Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good DSL modem?

Options
  • 02-05-2003 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hey all....

Just ordered the new eircom service for the gaf. Reading other posts here I guess I'll be waiting a while but anyway could anyone give me any advice on what modem's are good?

I haven't really looked into it at all. Preferably I'd like a stand alone modem with an Ethernet interface, the line will be used on 1 pc initially but will probably be connected to a router at a later date when I have time to set a network up here.

Anyone got any reccomendations? Also I got the self install option is it really as easy as they say? Anything I should know about it?

thanks alot,

Cathal.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭disco_rob_funk

I'm working with the Zoom 5560 X3, it seems to do the trick; it's a single-port Ethernet Modem/Router, so all you need is a basic Switch/Hub to expand. Was only 100 yo's, and an 8-port switch for 50 sorted the LAN out nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 rez

Simple switch?

How does that work? Surely you need a router cabable of NAT?

I don't want a modem with an IP address I want a modem that will just be a modem and let my computer have the Internet IP.

thanks for any advice,

=rez=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭disco_rob_funk

yes the zoom line of routers are all NAT and NAPT capable; each computer is assigned an IP by the router which is hidden from the outside world.

If you just get a modem, you'll need a DSL router with n-port switch...it worked out cheaper to get a bog-standard switch and the router built into the modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭CutterIE

I have the Zoom X4 5551, gatway, router & firewall, I think it's almost the same as the Zoom X3 but has both ethernet and USB (which can both be used at the same time) nice web interface and easy to configure.

Now will someone switch my ADSL on so I can see if this fxxker works!!

Cheers
    Will

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Originally posted by rez

I don't want a modem with an IP address I want a modem that will just be a modem and let my computer have the Internet IP.

thanks for any advice,

=rez=

You're better off getting a Modem/Router combo now , which would allow for future expansion.You can then just disable NAT which would give you one IP address.

carb.

• Advertisement
Advertisement