Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there such a thing as too much RAM?

• 04-05-2003 6:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

hiho,

Ive 512 PC3200 DDR ram. Although when you think about it, its not that much. Im just wondering say if i got an extra gb would it make a dramatic increase? I mean my pc is real fast as it is which is why im asking is there such a thing as too much RAM?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

If you are using windows 2000 or XP you can see how much memory you are using of your 512 using task manager (press ctrl alt del to get it) if you are using anywhere near the 512 get more RAM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

Originally posted by 50Cent
    Ive 512 PC3200 DDR ram. Although when you think about it, its not that much. Im just wondering say if i got an extra gb would it make a dramatic increase? I mean my pc is real fast as it is which is why im asking is there such a thing as too much RAM?

would you not get a hobby or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭Silent Bob

is there such a thing as too much RAM?

Yes.

On a 32-bit computer anything over 4GB is a waste of money :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

well 1st of all it depends on weather if you need it or not. Obviously if you are not using the full 512, or maybe a little over, its a waste of time.

Also, it depends on your OS and Mobo. Some mobo's will handle a certain amount of RAM but will not successfully cache it. Basicallay it will cause a performance degradation.

Windows 98 has issues with anything more than 512mb, and generally its not reccomeded to go over that.

what are you using the PC for generally?

TBH my gut feeling is that you are wasting your money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭50Cent

would you not get a hobby or something

Ask your mom...she owes me change as well. Tell her that before i bitch slap her from here to Zimababwe and then you for being cheeky.

I have many hobbies. This is a technology forum and i have a technology related question. Id prefer if you stayed quiet.

No i was just wondering. I noticed i was playing Generals the other day and it was slowing up a tad bit when i had kazaa lite running in the background downloading music. It was just that particular level...so i presume since the game is running on a crack, it must be that cos ive never had a problem running anything else...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Ask your mom...she owes me change as well. Tell her that before i bitch slap her from here to Zimababwe and then you for being cheeky.

...i had kazaa lite running in the background downloading music.

...so i presume since the game is running on a crack

Abuse, mp3's and warez all in the one post... You trying to get yerself banned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

i wouldnt assume that memory is the bottleneck, use task manager in XP and 2k or sysmon (command prompt) with 98 to see how much ram is being eaten up.

It will give you a graph, so if you shut the game down, or alt+tab to the monitor you can see how much memory is being swollowed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Lorax had a point. If your computer is "real fast", then I'm pretty sure you aren't running out of ram. Ordinary desktop use, without using any very memory hungry apps ( like 3d rendering, video editing, multiple development tools ), will never use the full 512mb of ram. If your machine was running out of ram, you would see the hard drive light on a fair bit when you were on that level, check if that is the case, and check task manager and we may be able to help you.

Right. Thanks anyway. I wasnt going to buy a gb anyway...i was just bored and curious...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

lol, well if ye have the money like :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Well there are certain cases where you might want to get a gig of ram. For instance playing doom3 alpha smoothly, (it has just over 1 gig swap file) and if you do a lot of 3d rendering, studio max, or maybe a lot of large photoshop work. Also I've heard of some people switching off virtual swap file with 1 gig of memory :)

If you have the money go for it, my next computer will definitely have a gig of memory and at the prices ram are at now what serious gamer wouldn't?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

now that were on the subject of memory and mobo's, I'm thinking of chucking my 384MB of SDRAM and my intel motherboard in favour of an upgrade to a mobo that will support DDR RAM. I have a 2hz p4 and I'm looking to put at least 512mb ddr into the new mobo. Can anyone suggest a decent but not overly expensive board?

I would like to fully recommend the msi 648 max through personal experience. It has AGP 8X, USB 2.0(6 of em!!!), ATA 133 and the new one supports HT(hyper threading), i dont see how you can go wrong!!!

But if i could have it my way, i would have a few pc's. I would love to build an Athlon system and test out that new nforce graphics board just for curiosity...sure everyone knows by now that P4 is faster than Athlon(stepping on toes ;) )

Advertisement