Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats a fair price for FRIACO, and/or BROADBAND ?..

Options
  • 03-05-2003 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

Whats a "Fair price" for FRIACO, and or BROADBAND ?...

What would you regard as a *Fair price for a flat-rate 24/7 FRIACO service, or how much should we reasonably be willing too pay for BROADBAND, depending upon need, and the right to have access for all our citizens, from all social and economic household/income categories, considering the real income gaps that exist between everone wishing too avail of the Internet?..

Paddy20.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

when flat rate comes out it will be around 15 euro you cant complane with that man

and broadband i would happly pay 25-35 euro a month but with a 1:24 ratio and free set up (not to arsed about cap but maybe 10 gig would be fairer)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭50Cent

40 a month unlimited cap would suit me perfectly. Caps just ruin the fun of the way i see Broadband. When i think of broadband, i think, supa fast internet with no limit. But my whole perception of the internet has not changed yet until the cap issue is ****ed away with!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Originally posted by Paddy20
    Whats a "Fair price" for FRIACO, and or BROADBAND ?...

What would you regard as a *Fair price for a flat-rate 24/7 FRIACO service, or how much should we reasonably be willing too pay for BROADBAND, depending upon need, and the right to have access for all our citizens, from all social and economic household/income categories, considering the real income gaps that exist between everone wishing too avail of the Internet?..

Paddy20.
    Was this not already discussed in some older threads Paddy20?

OHP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

OHP,

Even if it was discussed in some older threads. Do you not agree that in the light of recent developments in the subject matter and forthcoming eagerly awaited new FRIACO/BROADBAND offerings expected as and from June.

This might be a more appropriate or realistic time to try and influence what possible new and existing Internet users might have to pay ?..

In any case, times and circumstances change but some questions still remain too be asked for the common good of all citizens.

Hope this explains my thread at this time ?..

Paddy20;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Fixed rate dial up
    The cost to the user should be directly related to the cost of provision of service (and telco's have proxies & caching) - otherwise it's an illegal cartel..

Once upon a time IDSN lines in this country had the 9,600bps always on (so you could receive a message to dial up to de queue email etc) - but the telco's were not making enough money.

And with BB like local calls excluding the install costs the billing is probably the most expensive thing to do - well you are already paying for the copper to the exchange and it's upkeep.. so the extra you should pay is relative to the cost of provision of the bandwidth and a portion of the telco's modem costs (which they already have in place) - doubt they will be buying that many more ports - especially if it stops others phoning you.. also cable laid many years ago is still unlit.... so excluding the loss in revenue, the cost of provision is negligable. And eircon could do with good publicity....

BroadBand
    The most important thing is fixed price.
    ie. when you go over your limit you get throttled rather than charged.

NTL have been giving unmetered broadband for years with no competition at about half the cost of the telco's - and you can't say NTL don't need money.

So on that basis I have to say €30 a month would be the UPPER limit on the basic package, at which point you get throttled to 64K until your moving average (or whatever) drops below your monthly amount. - ie. YOU decide if you want to pay more for unthrottled bandwidth.

BTW:
    what are the chances of getting the telco's to block known american spam and pop-up mail and junk advertising sites to save bandwidth if we are still paying for it.

=============================

Must admit I'm slightly biased - local bandwidth on www.dublinwan.org is free and unmetered once you have connected - handy if someone has already downloaded what you are looking for , internet bandwidth however is a shared cost but I can't see it ever being more than half of the equilivant Telco product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by bizmark
    when flat rate comes out it will be around 15 euro you cant complane with that man

Where did you get that?

AFAIK Its agreed that its going to be 25-30 when it comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

i realise this wont be exactly what people want to hear butin denmark 512/128 is about £50 sterling. This is accepted as a decent price (uncapped). Thats quite similar to VIA offer aint it?

I know we compare to UK and USA where its very cheap but those kinda prices imo will take time. A good starting price is what we have (VIA uncappeed ne way). Ideally id like it to drop to what it is in the UK but doubt that will happen anytime soon.
    Im happy enough with the current price(VIA) as long as it drops over time (ie competition).

Then again i know a lot of people here will disagree with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭swoofer

Its ironic talking about the cost of products that are

A) Difficult to get in most of the country.

B) Are usually full of restrictions and hidden charges.

The IRISH REPUBLIC is completely geared to businesses and costs are struck accordingly. The domestic user is just an ADD ON or a MUST HAVE becasue of COMREG.

The myth portrayed is that IRELAND is high tech. Its not.

The numbers of people using the internet here are tiny in comparision to other countries so no incentive to EIRCOM to get wired up. So we just have to wait.

As far as cost is concrerned it is a totl lirony that Ireland can have prices for accessing the internet that are so out of line with the rest of the world it is untrue and yet via the internet we can find out exactly how much other countries are charging and the best example is the UK, £27 stg per month = 38 euro. So we should be paying as close to this as possible with no limits. But we won't until the technology catches up.

Look at DELL, a system for the UK is cheaper and a better spec that what u can buy here but we make the things in Limerick. If this is not IRISH what is? Why should we be fobbed off with old?

Wait and wait and never catch up but in the long run

gb--

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

GBCULLEN,

So true, but just wait another Month or so?. Thats when the real competition will for the *first time in this Country, be allowed too kick in.

The open competitive market sparks should start flying so fast and furiously, that they may even light up the night sky.

As for a fair price for 24/7 FRIACO, from my point of view and circumstances I would respectfully suggest to Comreg, the ISPs and our wonderful Government. That €20 per month {Inc Vat} is all I could reasonably afford for my anytime Internet online usage on my 56k modem.

As for BROADBAND, I know so little about it except that is superfast and online games players love it. However, I would still like too have access to a 24/7 BROADBAND flat-rate offering of perhaps a set monthly fee of €25 {inc Vat} and without any hidden extra charges. It would probably really open up the true possibilities of the Internet for people like me for the first time.

Paddy20;) ;)

Advertisement