Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question about setting up dsl

Options
  • 05-05-2003 11:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

rite.

the "self install" option with dsl seems to involve plugging a splitter into your fone connection and then plugging your modem into that.

fine. seems simple enough.

the thing is that i have fone sockets all over the house.
    the main one comes into my hallway downstairs and from there branches off to upstairs and also toward the kitchen. the upstairs one goes to the computer room, which has 3 connections there for the 2 pcs, and the fone.

so. my question is. if i get self install option, does it matter where i plug the thing into?

do i have to plug it into the main socket in the house? or this it really make any flippin difference at all?

also, will this setup (above ;)) affect the quality of my dsl service?

oh and btw.. the fone connections in my upstairs pc room are sort of "self install", i.e. eircom didnt install em, i did it myself so they aint "official" or nothing and so mite be a little below spec :S

sorry if i rambled.. if anyone understands my quesiton please post a reply :p thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭-Wheeler-

The more times you split your telephone line, the more the quality of the line suffers. I would suggest you plug your DSL splitter straight into the first socket in the house (ie an unsplit line - where the line first enters your house). You should also consider trying to reduce the number of splits you have on the same line. From the sounds of it, I doubt you'd ever get a 56K connection with all those splits on the line. However DSL operates on a higher frequency than the telephone band, so it may not be effected as much. You'll just have to test it and see.

Wheeler_1028

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭DSLinAbsentia

If I remember from college days (cue tumbleweed rolling thru desert), then higher frequencies are more susceptable to noise than the frequencies used by voice. It sounds like what you need to a modem/router/gateway - split once then cat5 or Wireless off the hub. As you already seem to have multiple connections then Cat5 Cableing might be straightforward.

Check out NetGear's DG814 or DG824M.

Advertisement