Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to college

Options
  • 05-05-2003 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 526 ✭✭✭

Is'nt it an expensive process, as a matter of interest how many people have their accomodation paid for (by thier parents I mean)??

[Victor - Post tidied up]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

7 Kids in my family who have all gone to college in Dublin. i'm the second youngest and my little sis plans to study here next year. There are 3 of us living here at the mo and there will be 4 next year.

Folks bought a house about 10 years ago because it was handier and if they ever wan't to spend a night in Dublin they have somewhere to stay.

Say the three of us were to pay rent that would be 70 (at least) by 3 which equals 210 by 4 equals 840 euros per month. That would be up to 1120 yoyos per month next year. So yes it is an expensive process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 526 ✭✭✭dendenz

I think what I will do is search for accomdation and hopefully find somewhere. I was living with a relatio of mine while I am in college but it diodnt work out and I hate Meath literally as I miss Dublkin too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Try Daft.ie and you should get somewhere decent for good money. it helps if you get a group of you together and lie about how many are staying there. 4 of my mates have been living in a gaff all year and the LL thinks there is only 3 of them. Think they are paying 50 euro a week each. Its in Phibsboro.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I lived at home, but still found it expensive. I think most parents would help out their kids if they could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

While in college (NUI Galway) I lived in a house owned by my father (still do). I looked after filling the house with people, collecting rent, looking after bills, etc.

It was very handy for college.

Of the people who lived with me over the college years some people paid their own way while others got money from parents. I'd say that the majority payed their own way with an occasional few quid from parents.

One friend of mine stayed for 5 years with all rent payed by his parents.
    Another friend (~2.5 years in the house) payed his own rent by working a job at weekends (He got an occasional few quid from parents)

• Advertisement
Advertisement