Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Console

Options
  • 04-05-2003 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

I've searched but can't find if this poll has already been done. Anyway I'm considering buying one of the 3 main consoles out at the moment. I'd like to know people's opinion on each if possible, whether they own them or not.

thanks!

Best Console 87 votes

Xbox
    0% 0 votes
    Playstation 2
    20% 18 votes
    Nintendo Gamecube
    19% 17 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    48% 42 votes
    Other
    11% 10 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

whats the other console someone is on about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

go gamecube, it's your birthday!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

depends what kinda games you like...how much you have to spend....weither you are after multyplayer Or if you dont or do have a dvd player would also sway your choice.....for me though its the CUBE, i have one and a ps2 and i play cube alot more ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Originally posted by Tusky
    depends what kinda games you like...how much you have to spend....weither you are after multyplayer Or if you dont or do have a dvd player would also sway your choice.....for me though its the CUBE, i have one and a ps2 and i play cube alot more ! :D

I'm glad to see the votes for the Gamecube as that is the one I have my eye on. Especially since I saw it advertised in Xtravision for €160 with Metriod Prime which I hear is a preety good game. I would also love to get my hands on Zelda. Don't laugh but this was one of the greatest games I ever played when it was on the Gameboy. I wasn't one of the fortunates to get an N64 so missed out on the Ocarina of Time. (but i played it a good bit on a friend's).
    depends what kinda games you like...

I'm mainly a PC gamer and my favourite game type is RPG and maybe a bit of strategy. I was looking at the Xbox but the RPG games are few and far between.
    weither you are after multyplayer

I'd say you mean online rather than 4 controllers etc. Neither is really important to me. I'd rather have a solid single player console with the games to match.
    Or if you dont or do have a dvd player would also sway your choice.....

I actually don't have a DVD player (well except on my PC) so this is a bit of a put off as it would be great to play DVDs through the TV like the PS2 and the xbox but again, if the games are good enough I guess I could sacrifice it. Does it even play CDs? My other concern is that the typical game CD only contains about 1/7 the data of a DVD on the xbox or PS2 and I'd see this as a limitation. I want to be able get value for €€€€, and don't want to finish a €60 game in 2 days.
    for me though its the CUBE, i have one and a ps2 and i play cube alot more ! :D

why do you prefer the cube to the PS2? usually if you have 2 consoles and you're deciding which to flick on it comes down to handiness, which loads quicker, which is better fun for a short game etc....

if zelda was your fav game AND you missed ocarnia of time on N64 ( which is prolly considered best zelda game and best game of all time by many ppl ) then your choice should be obvious , get a CUBE with wind waker
    ( you do know wind waker now comes with a bonus disk which has ocarnia of time on it ? )
    with Metriod Prime which I hear is a preety good game

heh preety good ? them words are insulting ! metriod is fantastic... look at any reviews www.eurogamer.net / www.ign.com etc - it usually gets 9.8 - 10 :)

why do you prefer the cube to the PS2?
    Well im not saying the PS2 doesnt have good games, buuuut alot of them come out on PC or are multy format anyway, Final Fantasy X / Metal Gear solid 2 ( which was a disapointment) and GTA 3 / Vice city (which are both now out on PC ) were the reasons i bought meh PS2 (also for the dvd player )

Metal gear solid is out on PC and the first one is coming out on cube ! a new cube exclusive final fantasy is coming out ( which suggests more will follow as Square and nintendo have settled thier childish row ! you know final fantasy was originally on nintendo consoles...just like MGS was )

Also if your after multy player you wont get beter than Super monkey ball 1/2 great laugh with a few frnds !
    If your after a racer Mario Kart / F-zero X both look to die for :)
    as for platformers mario sunshine / the upcoming wario AND lets not forget about horror / survival games - Eternal darkness / resident evil 0 and 1,

ofc people will come on saying blah blah but ps2 has this game and this game ect but at the end of day its just my opinion :)

[edit] : just realised i didnt mention X-box...emmm lets just say you need an x-box like you need a willy on your elbow !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

i choose gc, mearly because of the quality off games that are available, and all the ole ps games that kept that side up are comin over to the cube [resident evil, metal gear etc...]

up ninty :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

The GC definately, it is a games console, it doesnt try to be anything else, it just stays as a games console and focus's on doing that better than the other two, and in my opinion it wiped the floor with both of them. Nintendo have Miyamoto with them, he will work on some of the most legendary games, he has done in the past and I feel he will do in the future. Ninty work on quality, PS2 works on quantity, x-box works on getting PC games converted (ie: quantity). But since you already have a PC, X-box is more or less out the window already (halo is coming out on the PC soon enough and is meant to blow the X-box one out of the water).

With nintendo you WILL get games going down in history, in the past 2 months two games have been released which spring a new leash of life into two diffrent console game genre's (meroid = FPS games, Wind Waker = action adventure [RPG aswell if ure being loose]). And with the new mario kart coming out in the near future, you will have all the 4 player chaos you will ever need for at least 4 months, not many games will go on that long, but mario kart has always done it if you have 3 good friends who want a good laugh crowded around a TV.

So im purely for nintendo, they make the legendary games that get remembered, example: how many PS1 games would you still play? how many N64 games would you still play? I can think of 3 PS1 games, Tekken3, FF7 and Metal Gear solid (but the last 2 are on the PC, so only 1 game left really). However on the N64 I can think of loads: DK64, doom 64 (I liked it, ok?), Zelda OOT, Zelda MM, Mario Kart, Golden Eye, Perfect Dark, Diddy Kong Racing (not as good MP as mario kart, but had great SP), mario 64, Fzero-X, and im sure Im missing at least half a dozen. Nintendo make history, sony and microsoft make money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

For me it's been Nintendo all the way (except the 16bit era, Sonic was just too cool). They always do things with a little more style, a little more pinache and they don't pander crap to children...as much as others.
    Playstation always seem to go for the cheap thrill which is fair enough if you're a more casual gamer, but except for rarities like ICO depth is something not found on a box with the sony logo...except c.d. players but that doesn't count. Neither do extra large cardboard boxes...you know what I mean!
    Anyway, the GC is the smallest and has the nicest colours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭50Cent

So im purely for nintendo, they make the legendary games that get remembered, example: how many PS1 games would you still play? how many N64 games would you still play? I can think of 3 PS1 games, Tekken3, FF7 and Metal Gear solid (but the last 2 are on the PC, so only 1 game left really). However on the N64 I can think of loads: DK64, doom 64 (I liked it, ok?), Zelda OOT, Zelda MM, Mario Kart, Golden Eye, Perfect Dark, Diddy Kong Racing (not as good MP as mario kart, but had great SP), mario 64, Fzero-X, and im sure Im missing at least half a dozen. Nintendo make history, sony and microsoft make money.

I have a ps2. Im also getting a gamecube though. And if the N64 was so good, how come it was a flop? If you had used the normal Nintendo as an example...id agree with you but u used N64, yes GoldenEye was good. so was that racing one and mario kart but it still flopped.

You also forgot the whole grand theft auto series for the ps1. the first colin mcrae rally. and a load more which also made it onto pc and ps2. Look, the gamecube seems like good fun which is why im buying one...but dont play down the ps2. Its already made history and is already an established games console. Oh and about this "Sony and microsoft just want to make money"...so does every ****en console company...its called competition...dream on...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

SNES!

btw, the storage capacity of the discs is nothing to worry about. There's more than enough space on any medium to make an oh-my-god long game, the extra space on DVDs could only be filled with video cut-scenes (and maybe, just maybe, sound. but there'd want to be a -hell- of a lot of sound to make the GC's disc a limitation)

That said, though..... SNES!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

I voted gamecube
    GC is the new SNES.. just needs killer instinct, and a few more good rpgs..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

G'wan the cube. It clearly owns all in terms of style and the controller is luvveleh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Originally posted by 50Cent
    I have a ps2. Im also getting a gamecube though. And if the N64 was so good, how come it was a flop? If you had used the normal Nintendo as an example...id agree with you but u used N64, yes GoldenEye was good. so was that racing one and mario kart but it still flopped.
    It flopped because it didnt advertise, and that there was a sony playstation which all the 'cool' kids brought, most casual gamers (80% or more Id say) would be more likely to go for a PS, because of the brand name and that everyone else has one. (this applies for most things, brand over quality, eg: more people buy reebok and nike etc over smaller brands, why? their hardly better quality, cheap shoes last me 5 times longer than expensive brands, cost half as much and look as good, they just dont have a brand tag slapped on).

About the last line, i meant that sony and microsoft will do anything for more money, all their 'xbox/PS2 exclusives' end up on the PC aswell, look at halo, MGS2, SPlinter cell. All 'exclusive one console games' are now on the PC, why? more money, nintendo wont sell off their games when they stop rolling in the money, they will let them die out instead of drag in some extra money and just linger.
    You also forgot the whole grand theft auto series for the ps1. the first colin mcrae rally.
    Which are now both on PC, so why would someone buy a PS just for games like this when they can just get a PC instead and play it on that (almost everyone who plays games even remotely regularly should have a PC by now, I know of none that dont have a PC but play games alot)

edit:
    You say the PS2 has made history, if people still look back on it as a great console in 10 years time in the same way that they do with a snes, then you can say that again, but until that time I wont belive that the PS2 has made history, the PS1 is more or less dead, no-one even mentions it anymore beyond 'it had a few good games'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Originally posted by Pugsley
    nintendo wont sell off their games when they stop rolling in the money, they will let them die out instead of drag in some extra money and just linger.

why is that though? are you saying they don'yt need the money? there is obviously a reason my the nintendo games Mario, Zelda etc don't get ported to the PC and I'd say its more to with licence issues than just "letting them die out". So Playstation convert their games onto PC (and vice versa)..... that makes business sense really. I doubt many people would complain if Zelda was released on the PC.

Which are now both on PC, so why would someone buy a PS just for games like this when they can just get a PC instead and play it on that (almost everyone who plays games even remotely regularly should have a PC by now, I know of none that dont have a PC but play games alot)

I know of loads that do play games a lot but don't have a PC. As well as that the 2 are completely different formats and are bought for different reasons. People buy a console so they can sit under their TV, play it with a couple of friends and generally use at convenience. A PC is a lot less convenient but adds much more in other areas such as multiplayer, add ons, mods etc. Some people even buy the PC version of game that they already own on a console just to get the extra features. Its a bit pointless to compare them.

You say the PS2 has made history, if people still look back on it as a great console in 10 years time in the same way that they do with a snes, then you can say that again, but until that time I wont belive that the PS2 has made history, the PS1 is more or less dead, no-one even mentions it anymore beyond 'it had a few good games'.

what?!! I play Pro Evolution on the PS1 almost every day. Its a masterpiece. I haven't even seen a SNES in years!

You also forgot the whole grand theft auto series for the ps1. the first colin mcrae rally. and a load more which also made it onto pc and ps2. Look, the gamecube seems like good fun which is why im buying one...but dont play down the ps2. Its already made history and is already an established games console. Oh and about this "Sony and microsoft just want to make money"...so does every ****en console company...its called competition...dream on...

please mate you really dont seem to know WHAT the hell your talking about, the best game of all time ( considered by many anywho ) came from the N64 ( zelda oot) goldeneye was quite ground breaking for its time also, if your talking about making gamign hsitory...

who was the first console company to use D-pad...who was first console company to use analog stick, who was first console company to invent rumble pack, who made the first fully 3-d platformer ? who were the first to use shoulder buttons ? ( GB) afaik is still the bigest selling computer ever...
    and the list goes on .... (BTW the ansers to the above are Nintendo

andwhy did the N64 flop ? it didnt get alot of 3rd party support, nintendo also had a bad attitude towards europe and didnt advertise etc, CUBE may not be doing great over here but look @ the figures in USE and JAPAN, nintendo really have to pay more attention to european market if they want to stay afloat imo - anywho i could ramble on but basically all im saying is buy a CUBE :)

Some of you people are just putting me off buying a cube because your going on like this is your ****en religion or something.

Oh come on! The ps1 was a much better console than any stinking n64...forget your advertising bull****. it was, the games were well better.
    please mate you really dont seem to know WHAT the hell your talking about, the best game of all time ( considered by many anywho ) came from the N64 ( zelda oot) goldeneye was quite ground breaking for its time also, if your talking about making gamign hsitory...

You tool! the most successful game was Super Mario brothers 3 for the nintendo!!! Zelda was also on that first and it was a hit on that. The n64 was ****. Goldeneye as mentioned was the best on it!!!

It flopped. It deserved to flop. None of this bull**** about cool kids wanting a casual games console. Sony just beat all yo asses to it!

Now would you stop putting me off and let me buy a ****en cube without going on about the n64 cos if i keep thinking about the n64 im not gonna buy a cube and i want one...they look good, play good...actually im concerned about that joypad thing...i didnt like that, do you get used to it? Anyway thats that!

:p

ok i dont want this to turn into a flame war but i just want to point some things out...
    You tool! the most successful game was Super Mario brothers 3 for the nintendo!!
    did i say ANYTHING about nintendos most successful game ?did i ? no i didnt so that makes no sence
    Zelda was also on that first and it was a hit on that.
    I dont understand this sentence, it makes no sence...
    Goldeneye as mentioned was the best on it!!!
    In whos opinion ? yours ? i wouldnt value your opinion v.highly as your obviously quite ignorant and uninformed about the games industry, i wouldnt be surprised if youve never pld a nintendo system...
    It flopped. It deserved to flop. None of this bull**** about cool kids wanting a casual games console
    Why did it deserve to flop ? it didnt get 3rd party support, full stop, it DIDNT deserve to flop, just like the dreamcast didnt deserve it either,
    Now would you stop putting me off and let me buy a ****en cube
    Dear christ...you sound 12 year old, am i trying to stop you buying "your" cube ? go right ahead heh , if you save your poket money for a few months you might have enough
    actually im concerned about that joypad thing
    What are you concerned about ? that it fits smug in your hands and the buttons are nice and responsive ? :) imo its the best controller ab00t...

anywho my efforts failed, *sniff* i smell burning :(
    [EDIT] : I just realised your nick is 50cent HAHAHAHA....sorry had to do that...haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Insectman2000

You tool! the most successful game was Super Mario brothers 3 for the nintendo!!! Zelda was also on that first and it was a hit on that. The n64 was ****. Goldeneye as mentioned was the best on it!!!
    Afraid you're wrong, mate.
    Zelda was first out on the NES in 1985
    And what grounds have you to prove the most successful game ever was Super Mario Brothers 3 for the NES?

50Cent: you ought to give things a proper read before you post. In the same way, you ought to actually play a games console before you condemn it to being a flop. It wasn't a flop. It didn't reach the height that Playstation had to maul and sell it's soul for over and over but it was very, very popular in America and Japan for quite a while.
    Tusky is right, Europe has never been Ninty's strong point but that doesn't make a difference to what y'all are talking about. Just because everyone you know doesn't have an N64 and because Nelly doesn't have one in the back of his Bentley doesn't mean it's not a quality console, a better quality console.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Tusky, jesus, shut up. The N64 didn't do well in Europe because the quantity and quality of software available for it here was very poor compared to the PlayStation.

Sony have been kicking Nintendo's backside soundly in terms of making games consoles that people want to play games on since the PSX was first released. Its that simple. HOWEVER - this doesn't mean the GameCube isn't a magnificent bit of kit. The exclusive titles it has are more than worth the price of entry, and that's why Nintendo consistently do so well - because their first-party exclusives are great, and will never be ported elsewhere.

Sony exclusives don't end up elsewhere, either - it's third party companies who port their games to other platforms.

By the way, please don't even start to suggest that the PSX didn't have a library of stunning games that we'll still remember in a decade's time. If anything, once the rose tinted glasses for the SNES era come off, people will start to realise that the PSX was actually a much better console in software terms than anything which came before it.

• Advertisement

im not disputing the fact that sony sell more consoles shinji but ah meh fingers are sore from typing, ill reply later :o

To me the majority of people in here are extreme game actually to be more precise, Nintendo game freaks who jerk off about their ****en console every night because the buttons are so "smug and responsive"...go sleep with it then...sounds like thats what you do anyway...and for the love of God(the real one that is...not a ****en console), shutup trying to say i never played a nintendo!!! I had it and loved it...but sony whipped its ass...advertising or not...they whipped its ass, through quality and amount of games...
    Zelda was first out on the NES in 1985

thats my point. it was out on that well before it was on the n64. the n64 flopped cos it was ****. they didnt sell like sony. they wanted to but couldnt. the dreamcast also deserved to flop...the best game was virtua tennis. it flopped because it sucked. Now shutup and stop bitching...

Oh and about SMB3...its not prooven, its thought to be though. I think it was the best game for the nes. go wet your pants now because i think differently to you tusky...

For me it's been Nintendo all the way (except the 16bit era, Sonic was just too cool). They always do things with a little more style, a little more pinache and they don't pander crap to children...as much as others.

Goo your own quote says it all about you...Nintendo all the way, im not going to be immature enough to say "In the same way, you ought to actually play a games console before you condemn it to being a flop." Of course i played it...who didnt? My neighbours had one...i played it every day after school! Goldeneye multiplayer...doesnt get much better than that? Well it didnt...but at least i can admit when credit is due.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Jeesus h Christ 50cent. you do speak a load of waffle, and are quite teh sony Fanboy!

Both consoles were great, the psx had great titles and was liked by a complete different type of gamer, so was the N64.

and going to the SNES era, ffs, the only competition was the saturn, which was a botched job of something that could have been great, the saturn was simply rush out with 2 3D graphics chip, which quite frankly, no developers knew how to use to the full potential, same **** with teh Jaguar.

Nintendo do reward their fans, as do Sony, so quite bitching the two of yee.
    The GC has incredible potential to be a class "beers with your mates" console, wait for titles such as mario kart and what not to arrive. This constant nay saying of consoles drives me up the walls, just like the idiots over at teh rock and metal boards.

PS2,X-Box,GC,GBA-sp. they are all great in their own light, and really theres no 1 better than the rest type of console, different gamers like different things, its just like the regions, games wont do well the world over unless they have some extra "shiznit" in them, because again, Jap's like certain types of games, as do the yanks, and as do us Peans!

ffs. Grow the **** up and have a bit more of a civilised arguement.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hers what I think starting with the worst.

Xbox
    This console has an absolutely woefulk games collection. It's only doing well because of Microsofts carpet marketing and Americans seem to like souless action games. The only exclusive of note on the xbox is Halo which is only half a great game. It may be online but I'm not convinced of the quality of online games at the moment or their potential. Buy a xbox and prepare to be disappointed if you have ever played a great game.

Gamecube
    It may not have many games but the first party exclusive more than make up for it. If you buy a cube you won't be disappointed. In fact if you have the money then I can't recommend highly enough that you get a cube as a second console. Recently the cube has gotten most of my play time because of Metroid Prime and Zelda which are two of the best games ever and if you like games then you can't miss these two titles. Then theres also the resi games Mario sunshine and the up coming Mario Kart and Ikaruga (Drool)

PS2
    It may have Quantity over Quality in terms of games but there is far more quality games than either console. Games like ICO FFX and GTA make this console essential and others like Devil May Cry and MGS2 aren't too shabby either. However if you want the most get your console chipped so you don't miss out on excellent games like Xenosaga and Suikoden 3. If you love RPGs then this is the console of choice.

GBA SP
    It's portable. It has Nintendo games. It looks cool. This is the best console out at the moment. The library of games is stuffed with pure quality, Zelda, Mario, Advance Wars, Metroid Fusion. And then the upcoming FF tactics. Your only a casual gamer without it (unless you're called robb and call yourself Shinji :-) )

jesus Im not trying to say nintendo are great sony are crap <full stop> i own a PS 1 and a PS 2 ffs , I was just pointing out the stupidity coming out of certain people... did i ever say sony are crap ? or nintendo are beter ?

its just anoys me when ppl say such painfully idiotic things as
    blah blah blah N64 was **** blah blah
    the dreamcast also deserved to flop...the best game was virtua tennis

Of course all the consoles haev good and bad points and I was just giving my opinion on which i like most , YOU however were mouthing off " this was ****" "that was ****" etc and also puting in silly insults...

anywho ill end it here :rolleyes:

[edit] : can i ask 50cent are you irish ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm sorry but 50cents just shut up. Have a read of what you posted. You sound like the biggest fanboy of all. And slagging off the dreamcast and N64 for lack of quality shows how ignorant you are. If I remember lots of great games came out for both of these consoles. The dreamcast failed because of bad advertising and a lack of faith in a Sega machine after they had failed in their past consoles. And the N64 was far from a flop but also far from a huge success. The console was badly designed for cartridges and by the time it was out the PS was so far ahead there was no catching up.

Im not responding to any individual comments. Look i aint a fanboy. I like the ps2 mainly for pro evolution 2. I am actually getting bored of my ps2. Which is why i was going for a gamecube.

But this is the story...Sony whipped everyones ass for the console which had everything in one and the games were far superior to that of any other console..."ah jaysus boyyyy, the advertising of them console was fair better than nintendo which is y nintendo flopped and dreamcast wasnt ****, it was the best console in the world...say it is...say it is...say its not true..." . Now that ive said this again. I will now get back watching ken lose...in the snooker.

Well, now I don't know how to feel. Xbox could have been decent but giving HALO out for the cash and cheap advertisement to p.c. owners was just so dumb. What are they going to sell it with now "Ratchet and Clank"?

I have to admit...i loved it when splinter cell was an xbox exclusive...and i wud have prob bought an xbox cos of that and a few others...but now its on ps2 and theres no point so btwn xbox and ps2...its defo ps2 but the cube seems like a logical alternative to the ps2 not cos its better...cos one is like chalk and one is like cheese. Cube is somthing i really like the idea of having but i jsut noticed res evil is on the cube too...dont knwo why or if its even different but i like the other games going for it...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I have deleted a number of posts by 50cent and goo from this thread. If you can't be civil, my next move will be to remove your access to the board. Play nicely with the other children.

Advertisement