Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting fit and losing weight help

• 06-05-2003 12:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

theres prolly a dozen threads like this but mine is gonna be slightly differant.

Ok here goes.

Im 26,11 1/2 stone, and 5'4'', I dont eat meat fish or eggs. i do eat dairy products. so im not a vegan.

I quit smoking about 3 weeks ago and now I seriously want to get fit for 2 reasons.

one as ive quit smoking i worry that ill put on even more weight and

two by even more wieght i feel that im about a stone over weight.

I dont want to be muscular just be fit lose the small bit fo a flabby belly i have. As a person who isnt used to excercise Im just wondering where I should start.

I am a bloke by the way

thanx for your helpm in advance
    J

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Just out of curiosity how long has it been since you took part in any physical activity i.e. sport, gym circuits etc?

To increase your fitness you will need to begin by gradually increasing your levels of physical activity. Initally rather than getting out and running laps you could start by walking more rather than taking the car, get off the bus a stop earlier, take stairs rather than lifts or escalators.

You will need to gradually increase the loads as you go on if you are to increase your fitness it would be a good idea to check out this thread as it gives some insights into possible sports or exercises which you may find helpful.

The best activities to participate in for what you hope to achieve would be running, swimming, cycling or rowing as these are excellent for inproving cardiovascular endurance and for toning up and losing weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Well i have been constantly walking specially in the evening do a couple laps of harolds cross bridge and portabello bridge...

I know I do suffer from what the doctor has diagnosed as being "excercise induced asthma" but i know its more smoking related and that my breathing will get better and better with the stengthening of my my lungs over time.

Im not trying to run a marathon in 4 weeks kind of thing.

I do want it to be gradual. Like pace walking on the threadmill rather than jogging...that kind of thing.

I know its gonna be a long and slow process but the health scares that smoking has given me has given me a kick up the arse to do something about my lifestyle

Advertisement