Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduation mass music, suggestions

Options
  • 02-05-2003 8:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭

Need something abite reflective, and another song that is kinda put beat and a sing along type.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

That annoying Vitamin C song..
    pld at EVERY graduation i believe....

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

do you mean actual mass music, as in religious stuff, or secular stuff?

for secular stuff, bear in mind you'll have to please both the teachers and the stupid bimbo people, so it'll have to be something sufficiently fluffy to suit the bimbos and suitably middle-aged and middle of the road to suit the teachers. for this, bette midler is always a good bet- trite enough for those teachers who cry into their chardonnay in front of meg ryan movies every night. try to get into the mind set of a contestant for miss world.... "i believe the children are our future" or "wind beneath my wings"
    also bear in mind that there is little point in suggesting anything even marginally "interesting" or different- you will be first shouted down, then voted down- that's how we ended up with "the rose" as our final song. pass me a bucket!

for religious stuff, ave maria, panis angelicus, eagle's wings etc etc are a good bet

not for the actual graduation mass, but at the prize-giving ceremony, a few of us suggested songs like REM's "it's the end of the world as we know it", "baggy trousers" by madness, and "good riddance" by green day. in the end we did freedom by grorge michael.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Not a great fan of the band but 'Oasis - Whatever' always works at graduations.

'I'm free to be whatever I
    Whatever I choose'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

yeah its gotta be good riddance by green day or mary melody by the mad caddies or i want to break free by queen, I Had the Time of My Life by Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes (shudder)

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

deffo time of your life by greenday, must add that to the list of songs for our grad mass...

When I remeber the ones we're having I'll post em. PHB, Sev, mirv or imp might be able to tell you what they are too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I was playing guitar at my mass, and only got to choose one song, Time of your life, predictably. Very few people in my year actually knew the song :rolleyes:. So everyone else got to choose what we do, and it was Oasis - Whatever, Beatles - Blackbird, and another Oasis - Take me away ("I just always wanted to sing that" :rolleyes: ) One of the priests also insisted on some ****e with the church organ. Ah well......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

we had that beatles song

*argh, name escape me*
    we had 2 beatles songs in fact
    had the one about gettin by with a little help from your friends

also the one...and i cant remember it
    *goes off to google it*
    in my life, thats the one. off rubber soul i think.

we also did i will survive (the leaving cert, with revamped lyrics)
    time of your life by greenday
    and for a little bit of originality me and a few friends penned a song for the graduation mass (we made ppl cry....)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

Our Irish teacher wants us to play bat out of hell, just to be different,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I see you people have good taste, shame my class doesn't, green day was suggested and shot down as was numerous others. we have to actually be able to sing this and play it with a few basic instruments. I managed to get time in a bottle jim croce onto the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i think my year's plan is not to show up to our graduation and to go drinking in a field and leave all the parents, teachers and important people sitting there.

is this a good plan?....i thinks it is:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Okie

You could always use the song our class had for graduation; Jimmy Cliff - I Can See Clearly Now. (Not entirely sure if that's the name of the song but I think you know the one, it's off "Cool Runnings"?) We also had a few lads from our year wot were in a band to play Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Free Bird" (Went down pretty well)

Doesn't really matter tho, 'cos it usually ends up as flippin' Green Day.

If all else fails just hi-jack the stereo equipment on the night and play Iron Maiden's "Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter"*

* probably not a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by ferdi
    i think my year's plan is not to show up to our graduation and to go drinking in a field and leave all the parents, teachers and important people sitting there.

is this a good plan?....i thinks it is:)

That's what we did, 'cept we showed up when it was just about over reeking of drunken-ness :]

Can't remember what songs we used, but yea of course "Time of your Life" was there, just to be predictable and boring y'know. Rest of the songs were equally shit IIRC.

free bird, excellent, if i had my choice that would be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

I played 'I still Haven't Found What I'm Lookin For' by U2 at my departure from secondary school back in 98. Worked alright if memory serves me correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

Hrm... we're singing Hallelujah (jeff buckley version) for the hallelujah bit of the mass... The teacher who agreed to it has never heard it... I think he might be expecting something a bit more religious... :D

The rest is U2, Oasis (<-- yuk :p ).....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

We had freebird too. Would have prefered if they played pink floyd, another brick in the wall ... but they didn't think it would impress the teachers all that much ...

Originally posted by Duffman
    Hrm... we're singing Hallelujah (jeff buckley version) for the hallelujah bit of the mass... The teacher who agreed to it has never heard it... I think he might be expecting something a bit more religious... :D

though of that, but its abite difficult to make a good job of it

i was thinking pink plyod myself, might just bang that onto the cd also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Don't Fear The Reaper?
    Running Free?
    Welcome To The Jungle?

Would you even get away with those?:)

Ramstein - Du Hast? :D

Originally posted by Sarky
    Don't Fear The Reaper?
    Running Free?
    Welcome To The Jungle?

Would you even get away with those?:)

ahh the blue oster cult, sounds good, but no i think i'd be more likely to get away with bs paranoid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

how about the Panzer Anthem?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Pink Floyd "wish you where here" is that what you where think?
    Damn i didn't think Greenday time of your life was such a popular one thought it was cool at the time, here i was thinking i was about to suggest something original, we had one guy on the guitar playing it did a smack up job, that jeff buckley song hallejuhah (sp?) is good though, lash that out

Just lash out the Hallelujahs..... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

For our grad we did

Heyday - Mic Christopher
    Shout - Lulu
    True Colours - Cyndie Feckin Lauper
    and a song that Ross Breen wrote for it called Run Free

If there's someone in yer year who can write music its a great thing if you can have your own song!

yeah i did that in school, but at the risk of sounding very pretensious, i'll say that to write something most of my year would like to sing, i had to write something i hated...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

not sure if it was said but in my life - the beatles is a great one

yeah michael, i suggested it...mwah ha ha
    pm me and let me know how the exams r going if u get a chance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

The Clash- 'Should I stay or should I go' one for the retards who'll havta repeat

The Clash -'Career Opportunities'

The offered me the office, offered me the
    shop
    They said I'd better take anything they'd got
    Do you wanna make tea at the BBC?
    Do you wanna be, do you really wanna be a cop?

Career opportunities are the ones that never knock
    Every job they offer you is to keep you out the dock
    Career opportunity, the ones that never knock

I hate the army an' I hate the R.A.F.
    I don't wanna go fighting in the tropical heat
    I hate the civil service rules
    And I won't open letter bombs for you

Bus driver....ambulance man....ticket inspector

They're gonna have to introduce conscription
    They're gonna have to take away my prescription
    If they wanna get me making toys
    If they wanna get me, well, I got no choice

Careers
    Careers
    Careers

Ain't never gonna knock

...That should go down well. We played Sweet Child o' Mine at ours,live,badly! mixed with all the usual crap songs that the slappers want.
    'School's out' ---Alice Cooper
    'Cherry bomb'-The Runaways
    It's so easy-G n r

Now that's just mean.... :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Benbaz

"Made to Last" by Semisonic

Advertisement