Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

home network

Options
  • 02-05-2003 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭

this mite seem as a stupid question but.....i have two computers directly linked using crossover utp i can share printers and play games over the lan but how can i actually get programs and files from 1 to the other .....is there any software i should download....im new to networking and would like to mess around with it eg store mp3s on 1 while access from the other, share modem net connection etc....thanx in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

If you can browse the other computer in the network neighbourhood then it is probably just a matter of making sure that File and Printer Sharing is enabled and having one or more folders marked for sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

What os are you using? i just noticed SkepticOne beat me to the answer so do what he said.

I was assuming some form of Windows for both computers. If you want to share the modem connection, then enable ICS (internet connection sharing) on the computer with the modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭red vex

both win2000....to share files do i go into network places and add a folder i want to share?

i have redhat as well...wot could i do with samba....its hard to setup is it?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

make sure the folders you want to share are set for sharing. In explorer right click drive or folder and go to sharing.

• Advertisement

Also run some sort of firewall otherwise bad people will be able to access your files while it is on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

You probably just need to map the drives on each computer. Open "my computer" go to the tools menu at the top of the screen and click "map network drive". If you know the share names of the hard drives and computers you can type them in, otherwise click the browse button and find the drives you want to share. As Skeptic said you need to enable sharing on all relevant drives, just right click them in my computer and go to sharing and security.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

Start, Run

\\computerName\c$

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

Right click on a file, go to sharing and security and pick share this folder on a network. Then go to my network places on the other pc and hey presto the folder is there. Now simply copy and paste files around like you would for any other folder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭NITEMAN

I put that post in the wrong thread :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement