Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scsi raid hard disks ?

• 02-05-2003 10:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭

When you have two disks in s RAID 1 mirror and you replace one of the disks with a faster, newer, disk, could that actualy increase the latency in the the perceived disk read/write speed if the PERC controller is trying to write to both disks and getting hung up over the speed difference?

The new disk is a Seagate Cheetah ST336706LW 10,000 rpm disk whist the original disk is an IBM Ultrastar DPSS-336950 7200 rpm.

Any ideas ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I dont think it matters too mugh... not positive though

I never saw the attraction of Raid 1 though.. i mean with the exception of 1 of the drives dies.. there is no redundancy at all!! If one gets arsed through software or missing files.. so will the other.. likewise with a virus...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

it may if you are moving a lot of small files, if its bigger ones though, the RAID setup will be of advantage to you.

Best thing to do is perhaps benchmark both setups and see what happens.

What kind of controller are you using? W, UW, U2, U160 etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

as far as i know either of two things will happen, either it wont work as the data is transferred concurrently and the speed differenec will confus it and it will all explode in a big puff of pea soup, or more likely, it will just transfere at the lower speed.

on the other hand.....

even if it did transfer at the slower and faster rate, it wouldnt make much difference really as you will still have a slower disk slowing down the process.
    better off just buying to new 15k disks.

but i would be interested to find if you do get a definate result

Advertisement