Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Download Limit

Options
  • 03-05-2003 10:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

How do we no if we have gone over the 5GB download limit with Esat? If I go over the cap I would like to know so I can stop downloading things.

Why is there actually a limit to the amount you download?

Also, why is there so much talk about the limit, it would be very hard to reach 5,000 MB (Would it?).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

You don't anywhere to go to find out how much you have downloaded. But something 'DU meter' will give you a good idea.

Because they are money grabbing bast4rds.

Again because the telco's who impose download limits are bast4rds.

If you think about the open source community and the way they like to download linux/bsd/unix ISO's from the web, well some distrobutions have say 6-7 CDs, if you download 1 distro's full compliment of CD's you will pretty much hit your 5GB cap.

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

its actually quite easy to reach that in a month, i download between 1 and 3 Gb per day... but thankfully i'm on ntl and have no limit! :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

its actually quite easy to reach that in a month, i download between 1 and 3 Gb per day... but thankfully i'm on ntl and have no limit!

What do you download to reach this? How many GB would a 2hour film be?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

well the simple fact is this

esat = better ping for gamers like me
    Netsource= better for robbing stuff
    eircom=basturds

simple but true

im going for esat now i cleared up the whole 90 euro deal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Any idea on what day your cap is reset on? Is it the first of the month of the date on which you signed up or what..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

a 2 hour film would be about 700mb - > 1gig, easily, and if not more.
    a 4 minute mp3 would be about 4-5mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

well the " basturds" eircom you can see what you have download by going to http://.broadbanddownload.eircom.net[/url] and your cap is reset as with the billing date. don't know about esat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Zukustious

What happens to you when you go over the limit? Are you smited from above froma big Eircon smiting machine or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭peterd

Originally posted by god's toy
    well the " basturds" eircom you can see what you have download by going to http://.broadbanddownload.eircom.net[/url] and your cap is reset as with the billing date. don't know about esat.
    Is that offical? I've never heard of it until now. Looks like I used 25GB last August, that was back when I had a 3GB cap, no bill yet, hush, hush, QT ;)

As a guide, I now average 2GB p.m., and that's mostly web browsing, emails, and 40-50 mp3's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

2 gig for all that

cool im happy seeming i never d.l anything but patchs and some mods

JOLT HERE I COMES (and to a lesser extend gamespy!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

well it's in the i-stream starter self-install user guide. it may be just for us... i don't konw.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭captainpat

I have i-Stream Solo for a year and have been tolerated on my downloads up to now. I would frequently have exceeded the 3 GB cap during the year, depending on the speed of downloads accomplished in reality.

I tried the site shown (there is a typo with an extra . after the //) and entered my username as used for logging onto i-Stream, and password. Got a "Forbidden" and 404 message. Tried the suggested format (User@eircom.net), this gave the same.

Rang i-Stream support, who tried the site and said it seemed to be down. Will try again later.

Incidentally, person on support was of opinion that 4 GB cap on Eircom Starter would be more strictly enforced than previous products. No opinion on policy for Solo/Multi caps in future.

Will change to Netsource if enforcement of cap starts. I'm sure I'll hear on Boards.ie if and when it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,417 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Originally posted by captainpat

Incidentally, person on support was of opinion that 4 GB cap on Eircom Starter would be more strictly enforced than previous products. No opinion on policy for Solo/Multi caps in future.

Will change to Netsource if enforcement of cap starts. I'm sure I'll hear on Boards.ie if and when it does.

I recall someone posting a while back that eircom were UNABLE (at present) to monitor i-stream solo users downloads!!

When i had solo in my last flat, dont think i was ever under the 3gb cap , perhaps they just felt guilty for charging me the scandelous amounts that solo costs :) JK

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement