Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U.C.D who's here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I officially left for pastures greener on Friday, but feck it, its the time of year to ressurect this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Darragh2

It sure is.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Sumaire

Thought I'd just throw myself in here...

U.C.D. Fresher ALERT.... *ME*

Arts Bum... English, Philosophy and Psychology. Darn proud of it!

-Sumaire

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

God damn freshers, god damn arts scum. sumaire you got it bad your both. The bottom of the barrel :)

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

Repeating 2nd year denominated comp sci. Wasn't my fault honest, I blame Eleni and Dunnion.

This year though, no Eleni for DSA1. Hope it's not Dunnion for both though, fell asleep in most of his lectures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Originally posted by Sumaire
    Arts Bum... English, Philosophy and Psychology. Darn proud of it!
    Youre in philosophy with my friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Darragh2

I am now a 2nd Year Arts (Orts) bum. So much better than 1st year, only 2 subjects, ha ha ha!!

Dataisgod, I know I am the bottom of the barrel! I do not deny that, I embrace it. I tried fighting the stereotype, that failed, so far. So go on, detest me.

rainbow kirby , I am indeed in Philosophy with your friend, plus their friends and their friends, friends. :) A substantialy large group we are.

Darragh2, yah. OMG, like you are just, like SOOO OhMiGod lucky that you are, like, in second year Orts, like. Totally! I appologise for that momentary lapse into "Sorcha" mode. But you are genuinely lucky to have two subjects. I am quite worried about writing the essays for college. I am used to obsene amounts of "plagiarism" and now I have to rely on my own two brain cells. Sh1t one!

Yet another Arts Bum,
    Sumaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Law fresher here.

It's the fancy mans orts.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

More than 10 hours a week? sucker!

• Advertisement

Sangre. Law, eh. I know I bunch of you "fancy arts" people. Good people. :) Plus, the funky, and expensive, hard back books make Law Students extra "fancy". I hear Contract Law is fancinating. *note to self* Stop going to Law lectures and go to your own lecture.

-Sumaire

Dont buy hard back books, although they are quite expensive.

Contract lectures are grreeeeaattt.

Oh really, one doesn't have to buy those. That may come as some news to my friends.. who have just gone out and bought them. I loved the part where the till rang up €450 for about 5 books, and they just whip out the plastic cord, roysh. Anywho... that's something entirely irrelative to everything, neither here nor there. Enjoy Law. :)

-Sumaire

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Originally posted by Sumaire
    So go on, detest me.

No bother Sumaire no bother at all

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

2nd comp sci demom

yea dunnion for DSA1, and can i just say "WHAT THE **** IS IT ALL ABOUT?!?!"

and whats with the maths lecturers? I mean, one of thems deaf! and the other'll bomb your house if ya dont listen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Originally posted by Sangre
    Contract lectures are grreeeeaattt.

Who do you have for contract?
    Bob Clarke?

I just finished my LLM in UCD...5 long years in Roebuck!

Something Mcdermot, bah first name eludes me.
    His brother wrote our contract book, he's very funny, world debating champion aswell appearantely. He does those comedy debates aswell.

Edit: oh yeah, what's LLM?
    Im doing BCL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

I'm back in UCD to do a Masters in Development Studies. (Yay.)

LLM = Legumge Magister = Masters in Law

John McDermott I think is his name. His brother must be Paul McDermott who is the best lecturer in the faculty, by far. Hillarious bloke with enclyclopedic mind! Had him for Tort and criminal in 1st and 2nd Year.

--

Heh, Dada.
    Know alot of ppl who've done Dev. Studies and a few more this year who are on Ireland Aid Scholarships. Everyone seems to like it anyway, but do find it tough work. But heck all masters are going to be a lot of work. Gluck with it.

Yeah, I'm two weeks in and already I know I'm not doing enough work! But how do they expect us to study? Lectures are 2 hours long and there's at least 2 every day!

• Advertisement

Well at least you'll prolly get to go to some far flung place to do your research. (unlike my summer of fun in the library!)

I don't think I'll be going anywhere! Unless the department pays for research trips abroad for free!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Originally posted by Einstürzende
    and whats with the maths lecturers?
    Theyre maths lecturers. therefore all nuts.

Got any hot insider tips for a budding law student then 80project?

Edit: Oh yeah sumaire, who do you know in Law?

Ehhh...

Go to lectures and study hard.

When picking your subjects in the next few years speak to ppl who have had the lecturers/subjects in question and also find out what the pass rate was the previous year. Unless the subject is of particular interest to you, all you want to make sure is to get a high 2:1 or 1st in it...thats what counts in the end.

Like any degree course, make sure you work on getting yourself a good set of notes, cos come exam time that will help you big time. You'll only have 12-15 hrs a week so set aside some time every week to either type or summarise your notes and add any others from text/cases/articles etc.

But overall, most importantly...Dont Skip lectures. Its a sure fire way to failing! (or doing ****ty)

HTH
    David

Yeah, I dont miss/skip lectures, I always feel bad if I do. It also helps that my mom knows my timetable better then me, so makes me go. :/

What about case reasarch, should I only look at the cases they tell us to do? Or every case they mention...because there is already loads.

It depends on the subject and the lecturer.

Thats why I say go to lectures becuase generally you will pick up on whats important and not. If they mention cases, go read them (or at least the headnote - all the Irish Reports have a headnote)

Theres no need to read absolutely every case on the reading list, but I would put emphasis on the ones that are cited for tutorials as they are generally the more important. Things like this will become clearer once tutorials start in the next few weeks.

Anyhoo, send me a PM if you have any big probs with things or lecturers. Hope it goes well for ya :)

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 [RoF]Gunner

Hey, arts-bum here....
    ucd is pure class, except for essays an sh't, but hey, it can't all be plain sailing....

Haven't got a part-time job yet, almost out of fcking money! Got to prioritise:
    1) Fags
    2) Alchohol
    3) Food, maybe.... if i hav enuff left over :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

first arts bum too
    i feel like such a dirty fresher
    irish, archaeology and psychology.
    two months in and i haven't talked to anyone, i know im in trouble now :(
    i wish i wasn't so crap at making friends.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Force yourself. I'm still meeting new people in my classes 3 years in, 2 months is nothing.

Advertisement