Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a Vespa in Dublin....?

Options
  • 05-05-2003 9:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Any suggestion if this is a good idea?
    How much should I cost?
    Any good place to buy one?

THANKS!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

In Dublin traffic it is a good idea, as you can get around the city alot faster.. If you don't have much driving / riding experience, I would suggest a lesson or two (e.g. with the Irish Rider training association) before you launch yourself into the Dublin traffic...

Remeber to take insurance costs into account, as this will make up a large part of the cost you will incur..

There are a large number of shops that sell these..
    Couple of suggestions:
    BikeWorld in Tallaght
    The scooter shop (beside Virgin Megastore)
    The bike shop in the Coombe (can't remember what it's called)...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Hackfish I'm thinking of selling my Vespa ET2 if you're interested? I bought it brand new from Scooterstore in June 2001 and it's in absolutely mint condition with full service history and lots of expensive extras. Mileage is also very low.

PM me if you're interested and I can send you some pics ... :)

Btw the reason I'm considering selling is because I now have a car and I rarely use the scooter anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

You can use the Hibernian Direct web site for a quote if you have model numbers. Only other place to get insurance is from Carol Nash and AFAIK they don't insure riders under 25 or bikes under 250

Other person recommended Irish Rider Training I'd concur. The guys in IRTA also do the assessments for the Ignition program run by Hibernian. This is a programme to encourage better driving habits and skills. They will also give you a discount on your premium if you meet their criteria. Only open to full licence holders.

I'm only a recent convert to motorbikes. Had been a cyclist for a couple of years doing about 20 miles a day. Getting old and the bones starting to creak were reasons for motorised 2 wheels. and it's great :) Hardly use the car now just for times when bike is not practical.

One piece of advice I'd give: go out and sit on a few bikes. Vespa might appeal to you looks wise but may not be the best fit or most comfortable for you. So go out and sit on a few scooters in the shops. You can get away with minimal expense on gear, but waterproofs are essential all year round. Remember August in actually one of the wettest months with short heavy spells. Padded jacket and trousers might be desirable but not essential at city speeds. Good waterproof shoes or boots are advisable. And you should get a discount on all these purchased together. If you're not offered one, ask for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

There's an artical on the front page of the indo today
    www.independent.ie about new laws coming in this July with regard to riding a scooter. It might mean you're not insurable depending on your age, licence etc.. Have a read before you buy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 hackfish

Thanks guys. I was looking the other day to different Motorbikes... Piaggio, Vespa, and other italian brands...
    my budget is not so small.... and I want to buy something good... is it worth it to move from 50cc to 100cc or 125 cc....

I was thinking about this bike....
    any ideas or suggestion...
    I need the bike to move around with my girlfriend... I'm also a little bit nervouse about the crazy dublin traffic, i don't want to die Crash by a Beatifull Dublin Bus.... :o

What do you think of this bike.

APRILIA SCARABEO 125
    http://www.apriliascarabeo.com/eng/scargt-1.htm

Another question... is worth it to buy a New or a Second Hand one?

Thanks for the info...

* Giles I wil send a PM

• Advertisement
Advertisement