Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a nice mobile number

• 03-05-2003 12:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    The number we are using at the moment is 0868680002 but we don't own it. Our telco does. Does anyone know how i would go about getting a sweet number off O2, Voda or Meteor. Preferably O2.

Also does anyone know of a piece of software that takes messages off a phone and stores them. They have to be deleted from the phone when put on the PC. Is anyone interested in writing this program if it doesn't exist. It should be simple enough to do and we will pay a decent amount.

Regards,
    Steve.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Hi Steve,

it may be worth you considering a shortcode instead of a full phone number. Afait there are several price bands for shortcodes, from 11c - €2. Most of the price bands would give you some revenue share, except for the lowest price bands.

A short code consists of a 5 digit number (beginning with a 5) and is usually accessible across all networks (some dont bother with Meteor though).

The short codes are fairly expensive if you require a dedicated one (in setup and monthly rental), but there are several organisations that will share short codes with you.

If you opt for a shared shortcode, they are normally shared on a keyword basis; e.g. you may ask your users to:

Text BALLOOBA TONIGHT to 5xxxx to receive a text reply with details of tonights venue/drinks promotions.

One of the biggest advantages to this approach is a phone/SIM/PC connection is not usually necessary. Text messages can be submitted (by your shortcode operator) to a page on your web site for you to process as you wish. Likewise outgoing text messages can be submitted to your providers web pages for onward transmission vie text message.

Hope thats of some help, feel free to drop me a PM if I haven't explained any of it properly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Ring VOdafone customer service and ask to speak to Tech support. If you sweet talk them they will configure your hlr and sim to a nice number :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Cheers Graham,
    We have been sharing the number 0868680002 with several companies, its owned by a Dublin text messaging company and we want to switch providers.

This means switching phone numbers which is a bit inconvenient to say the least. All our subscribers know our current number.

At the moment they have to text the word 'RAG' at the start of the message the significance of which is now obsolete. We want our own number which we can use no matter who our up channel provider is and that people don't need to use codes for.

I have investigated the possibility of using a short code like 51123 but at the moment you need to be receiving at least 5000 per month to cover costs never mind to make it commercially viable.

Steve

==============================================

Chief,

Have you actually done this or heard of it being done?

What if you already have a phone number with vodafone on the
    sim?

Whats the hlr?

I actually have a few numbers that I would like to have and if I could actually ask for a specific number then that would be **** cool.

Regards,
    Steve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

i remember seein on ebid a few weeks ago a guy sellin a number for 60eur ..
    it was 0871234567

pretty cool

check there
    still might be there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Originally posted by Chief---
    Ring VOdafone customer service and ask to speak to Tech support. If you sweet talk them they will configure your hlr and sim to a nice number :)
    Yeah, it's not even a 5 minute procedure, but good luck to you if you can get them to do it for free! :)

Ballooba, the HLR (Home Location Register) is a mobile operator's main database for all it's customer's information.

• Advertisement

In my opinion 1234567 is a **** number. Your average punter doesn't know where to stop, especially your average drunk punter. You'll have people texting 087 123456 and 08712345678.

How much do you reckon O2 or Voda would charge to change your phone number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Voda Change of Number:
    Eur. 24.58

O2 Change of Number (scroll to end):
    for 1st number change only Free
    Eur. 15 charge applies thereafter

Thanks DW those details are spot on.

Good old Meteor always comes through for you. O2 said they couldn't do it. Vodafone's email was broken so I didn't bother with it.

By the end of the week Ballooba.net text alerts will be coming from 085-7-200-300. Legendary.

You have to love sales guys, first he tried to bribe me to move my current 086 over to Meteor, i told him that it was on a company wide deal for a company I do work for.

He basically gave me the golden number for free just so that I would get our accountant to ring him and talk about Meteor. IF he offers the accountant a better deal than the one he's currently on then deadly. otherwise no harm done.

Now who want's to write that software. It is really simple, I just don't know enough C++ to write it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Got in touch with Vodafone , thier reply ......................................

Do you want to have a number change? or do you want to have the ready to go number changed over to a bill?? either way it is possible but it needs to be doent through ready 2 go customer care on 1850208787. There is no charge for changing to a bill but I think there is a €15 charge for changing the number.

• Advertisement
Advertisement