Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help!!! Video Card Mystery

• 04-05-2003 2:59pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok,

im new to this video card thing, last time i changed mine, i got a TNT 2 32mb card, i want to get a good AGP card that will suit my P3 850mhz with 320MB RAM PC at home so i can play most new games.

Any idea wats the best card i can get for between 100- 150 euros, ive looked at komplett and im at a loss as to what all the jargon is there about geforce and ti9000 etc, wats the best for this price and why??

also why are some 128mb cards cheaper than some 64mb cards?

I recently changed my Motherboard ... well in the last 18 months, but at the time it was a fairly forward compatible one, cant remember what type it was tho, anyway to find out without opening the case again? its a MF to get back on :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Moved to tech. Will you PLEASE read the hw tweaking charter. It's up there at the top, kinda hard to miss. Every board has one, and we'll all thank you to begin reading them for every board BEFORE you post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

you should be able to get a geforce4 ti4200 for around that price, but I'd spend as little as possible on the card to be honest, as you won't notice much difference with your cpu.
    A good value card for your machine would be a geforce4 mx 440 ( make sure it has ddr ) or the mx 460.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

well, would the "Creative 3DBlaster GeForce4 Ti4200 64MB"

be any use to my PC??? like i said its PIII 850MHz with 320 RAM

I was thinking of getting more ram say another 256Mb, but the real question is whats the difference between the
    geforce4 mx 440 and the ti 4200 above? and would it matter if i went for the to4200 AND got more RAM or should i just settle for the cheaper geforce4 mx 440 ??? i really dont understand the differences between them all, youll have to forgive my ignorance!
    :ninja:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

consider a graphics card to be a small PC

the speed of the processor, speed of the RAM and the amount of RAM determines how much work it can do. Too much or too little in any of those areas can make the card better, or worse! Balance is the Key.

So a 128mb card with crap ram and a slow processor, is a crap card!

The TI4200 is a medium range processor, and is usually coupled with medum speed RAM. This is a generalisation though.

Personally id go for a 64mb TI4200, as some of the 128cards use cheaper slower RAM, and to date no games actually need the 128 MB.

Also, you could always put your TI in to your next machine if you upgrade. Its a lot better than the MX and not much more money

more ram (on the PC) wont really help you as your computer's CPU is the bottleneck.

The 64Mb Ti4200 is best for you IMO

Advertisement