Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Partitioning an 80g hard drive

• 06-05-2003 11:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭

Any suggestions on the best way to Partition an 80g harddrive.
    Would 20 60 be good.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What OS?

Depends on what you wanna do with it. 20/60 sounds fine. Stick all your d/l'd programs, saved files and mp3's on the 60gig, and everything else on the 20gig.
    If you like to install a lot of programs from CD/DVD (I mean hundreds), I'd make the primary partition bigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

I guess 10-20 for windows and any highly integrated apps (office etc) would be good, as you'll probably find yourself wiping and reinstalling from time to time. The rest of the disk can be used as an archive for drivers, windows installer, games (though some require registry entries), docs, eps, mp3s etc..

Teeth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

I've got my 80gig like this

10-10-10-10-40
    winxp - 2kserver - music - misc/d'loads - larger program files and images

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

My advice for an 80GB would be 4 * 20GB patitions.
    When you install your op system take an image of your fresh install onto one of your partitions with Norton's Ghost.

That way when ever your system gets clogged or you want a fresh install again just put back your image.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

thats what i like to call a good idea :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

yes but finding a version of norton that dose ntfs partitions can be a bit of a hassel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

yes but finding a version of norton that dose ntfs partitions can be a bit of a hassel

I've used every version from Ghost 2.0 onwards (before Symantec even bought it) and I've never had a problem.

It's all in the switches.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Originally posted by elexes

My main partition (C drive) is NTFS (WIN XP) and I have no problem dumping/restoring an image using Ghost 2003.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,050 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I've mine partitioned in 4 ,20Gb drives.
    C:Windows and Programs Files
    D:Games
    E:Music
    F:Movies

I'D recommend,15Gb ,25Gb and two 20Gb partitions.

Advertisement