Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unused Accounts

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Originally posted by ecksor
    This is getting tedious.
    I agree

We know what the point is behind the thread. We're offering reasons we won't do it. (which isn't the same as can't do it, we all work with databases here, and DeVore is probably old enough to make one of those comments like "I was managing databases when you were in nappies" because he's very old).
    I'm old aswell. The comments were not necessarily for Your's/Devore's benefit. Some were actually made in jest. They were more for the benefit of those who do not work with RDBMS and my points were "it can be done" and to clear up mis-conceptions like old users suddendly becoming Anon. It's up to you guys to say you won't/will do it. OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

OK. Thanks for your tremendous input there Hobart I'm sure the community shall rejoice at your continued technical expertise so we can make sure those nasty admins aren't ****ing us over with their free and excellent service.

Originally posted by Thorbar
    OK. Thanks for your tremendous input there Hobart I'm sure the community shall rejoice at your continued technical expertise so we can make sure those nasty admins aren't ****ing us over with their free and excellent service.
    I think you have already been spanked for being a little child. So stop flaming and go away.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

That was a misunderstanding regarding a mistake that puck made on another thread and the way that goto=lastpost can do surprising things if an admin (me in that particular instance) comes along and gets rid of a spammer.

I know what it was about. I just cannot understand the Guy posting what he did. No need for the tone or the content, or his rudeness. No matter what the reason for the 'misunderstanding' in the thread I linked to he did overreact (by his own admission). By reading his previous post, in this thread, overreaction seems to be a trait of his. Anyhow, this thread has decended into absoloute nothingness and I suggest that it be locked deleted whatever.

• Advertisement

He was rude, but he said what I was thinking, so I find it hard to fault him.

Also, you don't get to complain about the thread descending into rubbish when you've been beating the same dead horse for most of it.

If you want to drag up old threads, then this one is as good as any.

I'll leave it open so that people can continue to make suggestions on this subject. Please don't make points about the difference between usernames and login details or the intricacies of client/server database systems. They're not actually relevant here. We will answer honestly about whether something is possible or not, or whether it is too much trouble, or whether we just don't want to do it.

He was rude, but he said what I was thinking, so I find it hard to fault him.

Also, you don't get to complain about the thread descending into rubbish when you've been beating the same dead horse for most of it.

If you want to drag up old threads, then this one is as good as any.

I'll leave it open so that people can continue to make suggestions on this subject. Please don't make points about the difference between usernames and login details or the intricacies of client/server database systems. They're not actually relevant here. We will answer honestly about whether something is possible or not, or whether it is too much trouble, or whether we just don't want to do it.
    I know he was being rude that's why I said it. If I have been beating a dead horse well then you have been right beside me with it. And eh.. I did not question your, or any other admins honesty, so thanks for being honest. I was merely responding to what you were/were not saying. Again no need for yours or his rudeness.

Ok, here's the deal. We get back to the original discussion about the pros and cons of expiring old usernames and alternative ways of doing this, we stop clouding the issue with technical details, stop getting into bitch fights and I'll be polite.

Ok, here's the deal. We get back to the original discussion about the pros and cons of expiring old usernames and alternative ways of doing this, we stop clouding the issue with technical details, stop getting into bitch fights and I'll be polite.
    Fair enuf. And b4 I jump straight back in with both feet and start p***ing somebody else off: Is it something, if a fairly simple solution was found, that you or the admins would find beneficial? Is it somethjing you guys want to explore? For my part, and using Buffybot as an example, it is something that I think should be, maybe offered, as a part of the supporters pack. I'm not suggesting that those who do not subscribe to the supporters pack should have thier nic's under threat. Just that if, again as Buffybot said, the nic was not used for x number of months/years it would be nice if he/she became a supporter that this could possibly be used as some sort of incentive?? While keeping the integrity of the original information as good as could be possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement