Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't connect to my broadband modem

Options
  • 02-05-2003 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭

Hey, I just got my ethernet broadband modem installed but I can't connect to it at all. According to the manual it has a default address of 192.168.1.1 I've connected the pc to it via the supplied connection cable but when I try to do a telnet on 192.168.1.1 I get:
    "Microsoft(R) Windows DOS
    (C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1990-2001.

C:\DOCUME~1\KEVINO~1>telnet 192.168.1.1
    Connecting To 192.168.1.1...Could not open connection to the host, on port 23.
    A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond
    after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host
    has failed to respond.

C:\DOCUME~1\KEVINO~1>"

The network is shown as operational but no matter what I try and do I can't connect to the modem. I'm using a Windows Xp machine and the tcp/ip address I gave my pc is the one the isp supplied with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0
    I'm using Netsource/VIA as my isp but thats not even the issue, I just can't connect to the damned modem at all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

what type of router is it?

If it has a Web Interface which quite a lot of them have nowadays, then go into your IE and go into Tools, Internet Options, set to never dial. Then type into the address bar: http://192.168.1.1 (all this assuming you can ping the router alright). If it does have a web interface you should have access then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

Well I finally got it all connected up. It's not a router by the way, it's a normal bb modem. The thing is though the performance so far has bordered on dire but I think it might be a fault at Via's end since when I got Xbox Live up and running I suffered from the same slow down although it wasn't nearly as slow as it seems to be on the pc. I'm actually loading pages slower than when I was on 56k and the connection keeps dropping. Worst thing is via aren't open again until Tuesday so I have to sit on it until then.

Advertisement