Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Web Server to download for CGI??

Options
  • 04-05-2003 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭

Any ideas?? ive apache tomcat but that is only for java(i think!) and ive downloaded apache web server but that wont run properly! so has any1 any ideas of a web server that i can mess around with my CGI files???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Silent Bob

More info would be helpful... (ie OS etc.)

Apache should really be your only man. Jakarta Tomcat is for Java Servlets and JSPs.

It's been about 2 years since I last configured an Apache http server but I'm fairly certain that CGI support was built in by default.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I would say Apache although Internet Information Services can be configured to run perl.

http://perl.apache.org/docs/index.html should help you get you config right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'd have to agree that Apache is probably your best bet (I'd run it on Linux/BSD but it works on windows too). It's the best HTTP server and the most popular.

When you say Apache won't run properly what exactly do you mean? More than likely, all you'll have to do is change a few settings in the httpd.conf.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

Ive XP on my pc - crap!!! and ive tried to install apache on my pc a couple of times but it wont work! i have tomcat on my pc, and that works grand but there is no cgi bin in tomcat!! an error comes up each time sayin that a file was not installed correctly!! ive downloaded the file a couple of times and installed but it wont work - may have somethin to do wit XP maybe???

I have another pc with linux but i havent really tried exploring linux! what way could you do it on that????

and installed but it wont work

Be helpful with your error messages, people on these boards aren't psychic :)

Is it failing at the install phase or afterwards? If it fails at the install stage than there probably is an error message, if it's failing when you try to run it then information will be in the logs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

It says that it cant find the file specified - No installed service named "Apache2"

thats it!!! Sorry if im bein a bit sketchy but i dont have a clue bout it!!!

¿Did you install it as Administrator?

This would also be a good place to read, lots of info, including setting up services etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

When you install Apache on Windows you have to register it as a service for tomcat this used to be a file called jakarta.dll (me thinks), so I'd imagine Apache has something similar.

Register the dll as a service (check you documentation on how to do this) then start the service either from the command prompt or from a managment console.

Of course its been nearly 2 years since I've done this so I could be wrong but it should set you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If it's for offline development you could try here

Advertisement