Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netsource

Options
  • 05-05-2003 4:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

hi.

rite. eircom and esat are both available where i live (castleknock, but on the blanch exchange afaik).

its 50 pm with a 5gig limit or 55pm with a 4gig limit.

ok. so esat was what i was going for.

then i saw www.netsource.ie

surely too good to be true? same as eircoms offering but with NO download limit?

is this service any good? and are the pings good for gaming.

please only give informed answers.. i dont want any anti-eircom stuff or anything as i got enough of that myself ;p

also.. i assume i can get netsource seen as they buy off eircom :S

thanks. i know this has been covered at least once here b4. but they all seem to go off topic etc..

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

well

netsources i have seen pings on here (but only one) of 30ms
    fecking good ...........but if and when (as it will happen) netsoures get a good few people on the line (remember its like 48:1) your ping will suffer as most heavy d/lers will go with the no cap they also have interleave on (turned down to 19ms)

as far as i know esat doesnt have interleaveing on (better ping) their other adsl offering is getting good pings (30-40 ms cant remember)
    and with no cap that means no heavy d/l so better pings in the long term (maybe) and 90 euro installed with a modem suppled and over 15 euro cheaper

so it depends what you want it for im going for esat as im a gamer and dont give a toss about d/ling

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Originally posted by themonkeekiller
    www.netsource.ie

surely too good to be true? same as eircoms offering but with NO download limit?

Don't forget their compulsory domain charge at €10pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭CutterIE

10 euro's extra for an uncapped service - A bargain!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Nitrox

Hopefully the domain demand will be found to be illegal since it has no technical value to the product they are offering, so they are forcing you to buy an extra product which very very few has any use for!
    Com On netsource, make us happy and we will be sure to throw a lot of money your way, but not for something this useless..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 themonkeekiller

ok. so 10 euro extra for a domain is compulsary. well, thats not bad imo.

its 15 more than esat for unlimited downloads.. thats kick ass if you ask me.

and when playing online games the download cap would be used up pretty quick on esat.. and thered be no bw left for downloading patches. ... and then definitly none left for movies (legal) and music (legal) :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Originally posted by Nitrox
    Hopefully the domain demand will be found to be illegal since it has no technical value to the product they are offering, so they are forcing you to buy an extra product which very very few has any use for!
    Com On netsource, make us happy and we will be sure to throw a lot of money your way, but not for something this useless..

Who will find it "illegal"? Comreg don't have anything to do with Esat/VIA/UTV, they only regulate eircom. So thats a no hoper/brainer IMO.

Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Who will find it "illegal"? Comreg don't have anything to do with Esat/VIA/UTV, they only regulate eircom.

all of the named companys above are in the telecommunications
    biz and are surely under the regulatory control of comreg.

No, the only person/body that is regulated is Eircom as they own the last mile. This is also the reason for Esat being able to force a modem on their ADSL customers.

Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

wow, thats a good one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

I agree with clover here, I would have thought ComReg regulate Esat and all too? So does anybody have a say in what Esat or Netsource etc do?

Yeh I'd watch out for the 48:1 contention ratio with Netsource too. With no cap that could seriously affect the service. Esat might be the better option if you don't download much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭CutterIE

I'd guess for the first few months people will download quite a lot and the bandwidth will suffer, but after awhile it should ease off a bit, after being starved of a decent internet connection for so lond it's to be expected.

Cheers
    Will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Nitrox

Originally posted by Michael Collins
    I agree with clover here, I would have thought ComReg regulate Esat and all too? So does anybody have a say in what Esat or Netsource etc do?

Yeh I'd watch out for the 48:1 contention ratio with Netsource too. With no cap that could seriously affect the service. Esat might be the better option if you don't download much.

Lets put a bit of faith on the EU anti monopoly regulations here, because i surely have no faith in anything Ireland has to offer !!
    What i say is that Forcing a second product onto a customer which serves no technical value to the product bought is generally considdered bad business moral and illegal in most EU countries and the US, might be wrong though......
    Example: You go out and buy a new car and the dealer say you can only buy it at the price listed if you also agree to take the most expensive car radio he has in his shop. You can choose to take it witout the radio but then the price of the radio will be added.
    What Netsource is doing is even worse since you have to pay this redicules high price for a .ie domain each and every month, Crazy is you ask me!!

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

I think that Comreg do cover esat etc.

I know that they do issue the lisences for wireless broadband so Leap, IBB & Irishwisp etc. come under comreg's remit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I thought comreg covers every thing! Even us if we start transmitting stuff!

The only person regulated as regard broadband and FRIACO is Eircom, if you ring ComReg and bitch and moan about X forcing you to buy this and Y forcing you to buy that they will tell you as they told me they don't regulate them. I'm positive they are covered for some things as it would be mad otherwise, the point I made was that for ADSL Eircom are the ones being ruled with an Iron fist.

Paul

themonkeekiller

just for the record along time user of this board (cant remmeber his name) says online games do not mess with your cap and in my humble view i consider takeing a film/song etc wrong...........would you go into hmv and take a cd ? i bet you wouldnt

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by bizmark
    themonkeekiller

just for the record along time user of this board (cant remmeber his name) says online games do not mess with your cap

Not true, many newer games use lots of bandwidth, plus it is only going to increase in the future. As most of the games developers target audience (gamers in the US, Japan and the rest of Europe) have broadband, many of the latest games are being developed with the capabilites of bb in mind. The days of games over 56k are numbered.

and in my humble view i consider takeing a film/song etc wrong...........would you go into hmv and take a cd ? i bet you wouldnt

Rubish, themonkeekiller specifically said LEGAL music and video downloads. Why do people always jump to the conclusion that if you are downloading video or music, that it must be illegal, you have been brainwashed by the RIAA.

Many small and independent artist (but video and music) release their work for free on the internet to get exposure, or just because they want as wide an audience as possible to experience their creations.

Or what about Apple Computers perfectly legal (and supported by the record companies) pay music download service (99c per track), or the Matrix film producers putting cool matrix animated films up on their website, or the CNN web streaming news service or the tens of thousands of other, perfectly legal audio and video services on the web.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Originally posted by bk

Rubish, themonkeekiller specifically said LEGAL music and video downloads. Why do people always jump to the conclusion that if you are downloading video or music, that it must be illegal, you have been brainwashed by the RIAA.

Cos it's most realistic conclusion to make, when was the last time you downloaded video/music legally or anyone for that matter? People have gotten so used to downloading stuff for free, that they aren't going to pay when they slap a tariff/subscription to the content. They're going to use that little bit of grey matter between their ears to look for it elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Is it possible for any thread these days to stay on topic? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Back on topic, it's pretty much all eircom anyway...

Netsource resell eircoms RADSL 512/128 product.
    2 month contract, No Cap, Fixed IP, and 48:1 Contention ratio

Esat resell eircoms RADSL 512/128 product.
    5Mb Cap - charged at 3c MB over this, 12 mnth contract, Dynamic IP, 48:1 contention ration.

Eircom sell RADSL 512/128
    4Gb cap (3.6c/MB - I think - over this) 12 month contract, Dynamic IP, 48:1

Spot the pattern? - it's all eircom RADSL.

Netsource asked for interleaving off, got told no problem by eircom then got told big problem! Interleaving is now turned down. Bizmark - whoever told you interleaving was off ...
    as far as i know esat doesnt have interleaveing on (better ping) their other adsl offering is getting good pings (30-40 ms cant remember)

on Esat's 512 Residential product (ie eircom) is talking **** - interleaving is turned down on a global basis by eircom and this is what Esat are selling. I suspect, but do not know, that interleaving is not turned off on the business product (the 512/128 @ 90euro a month job) either.

Comreg do NOT regulate Netsource or ESAT.

• Advertisement

ah toss it

oh well ill fall back on the fact that the installing charges are a hell of a lot lower + i still dont think most games use much cap as all the game has to do is tell 4-16 other computers what its doing and ask what their doing doesnt have to send or get large files such as images etc

so i think im safe

(please god someone back me up on that)

What kind of hell of a lot lower...??? 9 euro? 25 euro more!!!

Esat charge 90 self install compared to 99 eircom and 99 netsource self-install.

Esat charge 190 engineer install compared to 199 eircom and 165 !! netsource engineer install.

Bizmark, it would be nice if you posted 'a fact' once in a while!

esat are 90 with a modem
    netsourse need you to buy one

modem= 79 euro +

79 = a hell of a lot

You got to ask yourself if it is worth getting what somebody else is giving away!! Or lending you in the case of Esat as they will ask for it back eventually....

btw...if you are that strapped click
    here for a $1 modem!:D

its not that simple
    i have no interest in d/l movies etc so a cap isnt a problum
    as long as the new games dont eat up cap (which i bleave they wont) i just dont see the point of paying 140 euro for a good modem and 15 euro extra a month for a cap i dont need

plus i like esat (god forbid)

Fine, it's a free-ish kind of world.

Can I gently suggest ...Just maybe... try checking a few facts before you post (another use for the web as well as counterstrike) :D

facts no point i have people like you to point out when im wrong hehehe

course in counterstrike if your wrong you get a bullet to the head makes you learn faster i find :D

bang...

gun_ani.gif

lol where off topic again :D:D

and stop shooting me its against the law ya know lol

• Advertisement

OT again, too true! I think it's the waiting that does it....

Advertisement