Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seminar on Broadband for rural areas.... in Sligo and Maynooth.

Options
  • 06-05-2003 9:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

"Broadband for rural areas: are we witnessing a digital divide or a digital delay, and does it matter?

Some comparative perspectives from Ireland and England".

- a presentation by Dr. Sarah Skerratt and Martyn Warren on Thurs., May 15th next at 11am. in CS1, the Callan Building, North Campus, National University of Ireland, Maynooth.

Dr. Sarah Skerratt is a Senior Research Associate at the University of Newcastle and a NIRSA Visiting Associate who proposes, during her stay in Ireland, to evaluate the implications for rural and regional populations of the government's provision of broadband communications infrastructure. Dr Skerratt has considerable experience in the UK evaluating rural peoples' perceptions and expectations of Information & Communication Technologies (ICTs) and specifically broadband. Her joint research in progress - co-authored with her colleague, Martyn Warren (Head of Land Use & Rural Management Department, University of Plymouth) - focuses on the potential for ICTs and broadband to engender development within rural areas, and particularly examines the groundswell towards broadband demand and the ways in which bottom-up initiatives are aiming to meet that demand.

The seminar will therefore focus, firstly, on some of these key findings from the UK research, with particular reference to a case study which is gaining national and international recognition. Secondly, the research which is being conducted in Counties Sligo and Leitrim will be reported, outlining in particular the perceptions, practices, preparedness and expectations in the rural sector, for web-based ICT, and specifically for broadband. Finally, reflections on similarities and differences between the UK and Irish rural broadband contexts and outlooks will be given.

Immediately following the seminar, there will be a substantial opportunity for questions and discussion, and we trust that a lively debate will be generated, which we imagine will be both timely and productive in policy development terms.

This seminar is also being presented on May 14th from 2-4pm. in the Institute of Technology, Sligo.

Mail nirsa@may.ie for attendance details. I'll be heading to both myself.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Great news forthe people of the North West, for a change.
    However, *Donegal the largest county in the region is - once again - being left out of the picture!.

Are these people not even aware that it is accepted that the North West consists of :- Donegal, Leitim and Sligo. Even the North Western Health Boards infrastructure/catchment area consists of these three areas.

Just a point I thought that I would highlight given this opportunity, and Dannger I am delighted that you will be heading to both seminars yourself on behalf of IOFFL and all its members.

Thanks for making such an effort,and good luck to you. hope you enjoy the trip.

A small report on the proceedings would be interesting!.

Yours,

Paddy20:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

heading to sligo one meself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭aliesneo

but broadband is in sligo so???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Maybe someone should send him an invite :D

rural sligo were talking about

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

rural sligo were talking about

Its my understanding that the research that has been carried out and which will be presented has examined Sligo and Leitrum.

I'll be at both, do say hello if your there, it would be great to meet up with some IOFFL members from these areas to discuss matters.

SLIGO:
    May 14th @ 2pm
    The Education Centre, based at the Institute of Technology, Sligo (www.ecsligo.ie) - parking easy, next to centre.

MAYNOOTH:
    May 15th @ 11am
    National University of Ireland, South Campus (old buildings, not the new buildings on teaching campus): http://www.may.ie/travel/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Any chance of an update on what happened or a link?:)

i didnt go too lazy :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,983 ✭✭✭✭L1011

ahh Maynooth... the steaming cess-pit of backwardsness just 15 miles from Dublin, where broadband exists nowhere outside the confines of the NUI

*Posted over the NUI's E3 line while downloading lots of stuff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

I was at the Sligo event and it was very good indeed. It was also an excllent opportunity to meet with some groups who are gearing up to provide their own communities and businesses with access as they realise they will be waiting until hell freezes over for Eircom to get to them.

I will hopefully be able to get a copy of Dr. Skerratt's final paper in a few weeks time.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I was at the Sligo event too (nice touching base with you, Dangger).

It really was a fascinating presentation. It seems the only realistic way forward for rural areas is wireless, as the main players are just not going to move into the sticks.

What's really going to make things interesting are the MANs, if done properly. Up until now, I haven't seen any point in pursuing a community broadband project, as there just wasn't any possibility of backhaul (apart from VSAT, yuck), but now there's light at the end of that tunnel.

I'll be harassing my local County Councillor to see what the story is on the MAN in Ballina... there would want to be some return for the traffic disruption as they dig the whole place up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Dangger,

David, glad to hear you made it to Sligo, and that it was very good!.

Keep the flag lying. The scallywags are on the run and looking for a place too hide.

This is just another long overdue "Nail in their coffin".

Paddy20;)

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

Hi,

for those of us who couldn't make it to the presentation could you expand on how the MAN's fit into the picture for providing access to us rural dwellers ?

Thanks

M.

Originally posted by Mr_Man
    for those of us who couldn't make it to the presentation could you expand on how the MAN's fit into the picture for providing access to us rural dwellers ?
    I can only speak for myself:

I've been looking into the possibility of an IrishWAN-style solution for a while, but I've always been stymied by the lack of affordable backhaul. If the MANs come off as promised, I'll finally have some prospect of being able to buy some affordable bandwidth to the 'net.

I'm still looking into it - as I said, it's a glimmer of hope, not a solution on a plate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by oscarBravo
    I can only speak for myself:

I've been looking into the possibility of an IrishWAN-style solution for a while, but I've always been stymied by the lack of affordable backhaul. If the MANs come off as promised, I'll finally have some prospect of being able to buy some affordable bandwidth to the 'net.

I'm still looking into it - as I said, it's a glimmer of hope, not a solution on a plate.

You're not the only one OscarBravo.

Have you ever examined the organisational mechanics of a Group Water Scheme?

M

Originally posted by Muck
    You're not the only one OscarBravo.
    We should compare notes so; might save some redundant work.
    Have you ever examined the organisational mechanics of a Group Water Scheme?
    Ah jaysus, you're after sending shivers down my spine. It couldn't be that bad, could it?? :(

Advertisement