Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U.C.D who's here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

i cant
    no matter what you say, i cant force myself to talk to people i dont know.
    they scare the **** out of me to be perfectly honest.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Not being nasty, but how do you know anyone then? Thru friends? All you need is 1 in a class...

Was psychology crazily overcrowded at the beginning of the semester? I went to the first lecture in 1st year and then decided it wasn't for me. Theatre L was absolutely packed though, the steps were covered in people. If its anywhere near as popular now, you can be gauranteed that there will still be LOADS of people who don't know anyone there either, just waiting for someone to sit beside them and get a conversation going. The old universally agreed "this lecture is so boring..." never fails! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i'll be your friend arts bum. i found in the first year when the classes are so big you meet people in the smaller setup situations like the labs or tutorials and stuff. As kif says two months is nothing and ucd is very daunting at first i found and my biggest lecture in first science probably only had around 500 in it which i think is a lot less then the big arts ones.

like kif im still meeting new people as the course goes on or what usually happens is as people go different roots with different courses you end up talking to other people from you class and hanging out with them

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

as someone else said, tutorials and labs are a great way to meet people in your class, especially in huge subjects like psychology. you've also got two of the smaller subjects there with archaology and irish, which should make it a bit easier to get chatting to people. the irish department in particular is small, and relatively insular, which should also make meeting people a bit easier.

another thing is, get involved in a society. pick maybe one or two, and get really involved. it's not too late in the year to get involved. most of the societies, especially the smaller ones, always need helpers, for handing out flyers and putting up posters, which is probably about all they'll give you to do, as a first year. the advantage of this is you'll get to know the committees and you'll often be given a partner or a few people to go around with postering, who you'll get to know, and it'll go from there.....

on the other hand you could just be that person who tries to engage just about anyone in conversation

either that or stalk someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

3rd commerce here

ny others from bcomm or international here?

a bit lost amongst a sea of scientists here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

HOYVEN MAYVEN FLAYGIN GLAYVEN! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Avo

3rd Year elec eng, you see we do exist! Red alert and Michael Collins who are you, I might know you but I don't know that many 2nd years really.:cool:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

i'm peadar from 2nd elec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭callmescratch

ah UCD. you'll be my downfall.
    i'm off to start smoking again and have an overpriced coffee by the fake concrete lake and try to figure out why i'm not in the environmental economics exam i'm supposed to be in right now.

fu(k

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by callmescratch
    ah UCD. you'll be my downfall.
    i'm off to start smoking again and have an overpriced coffee by the fake concrete lake and try to figure out why i'm not in the environmental economics exam i'm supposed to be in right now.

fu(k
    Ah UCD indeed. Reminds me of me. In fairness though, I oly ever skipped one exam. And I did pass it in Autumn. :)

I'm back in UCD \o/. If anyone's bored, I'm now in Daedalus, 9-5, Monday-Friday, for all your computing needs (well, some of them anyway :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭DArcy

The steps up to the Daedalus building are uncomfortably shallow....

Maybe I have a large stride....

thread resurrected

well here we are again, funny looking a back at this thread and how late my exams started last year.

first exam on the 28th, then a gap until the 7th and then between the 10-14th they pack 4 in and then another gap til the last one happy days, the time table could be worse somehow....

anywho its the finals i shall be finished soon and will be a professional bum next year as i have no plans for post grad until the year after

data

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Originally posted by DArcy
    The steps up to the Daedalus building are uncomfortably shallow....

Maybe I have a large stride....

[OT]

Always thought that myself.
    If you ever read Napalm and Silly Putty by Geore Carlin I thinks he mentions that as one of life's peculiarities....

Like the way you pick up a suitcase and think its going to be really heavy but it's light. For a split second you think you're really strong!

the deadalus building dear god, i'm feeling quite an attraction to the new Dells and Win2k in there, but i've resigned myself to never being able to get a computer in there.

ah god bless the new dells with win2k in physics all is well

I'm in ET now and i've found a room full of them tucked away at the end of the building.

Maybe i'm getting to like the new Dells too much, maybe i need a life :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

im in 1st business and legal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

what u think of business and legal betsy? thinking of doing it next year

in general, which would be the best halls to end up in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i'm here.

Reading Philosophy, History, English.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

... outta here!

woo woo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Howdy - in the Conway Institute. 2nd year PHD.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭m4cker

First science for me

• Registered Users Posts: 31 bahairy

me, first medicine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

first arts (english history and psychology)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Originally posted by valor
    what u think of business and legal besty? thinking of doing it next year

in general, which would be the best halls to end up in?

its pretty good.8 subjects though so its tough going.things like accounting and some of the other business subjects are a pain in the ass, other than that it is enjoyable tho.i much prefer the law side of it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Sarn

Post-doc, 10 years here and counting. Dear God.

My how the buildings have grown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

What you doing your post-Doc in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

just finished BSc in computers, but don't worry, I am not too late for this thread. Going back for Phd-ification in September.

I think I know thedrowner vaguely. Your Pams mate, Pam who is marrying the guy with the guns and starting postgrad Vet.med? Yeah, I've met you a time or two in Conway. Haha, you are in know your nerds!

know uberwolf from compooters as well. But he knows me so that's no fun.

Three more years to weed out some more of you lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 bunnicans

1st business and legal! absolutely love ucd!!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by rob1891

I think I know thedrowner vaguely. Your Pams mate, Pam who is marrying the guy with the guns and starting postgrad Vet.med? Yeah, I've met you a time or two in Conway. Haha, you are in know your nerds!

funky i know the drowner also and i also know pam who is getting married vaguely

i am finished in ucd now, whootage, though i maybe back in september year for post grad

Advertisement