Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US to withdraw from UN?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

LOL... crap.

Although there are occasional fruity bills sent up. I hope this one recieves the contempt it deserves.

They had a bill recently to remove all the US dead from cemetarys in France. What the person didn't know is those cemetarys are considered US terrortity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Bob the Unlucky Octopus

I recall there being a bill about changing the state flower of Rhode Island not too long ago. Jesse Helms used to have his little crusades too, trying to ban "obscene art". Politics throws up some curve-balls occasionally, one-offs that deserve to be ignored. Besides, the US would never pull out of the UN- know why? Because there'd be nobody to veto the resolutions demanding Israel to withdraw from the occupied territories.

Wouldn't want to deny them the right to shoot little stone-throwing boys on land they have no right to would we now? :rolleyes:

The UN may be little more than a talking shop on security issues, but it's a talking shop we helped to create and it suits our interests to be a part of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Éomer of Rohan

If I was a religious man, I'd sit and pray fervently for the US to withdraw for exactly that reason - no one to veto resolutions aimed at Israel. There are really no disadvantages if France and Britain remained in the UN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

Useful rule of thumb: Those who slag off the UN the most are those who owe it the most, and I don't just mean financially, although I believe the US is also the biggest debtor in respect of its subscriptions.

eg Israel: regularly portrays the UN as a haven for dictators and terrorists and accuses it of anti Israeli bias. Yet it owes the UN for its legal right to exist. Israel was created following a United Nations resolution in 1947 which partitioned what was then British mandate Palestine into Jewish and Arab areas. The Jews then immediately started acquiring strategically important territory outside what had been allocated to them, usually by a policy of what we would now call ethnic cleansing, and in 1948 declared the state of Israel. Following which, the surrounding Arab countries declared war and invaded, without much success.

The US owes the lives of thousands of its soldiers in the recent conflict to the UN weapons inspectors who effectively disarmed Iraq of what weapons of mass destruction it had. Yes it took 12 years, the process was tortuous and fractious, but that's democracy and diplomacy for you. Then the US said: 'Thanks lads. Appreciate it. We're going in now' and blitzed the largely defenceless populace.

It's going to be easy to get guerilla armies to decommission following that example, isn't it?

eg Israel: regularly portrays the UN as a haven for dictators and terrorists and accuses it of anti Israeli bias. Yet it owes the UN for its legal right to exist. Israel was created following a United Nations resolution in 1947 which partitioned what was then British mandate Palestine into Jewish and Arab areas. The Jews then immediately started acquiring strategically important territory outside what had been allocated to them, usually by a policy of what we would now call ethnic cleansing, and in 1948 declared the state of Israel. Following which, the surrounding Arab countries declared war and invaded, without much success.

Oddly enough everyone looks at what Israel did at that time. Palestine came into effect at the same time as Israel, and from their inception pushed against Israeli interests. Just as did the other Arab nations. I'm not saying that Israel is not to blame for their actions, but you have to take into account that the Arab nations performed such actions aswell. Also consider that it was the Arab nations that declared war on Israel, not the other way around. Many people have laid the blame on Iraq, that the reason for their recent downfall is due to their invasion of Kuwait years ago. The same falls on Palestine.

The israeli actions which the above is considered as ethnic clensing was also performed by arabs, and the arabs openly acknowledged that they would kill every jew in the middle east should they have won.

I might be pro-israel, but at least i'm not blind to their actions. Whereas the anti-israel crowd seem to be very selective.

As for the US withdrawing from the UN, they won't. They have too much power there, and won't want France, or Germany filling the vaccum, of their withdrawal. They'll stay part of it, however they'll continue to do whatever they like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Well, this thread ran off from where I was hoping it would go :D For the record, it's really unlikely that this will go through (the guy that put it forward has done so several times before without effect). I just wanted to consider what the effects would be if it was to happen.

klaz,
    Nice can of worms - where do I sign up to be neither pro- nor anti-israel?

Nice can of worms - where do I sign up to be neither pro- nor anti-israel?

Is that really an option? Although if there is, then i'm sure that area will get quite crowded. :)

As for the can of worms, i totally agree, bt i can never resist when i see a post that ignores arab actions, and focuses totally on israeli actions. A weakness in me, i suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭bobsmith833

Originally posted by Éomer of Rohan
    If I was a religious man, I'd sit and pray fervently for the US to withdraw for exactly that reason - no one to veto resolutions aimed at Israel. There are really no disadvantages if France and Britain remained in the UN.
    The UN would fall apart at the seams if the US were to leave, as it is already threatening to do simply by their noncompliance with its wishes - do you really think britain, france, china and russia have enough clout to do anything about israeli occupation even if they happened to unite forces? The strong yiddish movement in the states would prevent any such action taking place on threat of all out nuclear war, rendering the new UN impotent.

klaz,
    Is that really an option?
    Yes it is. I'm anti-violence and pro-rule-of-law... unfortunately both sides are pissing me off :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Biffa Bacon

To be honest it doesn't really matter if they withdraw or not. The UN is now completely irrelevant.

• Advertisement

Only in relation to opposing US foreign policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭QBall

Originally posted by Sparks
    Only in relation to opposing US foreign policy.

Not entirely. I wouldn't have seen weapons inspections in Iraq over the years as being specifically "US foreign policy".

In 1998 the UN pulled its weapons inspectors out of Iraq due to the fact that Iraq was not fully cooperating, and was in fact deliberately frustrating the UN's attempts to carry out inspections.

In 1998 the UN allowed itself to be pushed around by one country: Iraq.
    In 2002/3 it then allowed itself be pushed around by another country: the USA
    It has continuously been ignored by Israel.

I'm sure I could find more examples of this, but I think you can see my point:

The UN is not respected by many countries, not just the US. If the UN was working as it should be then countries would contribute to it equally and they would accept the consequences of any and all resolutions passed by it.

The moment one nation, whatever its size or power, ignores the UN is the moment when it comes under threat. The UN's inability to respond in a decisive manner to countries disrespecting it is what makes it irrelevant. The fact that single countries can "get away with" (for want of a better phrase) pushing the UN around is disgraceful.

The UN is supposed to represent the entire world yet so many countries have given it the two fingers and done what they wanted to do anyway. Compliance with the UN's decisions is an option, not a requirement and that is what makes it irrelevant.

The UN would fall apart at the seams if the US were to leave, as it is already threatening to do simply by their noncompliance with its wishes
    This is delusional.
    IF the UNSC minus the United States were united (as they generally are) against Israel then much could be done and the first thing that would pull Israel back into line would be economic sanctions - even if the US picked up the tab of economic sanctions, something that would be favoured by the Yiddish movement you mentioned, they could not account for the lost trade without expending Billions more USD than they already do and if this were the case, I'd be quite happy to let them personally. The US would NOT move against Britain regardless of anything Britain did on the international stage short of attacking the US itself or US 'territories' - the Philippines, Guam, the Marianas etc.

Given that the US will default on it's foreign debt before the end of may unless the debt ceiling is raised another trillion to $7.38 trillion, I doubt they could pick up the tab on economic sanctions against Israel.

Qball,
    Weapons inspectors in Iraq were not opposing US foreign policy.
    When kicked out of Iraq in '98, UNSCOM had eliminated an estimated 97% of Iraq's nastier weapons and it was generally accepted that the remainder were destroyed in bombings by the US.
    The continous ignoring of UNSC resolutions by Israel is a myth - they have ignored other UN resolutions, but thanks to the US vetoing any and all anti-Israel resolutions in the UNSC, they've never had to worry about one. The other UN resolutions were not in the same chapter as resolutions like 678 and other such resolutions that allowed for military action.

I'm afraid that the majority of the damage suffered by the UN in recent years lies with (in order), the US, Russia and China.
    Short of having a military force that could counter all three of these simultaenously, there's not much that can be done.
    Reforming the UNSC veto mechanism though, would be a good step in the right direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

The UN already looks like a bit of a joke after the Iraq situation. If the US were to leave, it wouldnt actually mean anything. Im not saying this cos im pro-US or anything; its the truth. Fundamentally, the UN exists to prevent a global war. Without any global players, this becomes impossible.

The UN bears too much resemblance to the League of Nations as things stand. I dont personally think it means anything to todays US government anyway.

A

Unfortunately, if you're correct and the UN is irrelevant, it doesn't bode well for our future at all.

Originally posted by Sparks
    Weapons inspectors in Iraq were not opposing US foreign policy.

Exactly, so the UN's role in life is not to oppose US foreign policy. :-)
    When kicked out of Iraq in '98

They left on their own decision. Granted, it may have actually been a "we'll jump before we're pushed" scenario, but publicly the UN pulled out on their own. I'll edit with a URL to the story if wanted.
    The continous ignoring of UNSC resolutions by Israel is a myth - they have ignored other UN resolutions...

I never said UNSC, I said UN.
    Reforming the UNSC veto mechanism though, would be a good step in the right direction.

Most definitely. As far as I am concerned, all vetoes should go. Giving a country a veto is implicitly saying that that country is more important than a country without a veto.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

The US are getting too big for their boots. I reckon the rest of us gang up and kick the living sh*t out of them. Who do they think they are?

Who do they think they are?

Perhaps the most powerful nation both military & politically wise?

Theres simply no-one to keep them in line.

QBall - well, '98 was the equivalent of staggering out of a bar under your own power, with six bouncers two feet behind you :D

Klaz,
    Perhaps the most powerful nation both military & politically wise?
    Theres simply no-one to keep them in line.
    *looks at US economy*
    Yet...

• Advertisement

*looks at US economy*

Regardless of their economy, they still have the most political clout in the world. And their military is still the most powerful in the world. Their economy might be going down the toilet, but that won't change the status of the above that much. In fact their military might become more powerful as a result. Countries in trouble generally increase their military for some reason.

Regardless of their economy, they still have the most political clout in the world. And their military is still the most powerful in the world. Their economy might be going down the toilet, but that won't change the status of the above that much. In fact their military might become more powerful as a result. Countries in trouble generally increase their military for some reason.
    I find this stunningly (and untypically) naive. The US military has always existed for one reason and one reason only; to protect US commercial interests - from the invasion of Texas to the Mexican War to the invasion of the Philippines to the invasion of Nazi Germany, there has been one driving motivation; money. Not always governmental money, sometimes personal money, but always money. What is more, the armed forces are based upon the economy obviously - if there is no money there are no weapons - best case, the Former Soviet Union.
    Furthermore, their political clout is related only to how much money they are making other regimes - if they have a seriously weak economy, they could be knocked off their perch really easily - no one likes the US; certain regimes need US approval to maintain their oppressive positions, some need friendly relations in order to trade, all including many in the UK hate the US whether for real reasons or for reasons such as the arrogance of the US and jealousy of the power they have. If the US economy really did go down the toilet, the vultures would be circling within minutes and all the while, the only real loser is the common man rather than the billionaires safe in their multimillion dollar homes.

Originally posted by Eomer of Rohan
    ...from the invasion of Texas to the Mexican War to the invasion of the Philippines to the invasion of Nazi Germany, there has been one driving motivation; money.

Just curious, how do you link the pursuit of money to the invasion of Nazi Germany? It doesn't sound too plausible to me, but then again my knowledge of history is not exhaustive.
    no one likes the US;

Sorry, my sweeping generalisation detector went off the scale. Eh, I like the US. Does this mean I'm evil? My liking the US doesn't mean that I agree with their policies (foreign and domestic) all the time, but in my experience the people are pleasant and friendly and are not out to get the rest of the world. Unfortunately they are lead by a complete muppet, but then again so are we. We get what we vote for.
    the only real loser is the common man rather than the billionaires safe in their multimillion dollar homes.

Man, that sounds bitter.

Just curious, how do you link the pursuit of money to the invasion of Nazi Germany? It doesn't sound too plausible to me, but then again my knowledge of history is not exhaustive.
    Republican Senator Gerald Nye of North Dakota chaired a senate committee which concluded that America had entered the First World War to "Save the Skins of American bankers and that this continued as motivation to the second war"

Source; "America Rules" Tom Hanahoe.
    ry, my sweeping generalisation detector went off the scale. Eh, I like the US. Does this mean I'm evil? My liking the US doesn't mean that I agree with their policies (foreign and domestic) all the time, but in my experience the people are pleasant and friendly and are not out to get the rest of the world

Sorry, I was not referring to individuals, I was rather referring to governments (which you aren't:D ) - and it is true - in fact it is the nature of nation states.
    Man, that sounds bitter
    Anyone not embittered when they look at the state of the world obviously does not appreciate the state of affairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

it seems a bit odd to be crowing about the US economic decline when most European ones are passing it down the toilet.

Oh if only there was something to crow about - mayhaps I shall live to see the day when the Eisenhower Miltary Industrial Complex comes crashing down in economic ruin and the US people decide to claim the billions of dollars that is rightfully theirs and not the possession of those at the pinnacle of capitalism, the master exploiters, the puppeteers. But he is right, most economies at this point are looking shaky.

Republican Senator Gerald Nye of North Dakota chaired a senate committee which concluded that America had entered the First World War to "Save the Skins of American bankers and that this continued as motivation to the second war"

Source; "America Rules" Tom Hanahoe.

I was actually looking for some evidence suggesting that the US made a direct profit from participating in the Second World War (preferably figures), but either way...

Senator Nye's committee was set up at his suggestion to investigate the profits made by the munitions industry. This, along with his isolationist outlook would very obviously lead to him saying things like your quote above.

"Nye remained a staunch isolationist during the emergence of Adolf Hitler and Benito Mussolini in Europe."
    (http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/USAnyeG.htm)

That is, his politics were the primary reason why he said your quote above, not any particular hard evidence. IMHO isolationism in the US pre-WW2 was idiotic. Whatever about Saddam Hussein, was it not abundantly clear that Hitler and Mussolini were a serious threat to global stability?

Still, isn't trade a much safer, easier, cheaper way of making money? (It also offers better guarantees of success)

The US is hardly so stupid as to think that war is their best way of making money. Their munitions industry will still sell to the US armed forces regardless of whether or not there is an impending war and many of their industries (notably the airlines) suffer greatly in time of war.
    Sorry, I was not referring to individuals, I was rather referring to governments (which you aren't) - and it is true - in fact it is the nature of nation states.

I'm sorry if my comments on the American people mask what I said. I was initially talking about the nation as a whole, then I talked about the people. Everyone does not dislike the US, even though you'd apparently like that to be true.

I have a long list of countries I like less than the USA, starting with the dictatorships and/or oppressive states.

China springs to mind. How come you seem to be continuously worked up about the US when over 1 billion people are under the control of that particular brutal and oppressive regime?

At least the US governments policies are a product of democracy and hence represent the will of the people in that country (to the extent possible with representative democracy). GWB's approval rating has been consistantly over 50% since his "election"[1] (http://www.pollingreport.com/BushJob.htm) which seems to suggest that it is the will of the US people that they continue to be as they are.

Anyone not embittered when they look at the state of the world obviously does not appreciate the state of affairs.

Well, maybe I'm just the eternal optimist then. Either that or I'm just bitter about other things than you.

[1] For a short explanation on how the American voting system is the one most likely to end in paradoxical results I reccommend "The Universe and the Teacup: The Mathematics of Truth and Beauty" by K.C. Cole. In fact, you should probably read it anyway as it is an excellent book.

I was actually looking for some evidence suggesting that the US made a direct profit from participating in the Second World War (preferably figures), but either way...

Senator Nye's committee was set up at his suggestion to investigate the profits made by the munitions industry. This, along with his isolationist outlook would very obviously lead to him saying things like your quote above.

"Nye remained a staunch isolationist during the emergence of Adolf Hitler and Benito Mussolini in Europe."
    (http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/USAnyeG.htm)

That is, his politics were the primary reason why he said your quote above, not any particular hard evidence. IMHO isolationism in the US pre-WW2 was idiotic. Whatever about Saddam Hussein, was it not abundantly clear that Hitler and Mussolini were a serious threat to global stability?

Still, isn't trade a much safer, easier, cheaper way of making money? (It also offers better guarantees of success)

The US is hardly so stupid as to think that war is their best way of making money. Their munitions industry will still sell to the US armed forces regardless of whether or not there is an impending war and many of their industries (notably the airlines) suffer greatly in time of war.
    I don't think it fair to attribute the results of this report to one man when this investigation was not carried out by him, simply chaired by him and furthermore, it is important to note that this is what the Senate themselves accepted as true - from the report (which I have extracts of) the Rockefellers and the Morgans were implicated in serious lobbying to go to war against Nazi Germany as they stood to loose a fortune if the status quo were held.
    I'm sorry if my comments on the American people mask what I said. I was initially talking about the nation as a whole, then I talked about the people. Everyone does not dislike the US, even though you'd apparently like that to be true.
    You misunderstand what I mean; I was referring to the attitude of nation state to nation state not personal to nation state.
    At least the US governments policies are a product of democracy and hence represent the will of the people in that country (to the extent possible with representative democracy). GWB's approval rating has been consistantly over 50% since his "election"[1] (http://www.pollingreport.com/BushJob.htm) which seems to suggest that it is the will of the US people that they continue to be as they are.
    If there is one thing I hate, it is a hypocrit - and that is what the US is writ large. The US purports to defend freedom and democracy across the world while itself curtailing the freedom of millions of people who just don't happen to be US citizens and itself being a plutocracy. What is more, several of the Presidents of the United States agree with me on this one - check out what Presidents Hayes, Wilson and Theodore Roosevelt have to say on the matter. In fact during the first world war, Eugene Victor Debs, a worker activist, was locked up for saying it. Between 1933-1980, 75.5 percent of the Senate and House of Representatives have been from the Debsian 'elite class.' America may be the most democractic in how many positions are chosen by 'election' but elections such as these can be bought and although things like the Presidency are won through elction, the nomination is won by corporate support for you and your policies. I am very pro-democracy but quite simply, America isn't one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i wudnt blame them, the UN is a sham

• Advertisement

Originally by Eomer of Rohan
    I don't think it fair to attribute the results of this report to one man when this investigation was not carried out by him, simply chaired by him and furthermore, it is important to note that this is what the Senate themselves accepted as true - from the report (which I have extracts of) the Rockefellers and the Morgans were implicated in serious lobbying to go to war against Nazi Germany as they stood to loose a fortune if the status quo were held.

The results of the report may not have been due to Senator Nye, but I think it's fair to say that most committees take their lead from their chairman. It would also be fair to say that Senator Nye had a certain bias, and the committee was set up at his suggestion to investigate a topic of his choosing. He set out to prove something and he did it.

True, the Rockefellers and co. were probably seriously lobbying to go to war with Nazi Germany on economic grounds, but unless the entire US was morally incontinent at the time, I'm sure there were many who were lobbying for war on grounds other than economic ones.

I do not deny that powerful pro-war lobbying was made on economic grounds but I find it implausible that that was the primary reason for going to war. I would say that the US was far more concerned with the idea of Nazi Germany and/or Communist Russia running Europe, as they posed greater threats to the US as a whole rather than to particularly large powerful industrialists.
    You misunderstand what I mean; I was referring to the attitude of nation state to nation state not personal to nation state.

OK, so let me get this straight: When you said "no one likes the US" were you saying that no nation in the world likes the US? If so I think I'll stop bothering to respond to your posts as you are too caught up in your own personal beliefs to possibly understand that you are wrong. If not, then maybe we can talk.
    If there is one thing I hate, it is a hypocrit - and that is what the US is writ large. The US purports to defend freedom and democracy across the world while itself curtailing the freedom of millions of people who just don't happen to be US citizens and itself being a plutocracy. What is more, several of the Presidents of the United States agree with me on this one - check out what Presidents Hayes, Wilson and Theodore Roosevelt have to say on the matter. In fact during the first
    world war, Eugene Victor Debs, a worker activist, was locked up for saying it. Between 1933-1980, 75.5 percent of the Senate and House of Representatives have been from the Debsian 'elite class.' America may be the most democractic in how many positions are chosen by 'election' but elections such as these can be bought and although things like the Presidency are won through elction, the nomination is won by corporate support for you and your policies. I am very pro-democracy but quite simply, America isn't one.

It may not be a perfectly idealised democracy, but it is a democracy with all the flaws that come with that style of government. Don't get me wrong, I disagree wholeheartedly with their particular democratic method when it comes to electing a President but to say America is not a democracy is incorrect.

While it may be true that the majority of the US Senate and House of Representatives is made up of people from well-off backgrounds, you don't have to travel to the US to see that. Look at Irish politicians, look at British politicians, the majority come from reasonably well-off backgrounds. Does that mean that Ireland is not a democracy?

Who funds the major political parties in Ireland? Big business. (With the possible exception of Labour's income from unions. Then again, I wouldn't trust a union leader any more or less than I'd trust a big businessman.) Who influences major political policies in this country? Big business (and farmers and unions, but hey, they're just as corrupt/corruptible).

The fact is, like it or not, the people who go into politics are those who can afford to. This is not a particularly American thing, it's a feature of representative democracy. Unfortunately, elections are most often a glorified popularity contest where the person who can buy the best marketing wins. These days, most people do not actively try to learn about the candidates on offer. If you don't have the financial backing to grab people's votes and persuade them to actually cast their vote you don't have a hope of getting elected.

On another point, due to the way things are, people from better-off backgrounds tend to have a higher level of education. There are many exceptions to this, but on average, the richer you are, the better educated[1] you become. I don't like this, but I don't see it changing any time soon (at least in this country). What I do insist on is that the people in government are better educated than your average burger flipper.[2] This usually means that the people I would prefer in government are wealthier than average, but I don't hold wealth or lack thereof against anyone.

If all the people in a parliament are of 'average' background, they will have 'average' education. I do not find that acceptable. The only way for people of average background to successfully populate a parliament is for the education system of that state to be 100% equal access for all. This is not the case in any democratic country that I know of, and in this country it is getting worse, not better. But that's another debate.

-C

[1] N.B. I do not mean smarter. Many people accidentally fall into the trap of hearing smarter when I say better educated. I know too many well educated fools to make that mistake myself.
    [2] Apologies to anyone who reads this who works as a burger flipper. I mean no offence. :-)

Advertisement