Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek Board

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Originally posted by ecksor
    How about I rename the Star Wars forum to Star Wars/Star Trek?

GOD NO!!!!

HELL NO!!!

See all of Azezils Posts and just change his disagreement with the star trek board to being a disagreement with that suggestion.

That would be wrong, very wrong.

(don't get me wrong, I like star trek and star wars, it's just that in my experience they don't mingle well as Wars is more fantasy and trek is more science)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

What's the difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

What's the difference?

Your in for it now, :p

Lightsabers on stun everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

What's the difference?

Here's something from google, I don't have time to go into the differences because i've got study to be doing.

Taken from here:

http://ryoung001.homestead.com/starwars.html
    Star Wars, though of the same sci-fi genre, is very different from Star Trek. Aside from the fairly obvious difference of Star Wars being set in the past and Star Trek in the future, there is another more compelling difference between the two sagas. While Star Trek explores social issues and the human condition amidst technology, human evolution, and conflicts within the premise of coexistence amongst many species, Star Wars explores the human condition from a more spiritual emphasis. Yes, Star Wars boasts a technological arsenal equal ( or, some would argue, greater ) to that of Star Trek and explores human evolution and conflict as does Trek. However, the power behind the technologies and explorations of human evolution and conflict is one of a spiritual nature rather than that of human achievement, as with Trek. The spiritual component of Star Wars that is so prevalent in Star Wars is, of course, The Force -- that all encompassing "power" which can be either good or evil. It is this dichotomy within the Force which the story is based upon -- the classic battle between good and evil.

• Advertisement

Yeah, but the important point is that they're both about spaceships with laser guns having big fights and deadly special effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

The difference? Jeri Ryan or Natalie Portman.

The borg is strong with ecksor, yes.

That's an easy one. I WILL COMPLY!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

What's the difference?
    Your average Star Wars fan appreciates that it's all pure fantasy. Cowboys and Indians in space if you will. Core and diehard SW fans think the same thing but just know more about it.

Your average Star trek fan sees it as as science-based with some fantasy mixed in. Your core Star Trek fan sees it as a possible future. Your diehard Star Trek fan believes the Enterprise is orbiting Earth as I type.

Water and oil. Wouldn't mix them except on a board where people can also talk about The Dark Crystal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

yeah i've no problem with renaming the star wars board star trek and hten getting rid of that crappy black background and stuff that comes up, excellent Ecksor finally some progress.

• Advertisement

sceptre, I think you will find that Enterprise is currently in the "Kulan" system which is nowhere near Planet earth in sector 1 of the Alpha quadrant :rolleyes: You don't need to be a Betazoid to know that, like.

Oooh I just realised the stunning similarity between the death star and the borg spheres 0_o they're both round black, bad and incredibly huge.

Anyway, my mother in law, she's so fat...

Oh and did you hear about the Klingon chef? He couldn't cook his Karzzagggnaaggtkklsh because his Farrrrgthafflekrrr was broken!

Gordon i think you need to study the cake and reflect on all things kitten, borg spheres are small (relatively) and the death star looks pretty much grey to me and why i do see this for a topic of much debate, i think it would be much better off in the new star trek board what do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

its a welcome discussion on sci-fi/fantasy ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I can already see some of the golden debates we could have over these subjects.

Borg spheres suck ass tbh, Cubes now... man.. remeber the days of NextGen when a borg cube was basically INDESTRUCTABLE?

Then along came voyager, killing loads of cubes with captain janeways karma making the phasers and photon torpedos mega powerful :confused: .

Species 8472 was one of the best things Voyager did to the Star Trek franchise though *drool*, an extremely unusual addition to the whole thing, a liquid universe, non-humanoid, quite excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

You won't find a bigger star trek fan than me! Rename the star wars forum. Its not needed. Bring it back about 2 months before the next film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Zukustious

There are so many supporters of this board so why can't you just make it? What the hell is stopping you? There will be no negative effects from it. Basically, it won't hurt to try.

If you'd said 'Make it so' or 'the force is strong with you', then I might have.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

'the force is strong with you'
    Bold, that's Star Wars again.

Whatever.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

ecksor, make it so.

• Advertisement

/me waves hand from right to left slowly and says "number one, engage!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Merge star wars and star trek together, as star wars is just about on its last legs, therefore injecting it with some more nerdom, perhaps would not be that bad of an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Originally posted by CuLT
    Get some looking at the Sci fi/Fantasy board skillz .:rolleyes: :p .

err, cult, it began as a private forum, due to the amount of ppl bitching about smallville being ****, which i dont think it is. Well, as far as i recall

I think yee should go take over the Star Wars forum, that and Star Trek would generate enough traffic to warrent their existance, but tbh, you could end up with egg on your face, cause this is the exact same way teh star wars board was started. and I will admit to saying that it would be used, which it isnt.

If we started to make boards for every sci/fi show then boards would get clustered, at the moment its nice and compact and theres more than enough material to keep people entertained. and if u want your picard Vs kirk polls, then do it on Sci/fi so, if you can cluster up that with star trek related topics then yee ,most definately deserve your own forum.

Then along came voyager, killing loads of cubes with captain janeways karma making the phasers and photon torpedos mega powerful .
    and to finish, just a Note on voyager. When u put a woman in teh drivers seat, you get lost a million lightyears from home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Personally Zardoz is the best sci fi since sliced bread. 6301744128.01.TZZZZZZZ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I think yee should go take over the Star Wars forum, that and Star Trek would generate enough traffic to warrent their existance, but tbh, you could end up with egg on your face, cause this is the exact same way teh star wars board was started. and I will admit to saying that it would be used, which it isnt.

maybe if star wars had ten movies and four tv series and an animated series behind it then it would have the traffic.

after episode III of star wars its all going to be over for it same goes for Lord of the Rings where as the star trek universe is still developing.

Merging star wars with star trek sounds like a bad idea

Originally posted by Doodee

and to finish, just a Note on voyager. When u put a woman in teh drivers seat, you get lost a million lightyears from home!

alternatively it was roughly 70,000 light years but whos counting, however feel free to discuss on the up and coming star trek board, perhaps you could figure out how no matter how far voyager would have been flung across the galaxy they would have made it home in seven seasons?

Data stands up in front of ecksor and straightens his t-shirt hence performing the picard maneouver (sp?)

The Picard maneuver was all a balls. If he was really going faster than light then the ship would have appeared to be going in reverse methinks.

Also, Hm, ship over there now. Oh look, now it's over there *and* over here. I wonder which one is the real one?? Oh, what a puzzler!! Yeah right.

no no you've got it all wrong its the other picard maneuver i'm on about, and you too can find out what it is on the up and coming star trek board :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    no no you've got it all wrong its the other picard maneuver i'm on about, and you too can find out what it is on the up and coming star trek board :)

Every time Picard stands up from the captains seat, he pulls down the bottom of his geansaí to straighten it. That, along with the speed of light trick that he used on Stargazer, was also known as the "Picard Maneuver". That's hardly subject-for-new-thread-on-"up-and-coming"-board fodder...

The fact that I know this does not make me a Trekkie/Trekker, honest...

And no, there's no real justification for a whole board for LOTR / Star Wars OR Star Trek... except that people seem to want it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Originally posted by azezil
    It's highly unlikely u could possibly find a bigger trek head than myself but i say no, no and thousand times NO! :)

It generates some traffic but not enough for a seperate board.

I'm up for it I even offered to be a mod for it when I suggested it ages ago but azezil struck me down the fecking fecker

Advertisement