Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need me a small efficient browser

Options
  • 03-05-2003 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

In work here we use PII's with 64MB ram and they crawl along. IE is extremely slow when you have more than one window open, mainly because there are a few apps running at once (that we use for work). So any good, fast (as in CPU fast not connection fast) browsers around. Tis annoying me having everything slow down when I click a link on boards, or open another window to check my bank a/c.

Opera, Mozilla and Netscape are even worse than IE on these machines.

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

64mb of ram is shag all TBH.

Opera I found was the best and least resource intensive on a 233mmx. Also note that Boards.ie is pretty CPU heavy!

What OS are you running?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They're running NT.

I found a browser on download.com called Slimbrowser which seems to do the job. Very like galeon, and renders pages perfectly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭ando

I work with pc's like the description above quite a lot, I find IE5.5 to be best all round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

What about Netscape 3? You can surely find it around the web in places. Very good brwser but obviously you sacrifice all the extras that IE gives you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

lynx, nothing beats command line browsing :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭red vex

i heard sum1 mention phoenix before

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

very similar to mozilla, they all started the same.

ya don't get the benifits till ur using a faster comp etc'

isn't there a way you can uninstall IE, that would free up ram? have never done it only heard that it can be done but meant to be a pain and can feck things about.

Might give it a go now that i'm thinking about it, seems a waste, never use the feckin thing, only when making the odd webpage

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

you can usually do it from add\remove programs under the add\remove windows components tab. Dont think it frees any resources though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

its not there,

anyway i meant to get rid if from memory not the actual harddrive, i do use it occasionally, and i'm fairly sure it does take up memory whether its shared with explorer I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Microsoft made it so that it became an integral part of windows because it's indeed linked to Explorer. Basically it *is* explorer now.

The way to get rid of it is to replace the explorer you have with teh lightning fats one that comes with Windows 95 (which has zero bells & whistles). This is what 98lite does at a basic level.

As for XP, I don't know. TBH if you are looking to optimise your GUI, dump a) the OS for something like Linux which will give you far more configurability (but prob is too big a change!) or b) dump the Win32 GUI for something like Litestep (if that is even still around - haven't used it in years myself).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Well I've Lynx open right now, posting this reply. It's sitting on about 5MB memory usage.
    I also have IE open, at the same page, and despite it having the benefit of sharing DLLs with the shell it's using up about 29MB.
    Lynx would appear to be the winner there, and it's a nice browser too.

Advertisement