Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perl from Beginner to Advanced.

Options
  • 05-05-2003 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭

My Exams are nearly over and I'd like to learn Perl during the Summer (Yes I know 3 months Probably isn't enough but still...).

I've messed a bit with perl in the past but not to any high scale level so I'll be very much a beginner.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could point me towards any good sites with online or downloadable guides that I could use (yes yes I know of the wonderful google search engine so theres no need to point that out).

If you could mark them as being for Beginner/Intermediate/Advanced level learner, that would be really cool. Sites which you have found helpful at times aswell would be great.

Thanks in advance.

P.S.
    • I'm not trying to get my homework done by anyone.
    • Yes, I know I could trawl through search engines and find them myself, I don't expect anyone to do that, just hoping you have some good sites in your favourites/bookmarks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Dizz

Perl Monks wouldn't be a bad starting point. Get one or two O'Reilly Books (or if you are a P2P user... ;) ). Lots of doc over at www.activestate.com too. Cpan.org too! Prob a few of the obvious ones that come to mind.

Dizz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

The Llama book (O'Reillys Learning Perl) is a fantastic introduction to Perl.
    Actually any of the books on http://perl.oreilly.com are worth buying ;)

perl.com is another obvious one.

Haven't written Perl in ages but I still love it. Really expressive language.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Originally posted by Slydice
    ...(Yes I know 3 months Probably isn't enough but still...)
    Actually I'd say 3 months is easily loads of time, as long as you've done some basic programming before. Perl is a nice language alright, quick to pick up and powerful for what it's good at.

Webmonkey has a good intro to Perl, it doesn't go into much detail but is an easy-to-follow beginner's guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Tnx Guys. I've downloaded a good load of stuff from your above recommendations.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Best of luck with Perl, I've found it to be of great use in a work environment.
    A quick overview site
    http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/7331/ten_perl.html
    also
    http://www.perl.org/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

why perl?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Originally posted by tomED
    why perl?

A couple of Reasons,

1. PERL is Free.
    2. I know PHP fairly well and have encountered PERL many times throughout my exploration of what PHP can do.
    3. I like backend webdesign and have been told PERL is one of the bigshots for working with backend.
    4. Because it's the Summer and I'm sure I'll get bored of Studying for Repeat Exams at some point.
    5. I've alot of friends who love PERL and think it's great and I want in on the action .;) :D:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

thats a good enough reason for me!

best of luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Zaltais

Learn Perl (http://learn.perl.org) has an online library
    here with the full text of a number of books available for online reading.

From this list I'd recommend

Beginning Perl - as a really basic introduction, probably a bit too basic for you, but worth a skim.

Picking Up Perl - again fairly basic, but worth a skim.

For some pretty advanced PHP type stuff check out Embedding Perl in HTML with Mason - Mason rocks! - It's basically full perl support embedded in HTML pages with components (kind of like an SSI) which can themselves be perlscripts.

Also check out perldoc and read perl's own really comprehensive documentation.

Failing that, use google or buy Programming Perl which is a more readable printed version of the docs.

And if you're really stuck, just ask a question here!

I'm sure I've loads more links at home, if you need info on a more specific topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BTBB

I've learnt PERL in the last two weeks - finished the book part of Programming Perl yesterday. I'd suggest starting with Learning Perl and then go to Programming Perl.

What you want next is depending on what your interest are. You mention PHP so maybe CGI & Perl? Advanced Perl and the Perl Cookbook are also options but I haven't read any of them. Programming Perl has given me all I need to do what I need (writing scripts to allow idiots to manage accounts on a Linux box requiring password sync with samba, quotas and a few other things)

Anyway all the Perl books are on the top floor of Hodges Figes if you are in Dublin.

BTBB

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Zaltais

Of course if you've money to burn, you can't go wrong with The Perl CD Bookshelf
    Included are the second edition of Perl in a Nutshell (paperback version included), the third editions of Learning Perl and Programming Perl, the Perl Cookbook, and 3 new titles: Perl & XML, Perl & LWP, and Mastering Perl/Tk.

it's dear though - £70 sterling from amazon.co.uk

Advertisement