Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psychotic Landladies

Options
  • 03-05-2003 1:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭

In the past two weeks my friends land lady has entered the house without any invitation or notice and has also forced her way in when people are in the house.

last week she thought there was no-one in the house so entered with her own key. My friend was at work and his girlfriend was upstairs studying, she found the landlady at the top of the stairs snooping around in the lads bedrooms. the most recent incident was last night.

She knocked looking for one of the other housemates. Having had a row the previous nights about the same issue! he was reluctant to speak to her, so he made my friend lie to her saying he wasnt there and was at work.

5 mins later she came back adement that she had seen him going in to the house (implying that she was spying on them which was another psycotic trait of hers) demanding to speak to him and also demanding to come in to the house.

Now technically for the amount of time you have rented a house it is yours, and unless its in the contract a landlord cannot come int to your home unless they have given due notice and certainly not if the tennants aren't in the house

he told her where to go basically but, she was having none of it! my friend eventually caved in but still wouldnt let her in to the house. He got his room mate and they talked outside and she left.

the room mate had said that she was going to get my friend kicked out of the house for lying??? even though he told her he put him up to it

heres the good part(or scariest part)

thismorning my friends roommate went to work and my friend was alone in his bedroom sound asleep. He awoke at about 8.45am checked his phone and looked up to find his landlady standing over him. besides the point it was forced entry and therefore illegal she then proceded to give out to him about lying to her. now doesnt that just beat all. after about 5 mins she left and my friend was completely wierded out.

heres the facts

1. hes been paying rent their for 8 months
    2. he didnt sign any contract with her
    3. she has no rent book(illegal)
    4. the house isnt registered for rent(also illegal)

so whats the story should he dob her in to the taxman or what? because she obviously a crazy bitch and needs someone to give her a swift kick up the arse!:ninja:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Go straight to the Garda and make a complaint for trespass and harassment.

Tell the Gardaí you are going to be changing the locks. Inform the landlady of this separately by registered letter (be nice, but insistant).

If the harassment continues ask the Gardaí to press charges.

Separately get a form RENT1 (tax credit for rented residential property) from the Revenue Commissioners and get her to fill in her part. If she refuses, fill in what you know about her and send it off anyway.

Go to your local council and ask them to check if the property is on their register of private rented accommodation.

Demand rent book. Keep evidence of having lived at the property (addressed envelopes, register of electors, receipts, utility bills).

If she screws with you or tries to serve you with notice to quit, press charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

You have no rent book. You have no rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

bull**** threshhold told him even though he has no rent book he has rights as a tennant

Originally posted by ballooba
    You have no rent book. You have no rights.
    Yes they do, the problem is enforcing those rights (hence the suggestion to keep evidence of living there).

Also start paying the rent by cheque / bank draft (cross them to make sure they are lodged through a bank account).

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Never ever rent out somewhere without a contract or rentbook. Unless you're absolutely, positively, 200% sure that the person is trustworthy, i.e. if they're a relative or a very very good friend.

Afaik, everyone has privacy rights, which extend to 'inappropriate times to gain access'. IIRC, the basic idea is that the landlord has the right to enter the property at any time unless it is inappropriate for the tenant - i.e. the Landlord may only enter when allowed to by the tenant. Unless of course the landlord lives there or has obtained a court order.

Do as Victor says. Even if he ends up being evicted, at least you'll have stirred up a whole pile of **** for her.

Coming into someone's bedroom without consent is a) Illegal and b) psychotic. ffs......

• Advertisement

Go to shop. Buy 2 kg of white floor and pack of freezer bags, a cheap mirror, razor blades, some cigarette papers and a roll of tape. Put equal amounts of floor in 4 different bags and seal well. Leave said 'paraphenalia' around the house.

Like this ('product' shown is sherbet):

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Get the lock(s) changed. You are entirely within you rights to do this as she is trespassing.

If you have to leave because of her mental behaviour, shop her in to the Revenue (as already mentioned), plus glue the mirrors to the floors, chop up the furniture, topdeck the toilet etc. etc. :)

Originally posted by TwoShedsJackson
    If you have to leave because of her mental behaviour, shop her in to the Revenue (as already mentioned), plus glue the mirrors to the floors, chop up the furniture, topdeck the toilet etc. etc. :)
    Now, now, don't go too far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

Your landlady has NO right of access at all without your consent, or a court order.

And certainly change the locks, she is not entitled to a key either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

Put a bucket of water over the door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

topdeck the toilet

i almost hate to ask...whats this ?

OK, I think this thread has lived it's life.
    Originally posted by DaithiSurfer
    Put a bucket of water over the door.
    Dangerous.
    Originally posted by yossarin
    i almost hate to ask...whats this ?
    You do a "number 2" in the cistern, quite smelly and unhygenic. Alternatively you put clingfilm across the bowl under the seat.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement