Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

G'wan Firman!

• 04-05-2003 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Ralph Firman got his first Formula 1 point today with a fine display. Pity about Fisi who had a lousy pit stop then a blown engine.

The new Ferrari does'nt look any faster than the "old" one. Here's hopping the Renault can keep them and Maclaran honest through the season.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Indeed it didn't look much faster ! Although I'm not sure how much of it's performance today can be attributed to tyre degredation, still, if anyone can get a car across the line with grip being a problem then it's Schuey.
    Good enough race I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

I don't think it's so straightforward about the F2003-GA's performance. It's impossible to judge. Sure, Alonso kept up with them (well done to him) but it was his home track, he had the support, and knew the line. The McLaren's weren't there to judge the Ferraris against, and the Williamses seemed off the pace... Or was it that they weren't off the pace and the Ferraris and Alonso were really fast? I don't think they were off the pace. They finished in 4th and 5th! That's right where you'd expect them to finish!
    Even Barrichello, who drove a lack-lustre race, finished 3/4 of a minute ahead of anybody else out there.

Slow Ferraris? I don't think so. We'll have to wait and see when they're raced against McLarens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Barcalona track is used by all teams for testing so no-one can be unfaimilair with it. The Williams of Ralf was handling like a dog but thats proberly tyres not set-up.

The surprise of the afternoon was de Matta in the Totota.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Originally posted by mike65
    The new Ferrari does'nt look any faster than the "old" one.

Schumi is known for his modesty and the words he used to describe the GA are "wonderful" and "love"....he also quite clearly said that without the GA, they would not have won today.

...not faster my ass :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

The appears to be only slightly faster than last years ferrari, however I believe we'll be seeing the real advances of the new ferrari in upcoming races, btw it looked like it cornered like a dog in the first half of the race.

Well done to Firman on his first gp point and keeping that twat button behind him. How many mistakes have the jordan pit crew made now does anyone know? Cost Fisi a points place if he had the engine to finish the race.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Well done to Firman but I don't think he makes the cut. I would love to see a good lineup of drviers at Jordan. As for the pit crew, well they suck. Fisi was in line for a decent points finish at the pace he was racing at and with Williams way off the pace it could have been a fourth place.

Think the Ferrari didn't look any different from last years for first half of the race but you could see the true potential of it when Schumi upped the pace. They have introduced a brand new aerodynamic package and I think the cornering was more down to the tires than anything else (as Rubens pointed out in the press conference).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Fine display? oh dear god. I have never been as embarrased watching Jordan in a GP as I was during that race... 40 seconds behind the Jaguar in 7th place, the car was woeful (handling was all over the place, their mid-corner speed was dreaful and the backend was all over the place.. and they were on a 3-stopper!), it took both Jordans nearly 20 laps to overtake the Minardis ffs. I have NEVER seen a worse performance, and then ppl go congratulate them? its 8th place, which they got because of 5 retirements from the teams above them. You only need to look at Fisis pitstop to see how lax the team has gotten, errors like that just shouldn't happen.

I'd shake Firmans hand for having to put up with the Jordan for the whole race. Thats about it.

Theres only one team who are worthy of praise for that weekend and its Toyota and Da Mattas point finish (and harrying R Schumacher in the Williams for the last few laps).

Originally posted by Kali
    Theres only one team who are worthy of praise for that weekend and its Toyota and Da Mattas point finish (and harrying R Schumacher in the Williams for the last few laps).

No bloody way...i would kick Da Matta from one end of Spain to the other. He had so many oppurtunities presented to him to overtake Schumacher and he kept backing out of the trottle or braking too early. I would either say "cowardly" attempt or just out of practice..either way he didnt impress me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

The Ferrari was having engine problems, there is no point on shaving 3/4 a second a lap off the rest of the field if your engine blows up.

Can i have a link please? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

i'd have to agree with kali, jordans had the match of most of the cars in straightline speed but looked the worst thru the turns. Woefull car, complete lemon, its even the right color.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

In complete agreement with Butcher, the Jordan is a disgrace this year. They are in an even worse state than last year when Sato was thrashing around taking his teammate off more often than not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Ah come now, to be worse than last year they'd have to take the tyres of the car and have the drivers push it around the track.

Anderson hasn't designed a good F1 car since he left Jordan a few years back. Shame Gascogine (sp?) had smarts and went to Renault his cars were the business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

Firman does it in style!!
    The session was stopped for a second time when Ralph Firman spun his Jordan as he exited the final corner and crashed into the wall on the pit straight.

Ralph rolled backwards over the line to set a time of one min 11.171 secs, which put him one place above Ralf Schumacher at the bottom of the timesheets and 3.263 secs behind Michael Schumacher.

Advertisement