Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is UTV BB not available yet?

Options
  • 03-05-2003 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭

Like the topic says. Why? Everyone else seems to have made some sort of stab at it, be it good or bad. So why not UTV? The usual run of the mill / hold on and wait / pass the book, answers are getting really annoying now :( So come on UTV get the finger out! People can only stand being tortured for soo long :)

OHP

P.S. Just how many people are waiting for UTVto bring out some sorth of affordable BB anyway?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Who said UTV would be offering BB in the near future? They said themselves that they have made heavy investment in the flat rate dialup so their going to stick with that for a good while at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

They said they're in negotiations to hammer out an RADSL offering and that they hoped to have some hard info to give us soon.

But that was over a week ago :\

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Originally posted by OHP

OHP

P.S. Just how many people are waiting for UTVto bring out some sorth of affordable BB anyway?

i was waiting for utv , cause i have really liked their service ,but
    i just don't see it happening any time soon so I will hook up with iol now that they have set a self install option (now that i know i can ask here how to self install it ):)

John.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Originally posted by STaN
    Who said UTV would be offering BB in the near future? They said themselves that they have made heavy investment in the flat rate dialup so their going to stick with that for a good while at least.
    <SNIP> (Q)Will you be able to supply broadband in RoI?

(A)We are currently investigating the costs including the wholesale installation and rental costs and infrastructure required to ensure that we will be able to offer an affordable and sustainable product. Under the current wholesale pricing and minimum order levels from Eircom the product development is extremely complex.

Also, we're working on FRIACO based products for our RoI customers to ensure that we can deliver a full range of extremely competitive and innovative products.

Please bear with us and be assured that any products we deliver will be of the highest quality with full technical support. <SNIP>

If you ask me they need to hire some new investigators. And this sort or reply / response is getting really old.

OHP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

I was holding out for any sign of movement from UTV. I currently use UTVip and i'd love to keep them for broadband, but patience has run out (patience isn't a virtue i possess much of) and so we've signed up for IOLBB.

Cap not satisfactory, but oh well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

It would be nice to hear an official update from UTV on whether they have decided to offer broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

We had to wait ages for UTV to offer flatrate so don't hold your breath over BB. Currently they're doing an excellent job with what they're offering. Jumping on the BB wagon before eircon has been forced to get its $hit together is a recipe for disaster and will take up too much of their time. Rule 1: do one thing well rather than 2 things badly.

Originally posted by Slutmonkey57b
    We had to wait ages for UTV to offer flatrate so don't hold your breath over BB. Currently they're doing an excellent job with what they're offering. Jumping on the BB wagon before eircon has been forced to get its $hit together is a recipe for disaster and will take up too much of their time. Rule 1: do one thing well rather than 2 things badly.
    I have held my breath a long time now waiting for UTV to produce BB. I can’t hold it much longer. Your Rule 1. does not apply as UTV have only satisfied a few people. Everyone in this day and age should have BB (unless you’re willing to stick with your Ancient Connection! If UTV are not willing to stick their necks out for us! then why should we do it for them? Promises Promises Promises! = Lies, Lies, Lies! Come on UTV get the Lead OUT!!!

OHP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

Why is everyone in such a rush to get BB ??????
    I'd love it yeah, but there's no way on earth I'm going to take out a 12 month contract with either Eircon or Esat, jesus I reckon some of you people are mad in the head.........
    why not wait a couple of months and see how the services are working out (or even see if they have been installed), at the moment Eircom (remember the very large telco in Ireland) can't even keep up with the phone demand for BB, what sort of crap is that ? Esat are starting to show signs of strain, and I'm not sure about VIA (at least they have a decent product offering).........

anyway, the installation times seem to be slipping already - so why not wait and see the lay of the land when the services have been around a while.....I'll be perfectly happy to give UTV a chance, if the FRIACO product is good I may even use that for a while and see how the BB market looks then.
    there's no way I'll get into a 12 month contract with a download cap, with a company I don't trust in the first place just because I', impatient, it's crazy.
    the whole idea behind BB is the promotion of large amounts of content - something a Cap stops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by OHP
    Everyone in this day and age should have BB (unless you’re willing to stick with your Ancient Connection! If UTV are not willing to stick their necks out for us! then why should we do it for them? Promises Promises Promises! = Lies, Lies, Lies! Come on UTV get the Lead OUT!!!
    Don't forget that the majority of people right now, can't get broadband and so will not be able to avail of a UTV BB offering. Also, 50 odd euros will be out of reach of many. A decent flat rate 56k flat rate service is still hugely important for the country.. Personally, I'd rather see UTV concentrate on getting this right than launch into reselling a low spec eircom bitstream.

Remember, they have never asked anyone here to wait for them to do BB, nor have they said that they would be offering it any time soon, so they are not letting anyone down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Mark_irl

Their friaco product is most likely going to be 150 hrs a month, usable at any time of the day, not great compared to the 24hr connectivity of an uncapped dsl product like netsource's.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Lionheart

I'm withUTVip currently and would like to stick with them but decision time is coming.

I know I have to give one full calender months notice so unless I hear something on their broadband proposals before the 28th May, my notice of cancellation is going in the post and I'll be subscribing to either Esat or Netsource. I will then be connected before end of June.

Its a real shame that UTVip is not doing more to hold onto their customers.

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    Don't forget that the majority of people right now, can't get broadband and so will not be able to avail of a UTV BB offering. Also, 50 odd euros will be out of reach of many. A decent flat rate 56k flat rate service is still hugely important for the country.. Personally, I'd rather see UTV concentrate on getting this right than launch into reselling a low spec eircom bitstream.

Remember, they have never asked anyone here to wait for them to do BB, nor have they said that they would be offering it any time soon, so they are not letting anyone down.
    The only reason the majority of people cant get BB right now is because of the terrible condition of the Copper Wire Eircon use/d to supply each and every one of its customers. I am with UTVip and I have saved a lot more than €50 a month by being with them. So paying €50 pm would be a doodle to me for an always on 24/7 connection with no cap. I mean which would you prefer? Paying €50 pm for and ADSL / Always on 24/7 connection with no cap or €50 pm for a crappy Flatrate 56k connection? Anyone who is using Eircon for their internet use and phone calls average €150 pm phone bill (using ISDN anyway). But by using UTVip save on average €60 to €70 pm. At the moment UTV offer an ISDN user a connection of 64k and150 hours OP (off peak) per month for €30 odd Euros pm. To beat that a flat rate package would need to be offered @ around €20 pm or less for a 56k connection. But who wants a 56k connection when we should be able to get ADSL?

OHP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by OHP
    The only reason the majority of people cant get BB right now is because of the terrible condition of the Copper Wire Eircon use/d to supply each and every one of its customers.
    4 reasons. 1. Poor quality copper wire. 2. Out of range of enabled exchange. 3. Sharing a split line. 4. Exchange not upgraded.

If you suffer from any of these, it won't make any difference if UTV is doing broadband. That is why it is important that they concentrate on getting a decent flat rate package together, imho.

Currently if you are on a decent line that is not split and is in range of an enabled exchange, you have a choice of three ISPs. UTV offering broadband will not bring broadband to any more people than can already get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

Originally posted by NIBBS
    Why is everyone in such a rush to get BB ??????
    I'd love it yeah, but there's no way on earth I'm going to take out a 12 month contract with either Eircon or Esat, jesus I reckon some of you people are mad in the head.........
    why not wait a couple of months and see how the services are working out (or even see if they have been installed), at the moment Eircom (remember the very large telco in Ireland) can't even keep up with the phone demand for BB, what sort of crap is that ? Esat are starting to show signs of strain, and I'm not sure about VIA (at least they have a decent product offering).........

anyway, the installation times seem to be slipping already - so why not wait and see the lay of the land when the services have been around a while.....I'll be perfectly happy to give UTV a chance, if the FRIACO product is good I may even use that for a while and see how the BB market looks then.
    there's no way I'll get into a 12 month contract with a download cap, with a company I don't trust in the first place just because I', impatient, it's crazy.
    the whole idea behind BB is the promotion of large amounts of content - something a Cap stops

hear hear, well said nibbs. Also good point above this post skepticone - after all folks we're STILL waiting to actually get flat rate dialup, it would be nice to have as it would be available to anyone in the country with a phone line.

I'm also still waiting before recommending my family go for one or other DSL offerings (i'm currently in Australia for a year) - particularly don't like the measly DL caps & a 12 month contract is fairly stinky too. I much prefer a company (*cough UTV *cough*) which keeps you using them by delivering a good service at the right price instead of forcing you via a long contract.

Keep us informed with what comes out BB / flatrate wise

Cheers,
    Colm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭fatguy

Just to nitpick, the UTVip 56k service is €45/month. There's a €15 subscription fee that they aren't very vocal about.

And yes, they're working on it. With any luck they'll be able to make an uncapped service for a few Euros more. All you impatient fools with Esat and Eircom Net DSL will be stung. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

I blame Eircom and Comreg for not as yet making it feasible for UTVinternet to announce plans for the introduction of a Broadband 24/7 package deal.

Also, lets not forget that UTVip! really opened the door in the Republic for open competition , and it would IMHO be a mistake to underestimate what tactics they have up their sleeve?...

Things should really become very interesting form June/July.

Paddy20.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Originally posted by fatguy

And yes, they're working on it. With any luck they'll be able to make an uncapped service for a few Euros more. All you impatient fools with Esat and Eircom Net DSL will be stung. ;)

Erm, it would really want to be a few euros less than Esats. 50 isnt acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by fatguy
    Just to nitpick, the UTVip 56k service is €45/month. There's a €15 subscription fee that they aren't very vocal about.

What...are ya talking about. I pay €30 per month for utvIP and then my regular voice call charges on top of that.

Personally, an extra 20 quid per month for dsl isn't something i'll even notice. Now if only netsource was €50 p/m :DDD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

The vast majority of people, (those who dont know what Divx means for example) see €50 as too steep. You really need to get down to the 30-35 euro mark before they start taking notice.

• Advertisement

UTV seem to be holding on to something here. So come on UTV come on Spill It!!!. Lex_Diamonds just for your info. Total savings with UTV on phone bills so far is €1,082.04 €'s since I joined them. €50 or even €100 pm would mean even bigger savings.

OHP

Advertisement