Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you believe that Internet users will really have a fair deal by the end of JUNE

Options
  • 04-05-2003 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

Is it reasonable to expect that we will really see a {large} change for the better in Flat-rate 24/7 FRIACO and BROADBAND offerings as and from June 2003 ?..

Paddy20:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

From June 1st, all current UTVip users will have FRIACO access for what they're currently paying for the 150hrs package. That's €30 per month.

Not perfect, but it's a fair deal nonetheless. Hopefully they'll have a similarly fair RADSL offer by then too. Otherwise the FRIACO package won't matter a damn as I'll be off to Esat/Netsource to get DSL. And my phone calls will be going to Esat if I get their DSL or back to Eircom if I get Netsource as I do NOT want 3 seperate bills for Line Rental, Voice Calls, DSL. Two bills is bad enough.

C'moooon UTV :\

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

erm what's FRIACO sry i'm kinda a newbie when it comes to abbreviations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

It`s basicaly an anagram of for Flat Rate Internet access

Yo! Moderators.. How about a sticky called "Glossary" so all readers can checkout all these abbriviations!? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

as i said before id be happy with a 20-35 euro adsl with no connection fee and 24:1 ratio 10 gig + cap

flat rate is fair a nuff at 30 euro (though it was 15-20) but i can see people abuseing the system again

as far as i see its getting better and better month after month lets keep up the pressure but we are getting places :D

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

Problem here is that if it is €30 for flat rate that leaves ISDN users who are not connected to a DSL enabled exchange in a bad position. DSL is €45 for 512K, and if you want to use both ISDN channels it will cost you more than that. I've asked UTVip about providing support for ISDN under the flat rate scheme but so far there has been no response.

M.

• Advertisement

They support single-channel now don't they? Problem with supporting dual-channel is that THEY will be charged for both calls, so they aren't gonna do it (and rightly so) under the current pricing structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

so if I upgrade to ISDN I'll still be able to use it (single channel only) when UTV goes FRIACO? Just want to get all the stupid questions sorted out before I think of giving eircom any more of my money for isdn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Originally posted by BoneCollector
    It`s basicaly an anagram of for Flat Rate Internet access

Yo! Moderators.. How about a sticky called "Glossary" so all readers can checkout all these abbriviations!? :cool:

I agree, it would ease allot of headaches. Maybe another one for dispelling myths :)

===

Its looking like if you can get the likes of RADSL you should take it.

It will cost €30 per month and if you have 56k, speed is still dismal. If your on ISDN, you have to pay an extra €19 for it so the price is €49 really but the speed is 64k but effectively is twice as fast as 56k.

But if you consider RADSL for the 50-60 price range, it looks allot more attractive, at least 256k and some of the advantages of ISDN, mainly you can call while surfing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Originally posted by bizmark
    as i said before id be happy with a 20-35 euro adsl with no connection fee and 24:1 ratio 10 gig + cap

flat rate is fair a nuff at 30 euro (though it was 15-20) but i can see people abuseing the system again

as far as i see its getting better and better month after month lets keep up the pressure but we are getting places :D

Why 24:1? Do you have evidence to suggest 50:1 is a problem? As I posted in another thread, 50:1 appears to be the standard for a domestic ADSL service.

I agree with you about the cap, although I don't personally think I'll get anywhere near 4Gig.

24:1 just seems fairer all round im paying good money for fast speed not 7kbs lol

althought to be fair cutting the numbers on the line by half wouldnt make a great difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

i don't think VERY VERY few people here understand what a contention is. I'm not going to explain it like it has been done SO MANY times.

It is an oversubscription. I might work up the heart to write a full description one of these days. But maybe the Mods will put it in a glossary as a sticky!

lazy git :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Sorry i'm not as active as i once was, where is the thread where utv say they will offer friaco for 30 euro from june 1st

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I haven't described what it is for a while, so here goes. I am assuming that whoever reads this already knows what basic terms mean.

In brief, connectivity costs money. Therefore in order to save money, telecom companies have a "contention rate". This means that they might buy 50mbps of connectivity, but in the case of Eircom's basic ADSL service sell 1200mbps (this is a contention rate of 1 to 48... they're selling 48 times more than they have!). It means overselling. The reason it works is that not everyone will be using 100% of their connection at the same time.

Originally posted by Boston
    where is the thread where utv say they will offer friaco for 30 euro from june 1st

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=87118

First post on that thread, 3rd paragraph from the bottom.

Advertisement