Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muscle strain/pain help?!?

• 03-05-2003 4:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭

Hello lads, sorry if this type of thread has been posted up here before but I couldn't spot anything in search. I'd been out of the gym for about a week or two due to having the flu so when I got back into it last week I took things very easy just doing runs and light weights ramping it up a bit towards the end of the week. Well last Thursday I did a hard workout going at the pace I was before I got sick. On Friday I had a bit of pain in my arms and legs but it was the usual sensation after a hard workout but I'm just after waking up on saturday morning and my arms are in bits. The area between my bicep and elbow is ****ing complaining when I move it an inch and I'm having trouble extending it fully. One of the lads has a tube of deep heat I was thinking of using but he isn't around at the moment. Does anyone have any advice on how I should try and cure this or is it just a grin and bare it sort of thing? Also is there anyway I can avoid this in the future(please don't say not working out as hard). Oh and would the fact that I had a feed of drink last night effect things?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Go to your local pharmacy, they should be able to give you advice and recommend a suitable pain killer and something to relax the muscles. While there, try getting some Epsom salts (maybe €2 for 3-4 baths) and have a warm bath before going to bed.

Needless to say take it easy on the arm, especially with the painkillers. If you still have trouble after a few days talk to your doctor or a (sports) physiotherapist.

Regarding the booze, it might have had a dehydrating effect and/or given your liver and heart a doing over - are you getting enough water and solid food?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Thanks victor took your advice and got a bit of grub and plenty of water into me. Also after getting some muscle rub which is currently burning the **** out of my arms but its helping. Also threw a few pain killers in the mix. Do you think I should keep stretching my arms or should I just let them recover?

No expert, but I would say take it easy for a few days. Pain is your body's way of saying "don't do that!".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

If you were really pushing it and if you are not that used to a heavy session it sounds like D.O.M.S.

Nothing to worry about, happens to people when they either push themselves too far in early training or try some new excersise where there is a particular muscle weakness. Neither training nor stretching will make a big difference. The stretching might have helped before and just after the session, but for now forget it.

Time will heal it.

Do not use pain killers or start to rely on them to deal with training soreness. In two more sessions it will probably not occur again.

JAK.

Originally posted by Jak
    Do not use pain killers or start to rely on them to deal with training soreness. In two more sessions it will probably not occur again.
    Sorry, I was only advocating the use of pain killers with a specific injury on the advice of a pharmacist. Continued use of pain killers during training or even ordinary activity can lead to liver damage, addiction and more serious injuries to the originally damaged area (your body's ability to say "stop, you are exercising too hard" is suppressed).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

ah ok thanks for the advice. I didn't actually take any pain killers in the end as it was bearable. Pain in the arms cleared in a few days. The deep heat muscle rub was great to relax my arms tho. You're right I'd been out of the gym for a few weeks and I did a very hard session because I was sick of pissing about with light weights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

If you consistently get DOMs you should look into getting some BCAA (branch chain amino acids)

You can buy it in liquid or tablet form from most sports/health supplement shops.

I'd recommend the liquid type (Amino Fuel is a popular brand) it can significantly reduce DOMs and increase protein uptake in the muscle.

.logic.

Advertisement