Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL Splitter Question

Options
  • 05-05-2003 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭

Hi all.

Just wondering bout something (if this is a spectacurly stupid question, appologies :-) )

BTW line hasn't been activated yet
    Tis my understanding that the splitter filters out the voice frequency from Eircom's line, leaving the DSL port on the splitter free for the DSL.
    However on my splitter, if I plug a phone into the DSL port I can still dial out.? This normal?
    I would of thought I would not be able to use the dsl port for voice calls since the splitter should be filtering them ? even thought the DSL is not activated yet?

Hmmm

Cheers

S.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

im a spliiter does as it says on the tin

just allows you to use your phone and adsl at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Originally posted by bizmark
    im a spliiter does as it says on the tin

just allows you to use your phone and adsl at the same time

I don't know what kind of 'splitter' you are referring to...

But if you mean the microfilter that you use where you plug in your telephone... that microfilter filters out the freguencies from the phone call connection that might/will interfer with the DSL signals.

"A micro-filter is designed to plug into your phone socket (similar to a standard splitter used to connect multiple telephones). Its purpose is to separate voice from data and must be connected to each phone socket in your house. If you do not have a telephone, or any device which uses the phone line, a micro-filter isn't required. Most ISPs and retailers sell micro filters."

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/guide/summary.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭shurl

Yeah sorry, Microfilter.

Just re-read my post, not very clear...Apologies.

My question was, should I be able to use the DSL port on the microfilter for voice.? Should the filter not filter out the voice frequencies from the DSL port?

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

I'm currently using ADSL without a microfilter. Which works fine.

I have the phone in a socket in one room & the computer in another socket in another room.

I've read piligers quote from adslguide.org, but I'm still a little confused (quite normal for me :) )

To use phone & internet at the same time, apart from running from room to room ;) , do I need to :

a) install a microfilter where the phone is,
    b) install a microfilter where the 'pooter is or,
    c) get 2 mircofilters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭DSLinAbsentia

The recommendations are to limit the number of splitters. I guess two would be okay. You should be able to buy them from Eircom stores soon enough (I'd imagine), but you can also order them from www.excelus-tech.com (Eircom use mode 230T). They're about 7 euro.

You only need the splitter if you're using both inet and phone at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭p2p

Forgive my ignorance but there seems to be 2 opposing view here..

I have 5 phone connection/extensions in my house,
    as far as i know the self install package gives you 2,

Will the dsl work if i dont have a splitter on the other 3.
    I thought i heard somewhere that if you dont have one on *all sockets random noise/frequencies will affect the dsl connection?
    You only need the splitter if you're using both inet and phone at the same time.

I dont need a phone on every connection, will i get away with the 2/3 connections where i have a phone in and leaving the others filterless?

Cheers

You'll need a splitter on each socket through which you'd like to access the net WHILST maintaining voice services on that socket (having a voice call coming in will interrupt your connection if it doesn't have the splitter)....

OR

Use one splitter and hang a router off it and run ethernet around your house....

OR

Use one splitter and use wireless

NOTE: Eircom indicate that after 4 splitters the line quality will degrade and you'll have problems.

Ok, i'm getting a wireless router,

So in theory I should only need one microfilter where my router is
    as i'm routing the connetion (wirelessly) to the other
    pc's in the house, all the other splitterless sockets
    will make no difference to this, incoming or no incoming call, as long as i have the mircofilter on the socket where the router/modem is plugged in... ?

Yup - that's the ticket. Though with that many connections, I wouldn't vouch for the overall quality of the line. I'd put the splitter on the main incoming line rather than any of the auxilliary points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭santalives

the microfilters are used on every socket that has a phone on it. This is to stop the high pitch sound of dsl from effecting your phone conversation. So you have to put a single microfilter on every line that you want to have a phone on, the double one is needless to say only used on the one you are plugging your modem into (techincally if you are not using a phone on that socket you don't have to use the double micro filter and you can just plug the modem directly into the socket.)

• Advertisement

There's that many I havnt a clue which one
    is the main one :)

Ahh the line should be fine, always get a decent modem speed
    48k or thereabouts ..

Advertisement