Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No secure connection since ADSL?

Options
  • 02-05-2003 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    Since i got Eircoms Starter ive havent been able to view any HTTPS websites, ive checked my security settings in my browser and nothing seems out of place? would the modem/router/switch have to be configured to accept it?
    Very wierd......
    Any thoughts?
    Sean

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,697 ✭✭✭jd

Any error message?
    Can you telnet to port 443 of the site?
    What kinda setup do you have eg small lan to router , etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

No error message, juts the page pops up as if i wasnt connected to the web?
    And i havent a clue how to "telnet to port 443 of the site"

Im just logging on to www.365online.com and when i got to the secure part of the site it just doesnt load?
    How do i telnet?
    Thanks
    Sean

assuming win 95,98 or similar
    click start, then run

type telnet www.365online.ie 443

in the box that comes up.
    What happens-what do you see in the blue title bar when the telnet program lauches
    ie does it say telnet www.365online.ie 443 or NONE
    -does a connect failed dialog eventually appear?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

"could not open connection to the host on port 443, no connection be made because the target machine actviely refused it"

Im not too sure what that means?
    Do you?
    Sean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Are you using zone alarm or anything like that I had a a problem ages ago that was something like that which was caused by Zone Alarm. Try deinstalling and make sure it leaves no services running afterwards as hapened in my case. It worked for me ZA must have been malfunctioning as I am using it now after reinstalling it.

RED

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

I had trouble getting into 365online this evening too. I'm on Eircom starter too. Seems to be OK now. Might have been a problem on their side? The service has been a bit ropey recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭leonlafrite

I have seen this a couple of times, does anyone have a workaround or fix regarding this problem ?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭DSLinAbsentia

Check your firewall if it's a modem/gateway. By default, outbound connections are all enabled but it might be different in your case. Be careful about opening inbound ports/services though - you could compromise your system.

Telnet (port 23) would typically not be allowed any access to an SSL/TLS secured site because it doesn't support mutual authentication, only clear text passwords. You'd need to use a secure telnet package.

You should also try another HTTPS site (like viewing your Eircom account information online) as it's most likely a problem with the BOI site - the do schedule downtime for maintenance on a regular enough basis.

Originally posted by DSLinAbsentia

Telnet (port 23) would typically not be allowed any access to an SSL/TLS secured site because it doesn't support mutual authentication, only clear text passwords. You'd need to use a secure telnet package.

Just to be clear-I said telnet on port 443..

Advertisement