Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CHDSK Deleted a file

Options
  • 05-05-2003 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭

My PC sometimes doesn't shut down properly which means the scandisk utility runs when it boots up.

My Dad was on the puter this morning, doing his finances and after he was done he shut down the PC.

It mustn't have shut down normally or something because when I turned it back on scandisk ran and I got a message saying that an entry was invalid and had to be truncated.

The file that was truncated was my Dads file "cash.xls" or something similar but now it's gone, deleted I guess. It's an important file and he needs it. Does scandisk usually delete files that have errors in them or wah? And more importantly, is there a way to get it back?

Thanks.

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

look for files in the root directory ending in .chk or something like that (they are oddly named too). One of those may be the file (or a bit of it). I recommend norton utilities to try and recover it though... good luck... you need it!

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

well i havent used this program myself nut it may help

http://www.ericphelps.com/uncheck/

id say after you recover the file try running a complete scandisk and defrag. just in case the same things happens again.

Advertisement