed IP address into the modem config botched it up, so 0.0.0.0 for modem's IP & auto for Windows' IP should sort y'all out

thats excellent m8, thx

Now all I need my password+ID and eircom to get off their a$$ and activate my line ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,417 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

The ping times look nice , looks promising :)

anyone else hooked up yet?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭leonlafrite

How long does it take to receive user/pwd from Netsource ?
    Also I should be connected next Tuesday (13 days after faxing info)hopefully but I haven't heard anythin yet... anybody in that situation ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Originally posted by leonlafrite
    How long does it take to receive user/pwd from Netsource ?
    Also I should be connected next Tuesday (13 days after faxing info)hopefully but I haven't heard anythin yet... anybody in that situation ?

Im in the same boat.
    Seems like these are the longest days of my life.
    :(

• Advertisement

I have just contacted Netsource.
    :(:( I will not be connected before the week end :(:(:(:(:(

On a positive note, it is on the way. As far as they could tell me(very nice support people, well worth the extra 12 euro compare to those Eircom robots) I should be connected by Tuesday next :confused: I hope.

I think the 11-12 original days will be respected due to all those bank Holiday...

I cannot wait much longer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭p2p

leonlafrite ,

What date did you fax in the details?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Got onto Netsource yesterday. Even though I faxed everything in on April 25, they said it would be *at least* eleven days from last Tuesday until things get setup. That'll be nearly a month since I ordered.

In their defence - they're blaming Eircom, because its a newish line and that gave them a problem. But still - it's going to be twice as long as they say in the promos.

p2p

I faxed in my details on the 23/4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I faxed in my details on Apr 16th, tomorrow i think it will be the 16th working day waiting since then ! (not counting all those bank holidays)
    I have heard nothing about activation yet (:

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

I faxed my order in on the 15th and was installed yesterday. They have a huge list of people to get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

I really really want to get this service, but I was wondering if Esat or Eircom are worth the extra cash.. roughly how long is the waiting list now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭CutterIE

I faxed my order through on the 29/4 (after cancelling with eircom), called them up last Tuesday just to make sure everything was going OK with my order and they said that I'd be switched on on the 14/5.

If this happen's I will be very suprised.

Cheers
    Will

Quick setup q.

Put in all the settings disco_rob kindly posted

PPPoE/LLC
    VCI 35
    VPI 8
    PAP

IP : 0.0.0.0

And my tcp/ip is set to obtain automatically.

Havnt entered the DNS as its looking for a host and
    a domain, anyone know what these are??

Cheers,
    M

Received my splitters through the post today from Netsource but still not had my line enabled..

Oh well maybe next week.

Cheers
    Will

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

Up and cruising at 512k!

God, broadband at home is cool. I was used to it at work, but it seems even better at home, probably cause you're the only one using it.

Traceroutes and pings later. For now, here is a pic from my router with some techy details on the adsl line setup.

I'm up and running too and yes it is great :cool:

I know it's _R_ for rate _adaptive_ADSL but its acting in a funny manner ..

Eg , if i'm downloading something it might only download at between 22 and 30kbs but yet i can download somthing else and get 16/18kbs at the same time hence a combined 46kbs...

Seems it only uses up the full 46 ish kbs only when really pushed, it wont for instance download item 1 at the full throttle,

Anyone else have the same thing or is mine just playing up?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

that's windows speed reporting your reading right?
    That only updates every 500ms or so.
    Not a true indication of throughput.

Aside:

How much does Netsource cost the everage joe per month (including any domain registration loop-hole malarcy) plus VAT?

Is it available nationwide(rea:Galway City) or just for you shower of jackeens?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

WRT download speeds, it will depend on the source of the download. It may not to able/configured to send at 512k. Lots of download sites will limit the amount each user will get.

I've been watching some of the Tricks at uefa.com, they download pretty well!

http://www.uefa.com/multimedia/video/Search.htmx?txtSearch=trick

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

Originally posted by p2p
    If i'm downloading something it might only download at between 22 and 30kbs but yet i can download somthing else and get 16/18kbs at the same time hence a combined 46kbs...

Seems it only uses up the full 46 ish kbs only when really pushed, it wont for instance download item 1 at the full throttle,
    What operating system are you using? If it's Windows 98, your default TCP/IP window size might be a bit small - check out http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php for some tweaks to fix this (at your own risk!)

It could also be that the sites you're downloading from can't send you data fast enough. Try a test download from somewhere like microsoft.com.

I posted on here yesterday saying that I had received my splitter and filters from Netsource, I now believe that the splitter and filters were send from eircom (even though I had cancelled my order with eircom on the 28th of April) as a friend from work also received the same package yesterday, and had also cancelled his eircom order but has not order from another ISP as yet, there was no information in the package (no CD eirther) but I did phone Netsource up and advised them that I had received there splitter but that there was no info or CD, Netsource advised that they were sending the packages out like this, Hum?

I will contact Netsource on Monday

Cheers
    Will

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭shinzon

Ye lucky bollocks all of ye, enjoy the BB experience

Regards Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Got my splitters yesterday, they arrive in a large envelope with a big Netsource sticker on it. It contains documentation and the splitters again, the documentation has Netsource all over it.

Had some problems getting the router connected but all is sorted now :)

Stick in Primary DNS as 212.17.32.3, and .1 for secondary; p2p you didn't mention whether you added them in or not. Might sort your d/l rates out.

RC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Originally posted by disco_rob_funk
    Stick in Primary DNS as 212.17.32.3, and .1 for secondary; p2p you didn't mention whether you added them in or not. Might sort your d/l rates out.

RC

DNS has no bearing on direct download speeds but merely translates names to IP addresses.

carb.

Advertisement