Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am i alone.....

Options
  • 02-05-2003 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

Hi all,

I discovered this place recently and its encouraging to see so many others like myself who have barely started studying, thought I was the only one :)

Well anyhoo today I got my CAO change of mind form in the post. The trouble is I still have no idea what I'm going to do. Some days I think wow wouldn't be great to be an accountant and making big sacks of cash.....then others I think how much fun it would be to be a journalist......the following week its a chef....etc

Well I have been doing this for the past two years and I still can't stick with anything. Some people have know what they were going to do since they were 12. I still don't!

I don't really want to have to take a year out as I already have by doing TY.

Do you all know exactly what you are going to do? Are you 100% ceartain?

Please say no :p

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Hey,
    I was the same as you..didn't have a clue what I wanted to do. Did the Leaving Cert in 1998, took my Fathers advice, did COmputer Systems at U.L without any real clue about computers. It seemed like the right move and looking back I'm glad I did it. However, the first two years were tough as I was not into it and scraped by. As I matured and got over the drinking and smoking ever night in college stage, third and fourth year picked up and I concentrated on getting a good degree. Did that, now doing a Masters.
    Point is...don't take a year out, its a waste of time, totally. You may as well spend your youth in college as opposed to arsing around "finding yourself". You'll learn alot more about what you like and don't like by doing something instead of waiting for that perfect fit to fall out of the sky.
    Try and pick something that interests you. Computers would be a good thing to get into now, cos by the time you finish the economy will be booming again. My Masters is Music Technology...which is applying what I learned in Comp Sys to what I really like..Music.
    Everything will come together in the end. My bro always knew what he wanted to do since the Junior Cert, he was a year ahead of me. My parents could never understand why I wasn't the same.
    I think its bad to know what you want to do when you are 14/15...its shows that you're stuck in the same mindset even tho you're aging past 20's. Of course thats not true in all cases...

Hope this helps a bit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Celtic Tiger

Cheers m8

Yeh computers in Trinity is whats on my CAO atm......dunno whether I'll stick with it though.

Do I like computers? Well I enjoy knifing snipers in the back in Team Fortress so I guess thats a start :p

History is my favourite subject in school but then there aren't many career paths to take with it. Will have to make my fourth appointment with my careers teacher me thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

accountant making big sacks of cash?
    dont go there
    the money is good but the exams are tough and its a long time before you'll make big sacks of cash
    my dad's an accountant/financial consultant. makes very good money but sometimes he'll work a 50 hour week, and meetings at weekends too sometimes.

very few people know what they want to do. my favourite subject is irish and altho the career paths are limited im going with it because i know if i dont like the subject i study, i just wont study it. but thats just the way i work. there are lots of options. think about doing plc's aswell, lots of interesting stuff, usually short 1/2 year courses, and you can go on to something more career driven afterwards when you've thought about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

If you become an accountant you will be,
    (que accounant jokes)
    I am gonna do science next year cause it interests me, I have no real idea of what I'll do for a job though, but isn';t that what makes life interesting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

The most important thing is to study something you're really interested in, something you'll really enjoy.... I mean will you ever have this opportunity again? Don't want to waste it... :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

Oh dear, I just scared myself..... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Dont do something because you will make money at it. Perhaps you should take a year out and decide what you'd enjoy :)

Maybe your guidance teacher will be of use, I doubt it if they are like other GT's :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Celtic Tiger

I'm gonna stick with comp science in Trinity, researched it a bit today......looks interesting enough. Plus the points are a lot lower than I originally thought. Went from 420 in 2001 to 345 last year :eek: Just hope it stays down

Well now just have to start studying.........

Advertisement