Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potatoes

• 01-05-2003 8:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭

So I opened my pack of potatoes that hadn't been touched for a few weeks and they had started growing roots. It really made me feel bad to stick them in the oven and bake them as they now seemed like living entities. It felt like I was putting live babies into the oven, I tell you I almost had a tear in my eye.

Anyway, how do you like yours (considering you have gotten over the fact that potatoes are living beings also, how hypocritical of vegans to eat potatoes tbqfh)?

My favourite is roasted. Roasting afaik is baking but with oil. Some other ways of nice potatoes are:
    •Parboil potatoes without skins, take them out of the water and put them in a pot, put the lid on and shake the pot vigorously. This will take small chunks out of the surface and make the tatties more floury. You can then bake or roast them.
    •This may be called... darn can't remember the name... You slice potatoes into fairly thin slices and lay them out on a dish and pur milk over them and bake 'em. you can add breadcrumbs and grated cheese on top too.

Any more?

Oh I find mashed potatoes with the skin left on are great, throw in some chopped fried mushrooms and a bit of parmezan and you are rocking.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

Potato gratin I think is what you're talking about.
    Yum yum, especially with a mushroom and garlic topping. My husband makes damn good gratin!

When you really want spuds but it's a nice summer day, then potato salad is yummy, I like my potatos sorta mashed rather than chunky in my pot salad, mixed with some mayo, some wholegrain mustard and some parsley sprinkled on top! yum yum yum!

oh you also can't beat REAL chips, sliced potatos in the deep fat fryer a la my MA!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

for some unknown reason, every time I have a hangover I long for mashed potatoes

my particular favourite

mash up a loada spuds with butter, salt, pepper, onion and choped up ham
    put in oven till there's a little crust on top and eat.
    mouth watering.........

I'm hungry now! :(
    thanks gordie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I'm not a particularly big fan to be honest.

Roast and baked are passable.

For some strange reason I once enjoyed a bowl of Smash!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by Gordon
    It felt like I was putting live babies into the oven...

Cooked babies, nyom.
    BTW, your second dish is called potato gratin.*

*Oops, just noticed that commuterised has already mentioned that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

Not a big fan of spuds really. But Roasties with lashings of gravey is great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

- "Wots 'Taters?"
    * "PO - TA - TOS, Fry em, mash em, put em in a stew...."

really crispy roasted ones, yum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Mashed (with a splash of milk and a dollop of butter and some chopped spring onion - champ, I think) or roasted (having been basted in the juice from the chicken or turkey so they go all meaty and crispy).

I'm so glad tomorrow is Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

My Mom has this trick were she microwaves peeled spuds before roasts them. It's fucking teh win, especially if they're new Irish spuds.

Yum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 loveheartsandnicotine

Originally posted by Beruthiel
    for some unknown reason, every time I have a hangover I long for mashed potatoes

my particular favourite

mash up a loada spuds with butter, salt, pepper, onion and choped up ham
    put in oven till there's a little crust on top and eat.
    mouth watering.........

I'm hungry now! :(
    thanks gordie!
    do that, but then add grated cheese and breadcrumbs mixed on top before it goes into the oven........droooool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Sandi

Gotta love crispy roast spuds. Mmm...
    I bought a pack of baby potatoes and boiled them. While this boiling was going on I grated some cheese, chopped up some chives & mixed the chives with the cheese.
    I cut open the spuds, put loads of the cheese n' chives stuff in the middle and it was well tasty!
    (I'm a HUGE cheese fan)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Gaffo

Baby new potatoes, skins on, olive oil, rosemary and rock salt in a very hot oven. Beautiful.
    Regular roasters have to be par-boiled before-hand. Don't leave too much juice of the chicken in the roasting dish or thay won't crisp up properly.
    For mash Kolodny has the idea. Some milk, some onion slowly fried in butter, salt, pepper and knob of butter. Mash and gravy is da bomb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

fried potatoes with onions and mushrooms ynom ynom ynom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,529 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

From Rick Stein's taste of the Sea: Baby potatoes, boiled for 10 minutes (obviously in their jackets!), mash lightly with a fork, add some extra virgin olive oil, rock salt, freshly ground pepper, and fresh herbs of your liking (Parsley and Thyme work for me!)...

Scrummy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Baby new potatoes boiled in their skins until just cooked then allow to cool.

Peel and then fry in some olive oil or butter until golden.

Sprinkle with parsley for yummy sauteed spuds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Samara

My speciality is baked potatoes, cook, cut in half, scoop out potato

Meanwhile zap some onions & mushrooms, melt some grated cheese with some milk until it is creamy. Mix cheese with onions, mushrooms, some chopped ham and scooped out potato. Put mixture back into potato skins and back into oven until browned...yum!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

WHAT THE ****, HUH?!? I MEAN, WHAT THE ****ING ****?!?!?!

POTATOES?!? FREAKS!!

so anyway mashed with chicken and gravy and peas and lots of gravy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭flyz

Potatoes , Milk , Butter, Baked Beans and Cheese and mash em all together.

nyom :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Mewzel

baked with coleslaw, or melted cheese.
    also gotta love potato salad, nyom! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Snowball

One way I like them (and they are so adictive its unreal, its like pringles but homemade), its a bit of work but worth it, here goes:

If you get them and cut them into little cubes, deep fry them for a while. take them out and put them on kitchen paper to get rid of the oil. Then season them with salt and pepper to taste then u put whatever you want on them. Chilli, barbeque, anything lying around the kitchen and stick them in the oven. Aromat works to or any of those pre-made flavoring that the herb ppl make.

enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I can't believe no one mentioned the reason god made potatoes....

... to make CHIPS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Roast spuds with enough butter to poison small mammals. Throw in a spot of mate and yer sor-ted!

Failing that, homemade chips with some pizza or wishwash.....christ this thread has made meh hungry.

Advertisement