Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clampers - BEWARE

Options
  • 02-05-2003 10:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

You'll never guess what I saw.....

About 2 months ago I was driving home from work. I was on Pearse Street and the clamper boys were out in all their glory. They had the Lorry and were lifting a car there before the bridge (about 500M from Fireworks). Needless to say they were causing an obstruction and taking up a whole lane. But as people passed them by in the car they were giving them a little toot on the horn.
    'Well done Boys - Great Job!'

But one Clamper was taking it personally - he was racing around to the front of the lorry - wipping out his Digital Camera and taking a picture of the car that just went by - i.e. Making sure he got the number plate.

The boys were obviously going back to their station noting all the cars that hooted them and putting them on some kind of Hit List.

So if you're going to hoot the clampers make sure they can't see your number plate!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by ChiGung

But one Clamper was taking it personally - he was racing around to the front of the lorry - wipping out his Digital Camera and taking a picture of the car that just went by - i.e. Making sure he got the number plate.

I'm sure that's not what he was doing. There are always clampers out around where I work beside Baggot st, they have to take multiple photos of the car they're clamping, including photos that give a perspective of where the car was parked, in case of disputes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 ChiGung

That makes sense as to why they had a digital camera.

But this guy definately took a picture of the car that hooted him.

He made a big show about it too - wanting to let people know.

But like you say - this may have been an isolated case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

What is the position regarding clampers working on private land?Can landowners hire clampers to clamp cars parked on private land? Hope it never gets as bad as in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Yep, no problem

the only restraint is that notices must be up to that effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Bond-James Bond
    What is the position regarding clampers working on private land?Can landowners hire clampers to clamp cars parked on private land? Hope it never gets as bad as in England.
    Actually clamping on private land was found to be illegal in England (you can't take another's goods in lieu of a debt). However, no one seems to be brave enought to take a case here because they would most likely be trespassing (criminal offence) when they get clamped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

There are allot of SAFE area's in the city were clampers just do NOT go :) And allot of these have paystations. The reason? because they wouldn't get out of the area with everything intact. One example: the flats just off parnel st (which is handy parking for henry street etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Private clampers do most certainly exist, when i lived in the Kingscourt aprtment block on parnell street a while back, they frequently clamped cars parked in the residants car park.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Originally posted by STaN
    There are allot of SAFE area's in the city were clampers just do NOT go :) And allot of these have paystations. The reason? because they wouldn't get out of the area with everything intact. One example: the flats just off parnel st (which is handy parking for henry street etc)
    Sounds strange, because the locals wouldn't have any issues with them because the locals are entitled to resident parking spaces or resident parking disks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Originally posted by Victor
    Sounds strange, because the locals wouldn't have any issues with them because the locals are entitled to resident parking spaces or resident parking disks.

Well their designated council parkin spaces. Do you know the turn as you come from dorset onto parnell ... the road down there. The ILAC infront of you, UGC and Peats would be to your right a block or 2 down.

ON saturdays and sundays there would be residents out collecting money for MINDING your car. No-one uses the parking meeters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Private clampers are alive and well in Limerick - UL in particular. Our local friendly 'Clampus' Security take great pleasure in clamping anyone who pulls in behind the Stables to pop in to the ATM there, or clamping the student who's caught for time and leaves the car in a staff car park for an hour until they can move it.

I got clamped there myself once, and took great pleasure in removing the clamp myself (without damaging it mind) and dropping it in to the security desk with a satisfied smile on my face! Nothing ever came of it afterwards - they got their clamp back intact and undamaged so they had no criminal case against me.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by STaN
    ON saturdays and sundays there would be residents out collecting money for MINDING your car. No-one uses the parking meeters.
    Thats Dominick Street, hardly "SAFE" if people are extorting money.

Advertisement