Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few questions

Options
  • 04-05-2003 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

Just a few questions.

1. I have an English telephone socket installed since back in the early years the modem I had would only function with said socket. I never bothered replacing it. I'm going for the ESAT package (whenever it comes out that is) will there be a problem with installing the splitter as a consequence?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

not sure

i think i heard somewhere that the brits have different size sockets for net but i could be totaly wrong

wait for someone who knows :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

5 euro converter those the job my friend!
    no technical difference, just connection jack is long white thing on english phones and english sockets

small little jack here in ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 furlong

The adaptor provides a ring capicitor.

If you have a british master socket thiss also has a ring capacitor.

Most newer modems dont care about ring capacitors.

AFAIK the ring capacitor isnt an issue for the splitter but if the splitter has an Irish telephone plug (RJ11) then it won't fit into your British socket.

However the splitter may have a british plug and an adaptor to Irish, in which case dont use the adaptor.

Do you have only an English socket? If so I would get Eircom to supply and fit an Irish one, you can always claim that it was there when you moved in;) As I understand it they have an obligation to provide you with a standard interface i.e. an Irish socket.

HTH
    please post again if it isn't clear

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by GUI_XP
    5 euro converter those the job my friend!
    no technical difference, just connection jack is long white thing on english phones and english sockets

small little jack here in ireland

Yeah RJ11 connection same as most of the rest of the world, but of course the UK has to be different....
    :D

Advertisement