Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bluetooth Card Advice

• 02-05-2003 11:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭

Was just wondering could ye give me some advice on the Bluetooth Card or if any of ye have one is it any good?

I'm getting a new laptop and I have the option to put one of these in it? I have a Nokia 8310 so will this work with bluetooth?

Thanx in advance:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

I dont think the 8310 has bluetooth
    I have the 6510 which is basically the same phone and it doesnt have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Originally posted by jonno
    Was just wondering could ye give me some advice on the Bluetooth Card or if any of ye have one is it any good?

I'm getting a new laptop and I have the option to put one of these in it? I have a Nokia 8310 so will this work with bluetooth?

Thanx in advance:)

8310 doesn't have Bluetooth as PPC points out.

Nokia's Bluetooth Implementation for the 6210+Battery, 6310 and 6310i required a particular card (Nokia Own Brand, has since passed to Socket Communications) to work with the Nokia Suite Applications over Bluetooth. Although, dial-up and headset over bluetooth will work with the majority of cards and adapters out there.

The latest Firmware Revision for the 6310i is supposed to have made it more compatible/interoperable with a wider range of Bluetooth Adapters/Cards, haven't tried it out yet though.

The 7650/3650 can work with any adapter/card that supportes the Serial Port Profile (majority do), note the 7650 doesn't support the headset profile though.

TDK Systems is one of the best out there (get great support and regular updates), alternatively the Belkin card would be good.

You might want to try a USB adapter / at least you can pop it into a Desktop machine also (may be more flexibile option).

(Sony)Ericsson Phones have always been more interoperable for Bluetooth. (They were first to market so has more testing, had a better implementation and initally deveoped the technology).

hth,
    BrianG.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 729 ✭✭✭popinfresh

Does the sharp GX1 have bluetooth??

afriad not :(

the Nokia 7650, 6310(i), 8910(i); SonyEricsson T68i and Siemens S55 are the Bluetooth phones made available on the market from the operators here so far

hopefully we will see the Nokia 3650, SonyEricsson T610 and P800 soon

for some reason Nokia have decided no to implement Bluetooth in their more recently shipping handsets (7210, 7250, 6610, 6100, 6800)

hth,
    BrianG

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

At the moment, I'm afraid it looks like Bluetooth is on the way out. It just didn't really catch on the way people hoped it would.

I think Nokia are making the right decision by not including it in their latest line of phones. I adds to the cost and weight of the phone when only a tiny percentage of people actually use it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Dizz

/flame alert! :p
    Tut tut! It just people are expecting more from bluetooth than what it actually provides!
    See the thread up on slashdot.org from Sunday on the "death of bluetooth" (no wonder bluetooth is facing a death of some type especially when Microsoft appears to have limited commitment to it - try finding a BT driver that will work with their SDK! Maybe that's why I'm writing this post from linux! :p)

Dizz

E&OE

Originally posted by Sinecure
    At the moment, I'm afraid it looks like Bluetooth is on the way out. It just didn't really catch on the way people hoped it would.

I think Nokia are making the right decision by not including it in their latest line of phones. I adds to the cost and weight of the phone when only a tiny percentage of people actually use it.

that's a bit final - suppose time will tell...

there is an interesting tool called the hype curve, developed by a Gartner analyst (Jackie Fenn), that goes though 5 stages, they usually apply it to any new technology / product to show what happens when cutting-edge technologies are introduced

1] Technology trigger
    2] Peak of inflated expectations
    3] Trough of disillusionment
    4] Slope of enlightenment
    5] Plateau of productivity

it's been thought it's initially prohibitive high cost (comparing the price of kit from introduction in '01 to now) , complicated set-up (which still needs more work) and the mis-representation (like the direct competition against wifi) - so i'd be more of the opinion that at this stage the light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter, maybe getting from stage 3 into stage 4 in some areas and even edging towards 5 in others....

taking Nokia for example - they haven't dropped it, they just didn't see fit to include it with their last round up of mainstream handsets (maybe due to the fall-out they got with their 6310(i) implementation) - they are working even closer with one of the leaders of USB Dongle/Card Manufacturers (TDK) to get the handsets that do support it working more easily - Nokia itself expanded their Bluetooth portfolio with their announcement of the Image Viewer and Digital Pen

it's now built-in as standard to OS X, implementations of the Palm OS and Pocket PC and a (limited) addition to XP (if they can get the XP one back on board with a full implementation it would be a big deal)

it was (can still be) a nightmare to configure and left a bad taste in anyone's month who didn't manage to get the Krypton Factor like configuration sorted - but again this is being addressed as certain stacks/apps become market leaders (e.g. Widcomm), integration onto the OS and hardware manufacturers bundling helper apps and other useful utilities (e.g. TDK)

Carphone Warehouse last figures said that Bluetooth Sales were growing by around 125% month-on-month since April - the US are finally getting Bluetooth available in more handsets (including CDMA for the first time) - with an increasing number of PDAs integrating it and Laptops integrating Sony/Apple including and an option Tosh/Dell - CSR (who produce 60% of the chipsets) just shipped their 10th million Bluetooh chip last month

on the cost and weight side of the argument - there is a $5 critical point for Bluetooth implementation which is being reached my many silicon developers - the weight of a Bluetooth chip, not sure what you are comparing it to, but the last one i held was smaller and weighed less than a cent coin

sure it's not for everyone - but it's growing and gaining momentum so personally think it's got a decent life ahead of it - i use it pretty much every day

anyhow my take on it,
    BrianG

(this post was sent over a Bluetooth connection from the lounge to the main PC ;))

Advertisement