Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl & Aldi in Co.Clare

Options
  • 03-05-2003 11:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Anyone know of any towns in Co.Clare which have a Lidl or an Aldi store?

I know there's a Lidl store in Ennis & there's one In Shannon.

Any other towns have one, or has anyone heard of any other towns in the county which are having one built?

Thanks !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭matthiku

So far there is only Lidl in Clare; in Shannon and Ennis.

But I heard rumours about Aldi coming to Ennis.... can anybody confirm that?

Btw, why are you so interested in them?

And here is what I like to say when I hear TESCO's ads:
    "EVERY LIDL HELPS!"

(You should know, that you have to pronounce Lidl in the German way, which is L-y-d-l (similar to "little", but slower) and not L-i-d-l!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 MINOGUE

Albrecht Discount, that is where the abbreviated name for AlDi comes from.

Last year Lidl established an Ennis base on the Galway road and 12 months on Tesco and the German retail giant are involved in a price war. Lidl do not however purchase any produce from Irish producers.
    The German-owned retailer Aldi are to join this price war after lodging plans for a discount foodstore on a vaccant green site opposite the Tesco centre on Francis Street.
    The retial group made clear their intentions to open shop in Ennis last month after paying Clare GAA €4 million for two acre site adjacent Cusack Park. According to the planning statement lodged by the company with Ennis Town Council, there will be a single storey discount foodstore with a gross area of 1,170 sq.m. and a net retail floor area of 760 sq.m. along with 112 carpark.

Aldi only carries 700 lines, compared to 15,000 lines at Tesco.

A decesion by the Planning Authority is expected to take 8 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

are you sure they dont sell irish goods? the packaging of many of their vegetables would suggest otherwise.

Either way I dont care...I saw a lasy with 4 Bags of groceries in front of me in LIDL the other day, she handed over 40 euros and got a tenner back! Try shopping in any irish supermarket and pay less than 20 euro per bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭matthiku

I am not going to defend Lidl or Aldi here. But I just want to give my impressions as a consumer.

I know they are also selling Irish products because we buy there every week - and saving a fortune by doing that! I cannot and do not want to afford the Tesco prices for my family.

It is part of the policy of both Aldi and Lidl to source indigenous goods. And some goods, like perishables, have to be sourced locally anyway.

OK, they only provide 700 lines, but that covers 90% of our routine food shopping!

We like to use Lidl or Aldi because we do not want to pay for fancy store decorations and lots of other gimmicks offered in most convential shops when I only want to buy my daily bred. At the end of the day, all these additions have to be paid be the customer! Ok, I understand and accept that some people like this, so that's a personal question.

There was an interesting hearing in the Dáil in 1999 with a Lidl representative: here

It is also a fact proven in other countries that cheap doesn't mean lower quality (And for our part, I can also confirm that for Lidl in Ireland). That is something we still have to learn here. What I am missing, btw, is a neutral and meaningful consumer institution checking the quality of any consumer products. With the emphasis on neutrality.

Ireland does not have to be one of the most expensive countries in Europe, but to get off the top rank there, we need more competition - and it doesn't make much sense (other then to mislead) to call that a "price war", and trying to indicating that it is something bad. This is not just black&white, good vs. evil, big vs. small. Btw, Tesco is a much bigger retailer then the Schwarz Group (incl. Lidl), see this report.

Just my € 0.02...

Advertisement