Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the stories behind the music

Options
  • 02-05-2003 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭

i love hearing good explantions behind songs...mostly to do with lyrics of course, and why a certin song was writte and what's it all about

i've just been informed that this charming man by the smiths was about a teacher morriseey had in school who tried to ask him out and he tried to put the guy off

'i would go out tonight, but i haven't got a thing to wear'
    this man said it gruesome that someone so handsome should care....

he he

another thing i saw on tv is that the vapours 'turning japanese' is about ****.

'i got your picture, i got your picture...somethig somehting so i can look at you from inside as well'

anyone got any good stories?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

well.... i'm sorry to say i don't have many really.

but the Belle and sebastian song: waking up to us, is said to be about the end of the relationship between the lead singer (Stuart Murdock) and the female vocalist (isobel Campbell). this song was one of the last recorded by isoble and the rest of the band because she left soon after.
    lyrics include:

"i need someone to take some joy in something i do
    you need a man who's either rich or losing a screw"

well the interesting this is, while knowing the song was about her, she still sang the back up vocals...... bit weird no?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

that is interesting....didn't something similar happen with no doubt?

the only other story behind a song i can think of off the top of my head is hero by the foo fighters. great song. (about kurt cobain, as far as i know)

ooooh...hang on...michael caine by madness was actually about ira informers

and crazy horses by the osmonds was about the damage we're doing to the einvornment

but that's not as good as a song secretely about ****...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

Belle and Sebastian's Dirty Dream No. 2 is as it sugest about "wet dreams" and what he's dreaming about..... fantastic lyrics such as:

"dream one you had a whole lot of fun with the comedien, you stopped short of going all the way, you'll have to make it some day"

and

"dream 2 you couldn't see her face but you saw everything else"

great song!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

A few I can think of are REM's losing my religion is about getting
    your hole for the first time
    The Verve's the drugs dont work is about richard ashcrofts ma who had MS hence
    "The drugs dont work they just make you worse but I know ill see your face again"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

good riddace (time of your life) is about how Green Day said goodbye to their punk pals who knew them when they were young who turned their backs on them after they became big.

thats the only one i know but a quick google reveals...copy and past time: Nirvana

Bleach :- Album produced by Jack Endino, Drums are Chad Channing and Dale Crover.

Blew - The whole song conveys themes of entrapment .

Floyd the Barber - A song about a small town that goes bad, the title is taken from a character on The Andy Griffith Show. Everyone turns out to be a mass-murderer. The song also shows Freudian castration fears. - Drums: Dale Crover.

About A Girl - A song written for Kurt's girlfriend Tracy, she threatened to kick him out if he didn't get a job.

School - A song about the incestous Seattle Scene. The bands seem to resemble high school cliques.

Love Buzz - A cover song from the group Shocking Blue from the Netherlands .

Paper Cuts - Part of the lyrics are based on a true story of a family that Kurt was acquainted with, who locked their children in a room. Other lyrics have to deal with parents, and neglect. - Drums: Dale Crover .

Negative Creep - the first person narrative from an antisocial person.

Scoff - A song that's directed towards the people who didn't believe in Kurt's musical aspirations.

Swap Meet - A battle of the sexes put in the background of a Sunday swap meet.

Mr. Moustache - Speaks out against the stereotypical male macho image.

Sifting - seems to take on authority figures with it's mention of preachers and teachers.

Big Cheese - This song is written about Sub Pop man Jonathan Poneman and the pressures he put on the band.

Downer - Kurt's attempt at a political song. - Drums: Dale Crover.

Nevermind :- Produced by Butch Vig, Drums by Dave Grohl on all tracks.

Smells Like Teen Spirit - An attack on the apathy of our own generation.

In Bloom - An attack on people who listen to certain music for the wrong reason. Imagine the macho, gun toting guy who sings along to Nirvana, but has no clue what he's singing about.

Come As You Are - A song full of contradictions on how we act versus how we think society thinks we should act.

Breed - Growing up and being trapped by Middle Class America.

Lithium - A first person narrative of a nervous breakdown, or an update of the Marxist description of religion as 'Opiate of the masses'. An ode to disconnection.

Polly - Based on the actual kidnapping of a 14 year old girl and her torture.

Territorial Pissings - Multi-themed song that attacks macho men.

Drain You - A song about (plainly and simply) love. Highly medical theme.

Lounge Act - A song about having a certain vision and being smothered by a relationship.

Stay Away - An attack on any conformist clique.

On A Plain - Many small lines of poetry having multi themes.

Something in the Way - A song about Kurt's experiences living under a bridge when he was kicked out of home.

Endless, Nameless - Previously called “The Noise Jam” An experimental song created when one of the takes on Lithium went bad.

Incesticide :- Various producers and Drummers

Dive - Produced: Butch Vig Drums: Chad Channing.

Sliver - A semi-biographical song about being deserted by your parents - Produced: Jack Endino Drums: Dan Peters.

Stain - Produced: Steve Fisk Drums: Chad Channing.

Been A Son - Song about a girl whose parents wanted a boy - Produced: Miti Adhikari Drums: Dave Grohl.

Turnaround - Cover of a Devo song - Produced: Dale Griffin Drums: Dave Grohl.

Molly's Lips - Cover of a Vaselines song - Produced: Dale Griffin Drums: Dave Grohl.

Son of a Gun - Cover of a Vaselines song - Produced: Dale Griffin Drums: Dave Grohl.

(New Wave) Polly - Faster recording of Nevermind's Polly - Produced: Miti Adhikari Drums: Dave Grohl.

Beeswax - Produced: Jack Endino Drums: Chad Channing.

Downer - from Bleach - Produced: Jack Endino Drums: Dale Crover.

Mexican Seafood - Some people seem to believe this is about a yeast infection - Produced: Jack Endino Drums: Chad Channing.

Hairspray Queen - Produced: Jack Endino Drums: Chad Channing.

Aero Zeppelin - Produced: Jack Endino Drums: Chad Channing.

Big Long Now - Produced: Jack Endino Drums: Chad Channing.

Aneurysm - Possibly about shooting heroin - Produced: Miti Adhikari Drums: Dave Grohl.

In Utero :- Album produced by Steve Albini, all drums by Dave Grohl.

Serve the Servants - An autobiographical song about the whole Nirvana experience, the 'witch hunt' on Courtney Love, and a sarcastic response to the emphasis placed on the divorce of Kurt's parents.

Scentless Apprentice - Based on the novel Perfume by Patrick Suskind, about a perfume maker who kills virgins for their scent.

Heart-Shaped Box - Themes of co-dependancy and many other themes.

Rape me - In Kurt's words, the song is a sort of poetic justice. A guy rapes a girl. He ends up in jail and is raped there.

Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge on Seattle - A song about the story of Frances Farmer, who was declared insane and lobotomized.

Dumb - Ignorance is bliss. There is a certain care-free happiness involved in being dumb. Drug related thems dominate the song.

Very Ape - An Attack on the stereotypical macho man.

Milk It - A song about co-dependancy, it heavily carries the medical theme.

Pennyroyal Tea - A song about making a tough decision and the difficult choices around it and the guilt following it. Pennyroyal Tea is an abortive substance.

Radio Friendly Unit Shifter - According to Kurt this song is a throwaway. A bunch of random poetry lines thrown together. The title is a reference to Smells Like Teen Spirit and it's slick, radio-friendly sound.

tourette's - This song has no meaning at all. Kurt just screamed alot. Based on tourette's syndrome, which causes one to shout out obscenities at any time.

All Apologies - Contrary to popular belief, this song is not about Francis and Courtney. He wrote it for them, but none of the lyrics really apply.

Gallons of Rubbing Alcohol Flow Through the Strip (Import version) - More or less, a poem to words. This is an improv-style song.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

Here, sorry but - jaysus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭bandit

One by Metallica is based on the anti war novel Johnny got his gun, its about a guy who gets hit by a land mine and loses his arms, legs, most of his face and is forced to live a living death.
    Most of the lyrics qoute directly from the book.
    "I cannot live, I cannot die, bodies my holding cell"

This charming man was indeed to use Morriseys own words "a tale about a preditory homosexual male"

Little known fact that 'There She Goes' is about heroin "there she goes, there she goes again, pulsing through my veins and I just cant contain this feeling that remains"
    as is Perfect day by Lou Reed and Golden Brown by the strasnglers.

Teenage Kicks is about ****

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

Paranoid Android is supposedly about the fall of the Roman Empire, find it hard to believe but it wouldn't surprise me if it was.

What’s the frequency Kenneth by REM is about an American newscaster who got beaten up by two people and while they beat him they kept shouting "what’s the frequency Kenneth" at him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭MrGump

Tori Amos' Me and a Gun is about her being raped, but i guess everyone knew that already.

What’s the frequency Kenneth by REM is about an American newscaster who got beaten up by two people and while they beat him they kept shouting "what’s the frequency Kenneth" at him.
    Yes they guy that beat him up claimed that the newscaster was sending him subliminal messages in the broadcasts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Sonic Youth's "100%" is about Thurston Moore's friend being shot dead or something along the lines of that.

Originally posted by The FANJ
    Paranoid Android is supposedly about the fall of the Roman Empire, find it hard to believe but it wouldn't surprise me if it was.

yup that is true

anyone know what this night has opened my eyes by the smiths is about??? it sounds like it might be about a termination.

oohh---i wont share you by the smiths is apparantly by morrissey to mahr and soon after the band split

(hmmmm....that reminds me...what's the reason d'unbelievables fell out....?)

oh and thank you derek...you've settled a debate between me ands my mum.....thank you! we always fought about what that verve song was about

there must be some beatles ones out there....thought theyre all pretty self explanatory, excpet for sgt peppers where theyre all fecked opff their faces on drugs (apparantly)

I dont think they fell out one of them got cancer and altough he survived the operation he is still recovering The other guy just toured on his own in the meantime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

Originally posted by thedrowner

Hmmm i dont think they fell out... one of them had cancer didn't he?? The one that isn't Pat Shortt
    Or am i makin that up??:confused:

yup that is true

anyone know what this night has opened my eyes by the smiths is about??? it sounds like it might be about a termination.

oohh---i wont share you by the smiths is apparantly by morrissey to mahr and soon after the band split

Would I be right in thinking that you are on something of a Smiths buzz these days, judging by your changed signature and recent posts ????

Reel around the fountain, suffer little children are all about the moors murders and Mira Hindley ????

There is a new book out cant remember who its by or what its called <f.u.c.k all use I know> but its all about the stories behind the smiths songs, their music, their recording sessions and first time performances.
    Well worth checking out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭kirn

paranoid android is not about the fall of the roman empire...
    its an in joke in the band if an interviewer says 'whats this song about' they make up something stupid. paranoid android is about the vacuous nature of the industry they're in. the lyrics are mostly about hangers-on and it girls and famous for being famous types.

a lot of the smiths stuff is about sexuality. girlfriend in a coma is a metaphor for his relationship with women.
    there is a light and it never goes out is about a teenage crush morrissy had who he met again when he was older and the person gave him a lift home.

no limits by 2unlimited is a metaphorical zionist interpretation of the capitalist state throught the eyes of the oppressed underclasses and their desires to have 'no limits'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Originally posted by bandit

There is a new book out cant remember who its by or what its called <f.u.c.k all use I know> but its all about the stories behind the smiths songs, their music, their recording sessions and first time performances.
    Well worth checking out

I think either Rourke or Joyce had input into this book, I must check it out myself.

William it was..... is about Billy McKenzie lead singer with the Associates.

This night..... does indeed sound like a song about abortion.

A rush and push, sounds a bit xenophobic in parts, but cant be sure on that.

After Headmasters Ritual, a head teacher had to go on BBC radio to say there was no serious bullying problem in Manchester.

thanks bandit....well im not really on a smiths buzz at the moment, i've been on a buzz for the last 3 years (and to be completely honest, the cd in my cd player right now is alicia keyes!) but you don't happen to know the name of the book or where i can get it do ya?

kirn-thanks for putting me straight on that. *makes sense now*

surely reel around the fountain is not about myra hindley!!! don;t say that!
    rell around the fountain is one of my faves
    it's so beauitful!

Time for a nice little plug for Amazon.co.uk !!!!!

The Smiths: Songs That Saved Your Life
    Simon Goddard
    List Price: £14.99
    Our Price: £10.49
    You Save: £4.50 (30%)
    Used Price: £12.53

Category(ies): Biography , Music, Stage & Screen

Customer Reviews
    Much, much better than the Johnny Rogan book, 1 January, 2003
    Reviewer: uncleskinny from Bradford, West Yorkshire United Kingdom
    In this book you have an author, Simon Goddard who obviously loves his subject matter, and is a musician to boot. This gives you an extra insight because of his musical appreciation, for instance, on the 'Lost' track 'A Matter of Opinion' he comments on similar chord structure in other songs, and comments that the chords of 'I Won't Share You' are exactly the same as 'Ask'. The book is written in a non-preachy but in a very deeply factual style. You don't get any of the very annoying suppositions in Johnny Rogan's book, but just straight facts, including loads of details regarding lost tracks, and first drafts of lyrics. Having Mike Joyce on board has made a huge difference, and from the foreward onwards you get the feeling that what you read is to be trusted, which makes a huge difference.
    The book lists in chronological order all the Smiths' recorded material from 'I Want A Boy For My Birthday' to 'Bengali In Platforms', and there is a wealth of information on every song... All-in-all, a superb read from a real fan, and very highly recommended.

sheer brilliance, 28 December, 2002
    Reviewer: Danny Seljee from Amsterdam Netherlands
    I' ve just finished Simon Goddards book. If you wondered why or if you already knew why The Smiths are the greatest band ever, this is, beside the albums themselves, the best guide to lead you into the sheer brilliance of their immaculate bulk of songcrafting. The way each magnificent song in the Morrissey/Marr songbook is explored, treated, recaptured, and embellished with anecdote, makes you want to put the records on and go back to those days when The Smiths truly saved your life. This wonderful book is an intelligent hommage to a band that is unequelled in plucking the strings, banging the drums and yelping about life. This landmark is an insightful exploration of the wonder that was Smithdom. Absolutely essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

'i got your picture, i got your picture...somethig somehting so i can look at you from inside as well'

I want a the doctor to take your picture, so........

Thats the bit yer missing......

Emmmmmm, Stories by Therapy? is about being off your head in the Botanical Gardens in Belfast..........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Johnny Bravo

I have a friend who put lyrics to Led Zepplin's song Kashmir about the time when somebody stole his bike! Its pretty good. He plays it live.
    :confused:
    A bore is a person who lights up a room simply by leaving it.

Originally posted by bandit
    Time for a nice little plug for Amazon.co.uk !!!!!

The Smiths: Songs That Saved Your Life
    Simon Goddard
    List Price: £14.99
    Our Price: £10.49
    You Save: £4.50 (30%)
    Used Price: £12.53

Category(ies): Biography , Music, Stage & Screen
    can i get it in easons/hmv

yes i do like being spoon fed.

can i get it in easons/hmv

I saw it in The Dublin Bookshop across the road from Next on Grafton St.

fecking hell
    tried hmv andhodges figges yesterday and neither had it

was gonna go to the dublin bookshop but was running out of time and thought H F would be a safer bet

darn it

that and i can never find the dublin bookshop

it alwyas seems to dissapear!

but thanks you
    it shall be purchased soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

'Scattered' by Green Day is about a fight Billie-Joe had with his wife, Adrienne, about having to go away on tour yet again. He says(of her) 'Gagging on a souvenier logded to fill another year'.

i got that smiths book....ta very much. 23.80 squid mind you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭saintgaz

The Undertones 'It's going to Happen' was inspired by the 1981 Maze Hunger Strikes. The whole song was going to be about them, but then they thought better of it and just the chorus remained from the original attempt. Also 'Crisis of Mine' on The Positive Touch is also supposedly about the same thing.

The Doors 'Runnin' Blue' off The Soft Parade was a tribute to the then-recently deceased Otis Redding.

The Beatles 'She Came in Through the Bathroom Window' was inspired by a burglary at Paul McCartney's house where a young woman did just that.

The object of Lennon's ire on Sexy Sadie was the Maharashi Mahesh Yogi - the original lyrics (I swear!) being:

"Maharishi, you little twat,
    Who the f*ck do you think you are?
    Who the f*ck do you think you are?
    Oh you c**t"

Oh, and EVERYBODY knows this, but following on something similar above about Belle and Sebastian, the greedy cow being sung about in Abba's 'Winner Takes It All' is herself singing the lead vocal.

What about Lennon's "how do you feel", he spews hatred for Macca.

forgot to say this:

for the person who said teenage kickes by the undertones was about masturbation-this weekend i heard an interview with the guys who actually wrote the lyrics, they said the song was about boy meets girl and boy not getting girl, but that feargal sharkey started telling people it's about ****, and they just wanted to rectify that its not :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement