Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

No Insurance, No numberplate, No tax.......and getting away with it?

Options
  • 05-05-2003 2:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Is it possible to have a car with the name of your niteclub as the numberplate and drive it around a town? There is such a person doing it in my town. I phoned the gardí about it they said "its a promotinal car, its ok" The car is the prize of a compition. Is it possible for anybody to do the same? Are the gardí wrong or right here, or do they not know what to do? As its so expensive for insurance now, could i do the same? Get away with paying nothing?!?:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 hackfish

You look Gelouse....

Life the people life in peace... and stop calling the Gardi just because you feel angry about your sad life....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Are personalised plates legal in ireland?

I've seen cars with fany numberplate writing are these illegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

afaik the only LEGAL plates in ireland are the euro ones with the blue border and stars on the left and the normal number format on the plain bold text. No fancy fonts, no different colour fonts or backgrounds. I think that even a promotional car must carry atleast a grage plate or something, and it must have some form of insurance, he might have some form of agreement with the gardai reagrding the use of the car.

The only other exception is vinatge cards which can maintain the old type of plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Hey RG59, would this car happen to be an Audi TT belonging to those Zoo club guys in Kilkenny?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

You need some kind of insurance to drive anywhere on the road. If the guys driving it have open insurance on their own policies they'd be insured to drive it. You could always step out in front of it and see!

Some kind of proper number plate is also required. Not sure about the tax issue - perhaps a garage plate would cover the tax? (as with test driving a new car)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 RG59

There is no garage plate, ive checked. There is an english tax disc on it tho.
    Im not gealouse Hackfish, i just dont think its fair if a person can drive a car that way and get away with it. People driving with no insurance are one of the reasons for high insurance costs for other people.

The car isint a TT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If the car has UK disk and a personalised plate then it must be a vistor or at least not yet resident, I think you have six months to "naturalise" your car if you're comming from abroad. That said you still need insurance of course but maybe if he has a disk it just was'nt visible....?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I think the burning issue here is what "gealouse" means!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

yes, what the hell is all that about, another in joke?

There is a chrysler voyager in UL with the number plate "VOYAGER" it's been there for 3 or four years now, it's owned by a staff member (or else it was clamped in a staff car park and abandoned after the clamping, maybe as a protest.....

maybe....

no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 hackfish

lol :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by eth0_
    I think the burning issue here is what "gealouse" means!
    I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say "jealous"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

If the car has a UK tax disc therefore it most likely has a UK registration plate.

In the UK, people can buy (or transfer from another vehicle)personalised/cherished plates to display on their cars. They often have the plates remade to make them look like a word or name (which is actually illegal).

For example, last week I saw the UK reg BI6 KEV (on a Toyota jeep) on the Naas Road, which had been altered to read BIG KEV (i.e. big Kevin).

What does the reg number you saw say/spell, RG59 ?

Silvera.

Advertisement