Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game cheaper than Smyths(!!!!)

Options
  • 05-05-2003 9:32pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Yes it's true. Rip-off merchants Game have finally gotten their pricing problem straight. All console games are the RRP of 60 yoyos although the second hand games are still ridiculously expensive. Also there is a 10% of discount with loyalty cards.

However the big shock is with PC games. Game has Bloodrayne for PC at 45 yoyos with 10% with loyalty card. However Smyths have it for 60 yoyos.

I will still buy my console games in Smyths just to spite the bast*rds at Game but Smyths will have to catch up with the PC game prices.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

never liked game , pre owned games are so expensive BUT u can get alot of cheap games (pc world ) and sell it to them and trade it in for a new one .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

I'm not sure which is stranger retro, the Intel fanboi on the tech board or you.:p

Who cares what store you're buying your game in as long as the price is right. If you aren't going reward a company for dropping their prices with your custom then more then likely you wont see any more drops.

Still tho if GAME has pissed you off for several years I can see where you'd be coming from not wanting to buy off them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

heh GAME are a good shop imo, frndly staff, O.K prices and they are good for returns ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

GAME are VERY good with returns. It has a nicer feel than most shops, less warehouse-ish. The guys in my local one seem to really make an effort to be nice, to us and each other, which is cool. The second hand stuff is mentally expensive though, mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

Originally posted by Thorbar
    I'm not sure which is stranger retro, the Intel fanboi on the tech board or you.:p

Who cares what store you're buying your game in as long as the price is right. If you aren't going reward a company for dropping their prices with your custom then more then likely you wont see any more drops.

Still tho if GAME has pissed you off for several years I can see where you'd be coming from not wanting to buy off them again.
    You've just ****ing contradicted yurself!!!!

I'm sorry but it had to be said:)

Prefer Smyths myself just coz store is less clostraphobic and bigger range etc. GAME wold always be a last resort

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i like game for there refund policy oh yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Originally posted by Tusky
    heh GAME are a good shop imo, frndly staff, O.K prices and they are good for returns ...

Tusky Game have been seriously ripping us off over the last year or two on price. There have been a number of threads about this.

Originally posted by Horsefumbler
    You've just ****ing contradicted yurself!!!!

I'm sorry but it had to be said:)

Prefer Smyths myself just coz store is less clostraphobic and bigger range etc. GAME wold always be a last resort

Maybe I wasn't clear in my point but I was trying to say I think its nuts to be in favour of one company over another just because of pervious price standards but if you've had a few bad personal experiences with GAME in the past then I could understand why you wouldn't want to go back there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I go where ever its cheaper. 9 times out of 10 thats Smyths.

Whats the difference in their return policies?

basically game have a 10 day no questions asked bring your receipt type thingy, smyths aren't as lenient i don't think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Smyths have a 48 hour return policy, I think.

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Living in Donegal, my local Game is in Derry, which means I have to put up with STG. Not unusual to spend about 60-70 euros on a new game. Plus the staff are fcking useless.

There's a smyths in derry too though, bit out of the way but I must call in and check the prices.

the way the exchange rate is going though those shops in derry must be looking pretty good though?

Goodshape why don't you order over the net? Or do you not have access to a credit card?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Exchange rates getting better? Thats good news. I usually wouldn't bother checking the exchange rate - just get the STG from the cash machine. I should probobly be more aware, but it's always depressing to find out how much your really spending.

I order over the net when I can, but its not often I get the use of a credit card :(

yeah sure are now €1 gets you about £0.70 while just a little while ago ago €1 would only get you about £0.60 its the same with the dollar, but isn't actually doing me much good as i'm working in england for the summer and i can seem more wages getting small everyday :(

Well you're best bet then is to spend all your wages in England or keep them in sterling till next summer/currency looks more favourable. Of course if you're saving up for college then you're sorta screwed.

yeah i'll be trying to get a bit of money together for xmas and for a new computer so i'm not sure what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Originally posted by meglome
    Tusky Game have been seriously ripping us off over the last year or two on price. There have been a number of threads about this.

Havnt been riping me off :) I buy from whatever shop is cheapest and in some cases its game..

Advertisement