Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paypal

Options
  • 02-05-2003 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

I would like to use Paypal to carry out on line sales on my site.

What are your experiences with Paypal.

Costs?

Good/ Bad points?

Any working examples

Thanks

Motm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Ro-76

Originally posted by manonthemoon
    I would like to use Paypal to carry out on line sales on my site.

What are your experiences with Paypal.

Costs?

Good/ Bad points?

Any working examples

Thanks

Motm

I've been using it as a buyer for about 2 years.

I has worked flawlessly for me. The verification process is pretty watertight, since the person who registers must have access to the next statement/online banking to verify the card.

The downsides are that as a non-US user, I cannot verify my paypal registered billing address, so I'm dependent on sellers not worrying about this. I haven't run into a problem yet.

Second downside for you is that you can only withdraw funds to a US bank account. It is possible to setup non-resident bank accounts in the US (can't remember the link), but these can be a bit cumbersome. One method I did come accross sets up a Mastercard Debit card, so that the US account works as a Mastercard, except that you cannot go into the red. This is a simple way for a non-US resident to use the funds in the account.

Ro

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

how do you propose to withdraw money from your paypal account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭manonthemoon

I hadnt really thought about that. Is that a problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ThreadKiller

Very interested in doing this (& finding out how to open a US account)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭FreeHost

I nearly sure but just read the docs to check, you can setup an international account with your credit card, think it's $5.
    Then you can credit your own card from your paypay account, saves the hassel of opening another account.

• Advertisement

I thought using Paypal/ pay&Shop just means getting client to sign up as Paypal seller.

Paypal then supply code for website to link to secure server, wher buyer places order and transfers money through to buyers account. As paypal handles transaction, the money transfer will be secure.

Am I wrong here?

Is there other details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

What about NoChex.
    Can tat be used from Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ThreadKiller

Can you post directions freehost ?

I can't work out how to do that at all after three years !!!

One topic at a time please folks!

Has anyone used Paypal to Sell on their site & would they mind lettingt me know how they got on with it

Thanx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

Selling to Irish people using PayPal may not be very practical.
    Remember that if you are not already a member, new users can only sign up once they have provided the verification code that appears on their card statement.

That could take up to a month!

Also, Paypal won't pay into an Irish bank account.

It may be possible to credit funds into your own credit card account, but you would need to investigate it both from a Paypal point of view and also check with the bank that issued the card.

Another solution proferred was opening a US bank account, but new laws have come into effect in the US, pretty much preventing US banks from providing Intl bank accounts.

There seem to have been quite a few European alternatives that have sprung up of late, but I don't have a clue about them.

Ronan

Freehost could you please try and find some of those docs you might have read somewhere about setting up an international account with your credit card.

Paypal's stance on it at the moment is

Why can't I withdraw funds to my credit card?

PayPal has entered into agreements with MasterCard and Visa and we are unable to offer our members the ability to withdraw money to their credit card from their PayPal account.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Ro-76

Originally posted by FreeHost
    I nearly sure but just read the docs to check, you can setup an international account with your credit card, think it's $5.
    Then you can credit your own card from your paypay account, saves the hassel of opening another account.

That's a buyers account.

Ro.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You can setup an international verified seller's account BUT you cannot withdraw money from your account to an Irish bank OR to ANY credit card.
    You would need to have a UK or US credit card account to be able to make withdrawals...
    So the bottomline is that unless you have an account in the US or UK PayPal is not for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭FreeHost

I don't use PayPal to process Credit Cards, however, last year I set up an international account "just to see how it works".

I paid the $5 for the internation account, and the account has been verifed and seems to work OK, I mainly use it for buying software online.

When I set up the PayPal account, I nominated the Bank of Ireland in Dundrum as the bank to receive funds and this has been verified aswell. I logged into the account this morning and I see I have a withdrawl button, I assume if I withdraw funds it will be paid directly into my BOI account. As I said I have never tested this, but I'll get sombody to log into my account and send a couple of bob, then I'll withdraw it and see wher the money goes.

If it goes into my BOI account well then it's a runner, if not I'll send a complaint to PayPal as to why they verified BOI in the first place. I'll let you know how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Freehost : they verify your CC and everything else quite happily but you CANNOT withdraw to an Irish bank. This has been discussed here on boards more than once, on OPEN at least twice in the last 6 months and on WHT upteem times.

Have a look at the attached - it leaves zero doubts.

when you nominated your irish bank freehost, can you remember, did you just give them your 6 digit bank sort code, and your 8 digit account number?

or did you give them anything else?

the reason i ask is because 2checkout have an interesting thing about international transfers, all banks have an 8 - 11 swift code number, in the united states, which you could possibly use with paypal as well ....

https://www.2checkout.com/bank_details.html

yeah ehm, never mind, i got the swift code number for Bank of Ireland, it doesn't work.

freehost, I have no idea how you can a withdraw link in your account. let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

i have a 2CO and i get them to send me a check when it hits an amount, well i havent gotten anything yet, but when it hits $1000 they will send me a check.

I contact paypal about 5 times over the past 2 years asking why they wont let people in Ireland take money out, and they just say we are working on it, they are having some trouble,

!!! 2 years !!! thats a big problem, they should do something about that. maybe we should Mass mail them requesting them to start this service,

• Advertisement
Advertisement