Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I got my grant..... YAY

• 06-05-2003 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

What Do ye think i sould get out of my grant ....... ?

Sould i get ............ 12 votes

Motor Bike
    0% 0 votes
    Lap Top
    41% 5 votes
    Hold on to it for a rainy day
    58% 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

a monkey, you monkey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Depending on your course a laptop would be really handy :)

Especially if your allowed put it on the network

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

get the latop, may as well put that money to good EDUCATIONAL use, not paying for you gaming CS pleasure :D

/aside

Im still waiting for my grant. Twill be a full year if it ever does arrive :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Hold onto it for a rainyday that is unless you know you have cash awaiting you for other things. It could come in very handy for summin else that may be more important. Or if ya dont wanna then give it to me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Door knobs or jelly babies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

What the hell are you asking that for?

It is tradition to spend at least 60% on booze and you'll never have enough left for bike or laptop after that so just spend the other 40% on booze too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

U dirty knacker.

My tax money payed for that. Buy a rope and tie it to ur neck + jump off some bridge.

Real college students like me + loads other respectable families never got grants. I hate ye nobs, that get money handed to yis + then u go out + blow it.

The fact that u asked that question on spending it means u shudnt have 1 in the first place. Do u not feel like a complete nob, actually admitting to having a grant. Scumbag. Ur prob doing a mickey mouse course anyway. College is a roof over ur head sort of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

I got the grant today too. 2900euro but i owe ALL of it. The grant is supposed to help you with college payments and cost of living while in college, not buying a laptop. Christ. And rander00, how did YOUR tax money pay for his/my grant? You're in college too. Quiet down little irate boy with small penis

Originally posted by rander00
    U dirty knacker.

My tax money payed for that. Buy a rope and tie it to ur neck + jump off some bridge.

Real college students like me + loads other respectable families never got grants. I hate ye nobs, that get money handed to yis + then u go out + blow it.

The fact that u asked that question on spending it means u shudnt have 1 in the first place. Do u not feel like a complete nob, actually admitting to having a grant. Scumbag. Ur prob doing a mickey mouse course anyway. College is a roof over ur head sort of thing.

Quiet down Mr Rant. I don't get grant either, don't begrudge people who get it either though.

SJones you took the step of getting a loan out until your grant comes through. Most people don't have the foresight to do that and instead work through the year to cover costs and then end up with a lump sum at the end of they year.

It would make more sense to give them out in september I know.
    So most people I know who get grants work their asses off all year round to pay for college and related expenses and then end up with a lump sum to splash out on ****.

Im on a yr out.

When returning in Sept ill be faced wit hfees of 1600.

Nobs with the grant get that payed for them aswell the so called spending money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,096 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Rander00

I am incensed at your ignorance
    How do you know what level of fese you will be paying next year
    Nobs with the grant get that payed for them aswell the so called spending money.

I would not call the grant so called spending the grant is survival money

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Ever heard of a wkend job?? Like so many past college students have done so. MAybe even ur parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

They get the money for a reason, and can spend it how they like. Such is the way a grant works.

Originally posted by rander00
    Im on a yr out.

If you have to pay 1600 next year you have either already had fees paid on another course or you are repeating.

Sure whats wrong with spending money on a motorbike (transport) or a laptop, useful if he was doing a computer course.

"If you have to pay 1600 next year you have either already had fees paid on another course or you are repeating."

What r u talking about??
    I completed 2 yrs, payed E300 approx fees for each those 2 yrs. Now on yr out. When going bk to do diploma the fees are E1600 as opposed to E300. This is because the fees are been introduced gradually. My college admissions officer gave me the E1600 quote. Its the same for every course Cert/diploma/degree for eveyone. Everyone that doesnt get a grant handed to them that is.

I know ppl doing mickey mouse courses that get the grant + will just stay in college for the grant. THey wont pass prob, will have crap jobs in the end nyway but get payed to do nothing. While real ppl are trying to study + work at the same time in order to get good jobs.

And thats fair is it?? The grant shud b 4 all or none!!

The grant is "usually" given to people who's familys earn peanuts, and who may or may not live away from home. You spent all last year offm what did you do, lie in bed, or did you work?
    If you worked I'm sure you have the money to pay for yourself.

The fees you are talking about are the college fees which the government takes a cut of, not the actual course fees.
    These fees pay for exams, the S.U etc.

The grant isn't worth too much btw. Why go to college and get a grant when they could work, and do ten hours a week to earn about as much as they would in a grant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

no competition ,,,,,,,,THE MOTOR BIKE!!!!!!!!!
    would ya rather be inside doin your friggin access , or brummin around on your hot wheels?
    yyyeeeeaaa the bike , get the bike!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

my grant this yr helped paid for my car insurance and as expensive as it is (****in rip off) its still cheaper than living closer to the college.(just about) Hour up and back everyday.

But at the end of it i should a nice 70% no claims bonus whereas if i had went for accomdation i'd have sweet **** all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

g'wan the oldyellar and the jethro.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

gwan alo an the boothie!

Advertisement