Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Belgariad

Options
  • 05-05-2003 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭

i just started reading The Belgariad series by David Eddings , i've read the first 3 so far an i think its brilliant i hadn't heard of it before...

does anyone know if the Malloreon(sp) series is anygood? (its a sequel series kind of isnt it?)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭xx

Malloreon is ok, not as good as the belgariad though. Has a few cool new characters all the same. They are a bit lightweight though, if you want cool David Eddings books, read the Elenium and the Tamuli. They=awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

It's probably 12-13 years since I read the Belgariad - really enjoyed it at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

There are a couple of prequels to the series also that you should not read until after you have read the series. (If you know what I mean)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

david eddings... he isn't a great writer, but his books are enjoyable all the same. each of his series is pretty much the same, just different characters and locatoins. i'd reccomend reading them, and I hve em all here anyway. it's nothing amazing but it's a fun way to pass an evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

i read the Redemption of Althalus a while back and it seems pretty similarly done to the Belgariad... like alot of very similar characters

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

The Belgariad & Malloreon series are ,imho, brilliant and I'v re-read them on numerous occassions over the years . The prequels are good too but as Thanx 4 The Fish said, best finish the first 10 books before reading Belgarath or Polgara. The Elenium and Tamuli are worth a look too but I thought the Redemption of Althalus was dire (horses for courses I suppose).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I agree that redemption of althalus was complete tat. I reckon that was one of their worst books ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

Eddings is one of the most "cut and paste" authors ever, all his stories/characters are similar,

Its probably due to the sheer volume of stuff hes written, like gemmel he recycles themes ad even whole chunks of text.

but they make for an easy relaxing read when you aren't in the mood for anything heavy.
    Long time since i read any of his stuff tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

I remember when i first picked up the belgariad i hadnt read a lot of fantasy before (was 12/13 or something like that). The first book completely hooked me and i couldnt get enough of the series. The Mallorean was more of the same but thats what i was looking for. The Elenium and the Tamuli series were even better.

Ive since moved onto much more 'advanced' fantasy (Steven Erikson - Fall of the Malazan series anyone?) but I have a soft spot for good old David Eddings.

I think for someone just starting to read fantasy, its a great place to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Seeker

The first fantasy series I ever read was the Belgariad. And the first time you read it , especially if you've never read any fantasy before , its really great. The world is fantastic and the characters are initially really likeable.

Some of the things in it though make you cringe. The "baddies" all seem to be stupid however. The Arend race in the series are all genetically fated to be stupid. And at times the whole thing is just the cheesiest thing you've ever read. I mean , i know Barak likes ale but the other characters like Polgara musing on it was amusing the first time , but not the following 50 times. And the word 'grin'. After reading and re-reading this series several times , I swore that if I ever wrote a fantasy novel I would NEVAR-EVAR , use the word grin as it is used about 5 times in every page of Eddings book's.

Although I didnt feel this way the first time I read it , the Mallorean contradicts alot of the main story points of the Belgariad with regard to the prophecy and so on. Also there was a huge opportunity to develop Garions character in the Mallorean that was missed - he could have been a real cool fantasy badass. becasue of the success of the Belgariad , Garion was put into the same role in the Mallorean - following his 'Aunt pol' and 'Mister Wolf' around. Despite the fact he's the king of a country and has a nickname that portrays him as being a super power , the author tries to be humourous by saying he cant tie his own shoe-laces together. The kings in the mallorean continent speak in awe of him , but we know he's still a country bumpkin following his aunt around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

She said archly. She said ****ing archly.

If I never have to read those ****ing words again it'll be too soon. The Belgariad is pulp trash, enjoyable when you're in your early teens but how anyone maintains an affection for it after that I'll never know.

The Mallorean is the same book with some of the chairs moved around and I ****ing bought it! When I had no money! It's rubbish rubbish rubbish.

The Elenium is also pulp trash though marginally worse. Then the Tamuli is the same book again except he didn't even bother moving the furniture he's just standing there flicking the light switch on and off shouting "Different room! Different room!"

Don't give this ****ing imbecile any of your money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

lol lol lol

cant say i agree with you but you made me laugh and scare the cat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Fence

Eddings is harmless fun. nothing more, nothing less. His books were among the first fantasy I read, so I prolly do have a soft spot for them, especially the Elenium & Tamuli, but he is not a great writer by any stretch of the imagination :)

If you are looking for original fantasy I'd recommend Mary Gentle's Ash: A Secret history. Or for more urban stuff China Mievielle (sp?) is v interesting. Most people seem to worship his Perdido Street Station, but I found King Rat much more entertaining. prolly just coz I enjoyed the character more.

Cya
    Fence

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Eddings is great.. No Tolkien but great all the same!! I would put him there with Terry brooks.. great fun, good stories.. a lot of it is repeated however but still a great read.

Redemption of Althalus i liked a lot for some reason. 2 of the best books were the prequals though.. Belgarath and Polgara (2 seperate books). Excellent stuff.

Anyway he got me through 2 weeks in hospital last year. I read an eddings a day to keep the doctor away :D (litterally one book a day).

Advertisement