Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MTV Icon - Metallica special

Options
  • 06-05-2003 12:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭

For anybody interested:-

METALLICA NAMED mtvICON FOR 2003 | 03/10/2003

MTV's annual music tribute event, mtvICON, will spotlight the 20-year career of Metallica. Metallica will tape before a live audience in Los Angeles on May 3rd, and will premiere on MTV on May 6th from 9:00-10:30pm ET/PT. The special program will feature performances and testimonials from artists and celebrities who have been influenced by the band, their music, and their videos. For the finale, Metallica will take the stage for a show-stopping set, marking the band's debut television performance with their new bass player Rob Trujillo. A full list of talent will be announced shortly.
    mtvICON is meant to commemorate musical artists for their cumulative contributions and impact spanning their entire career.

Times and days being aired this week

Tuesday May 6 2003 9:00 PM
    Wednesday May 7 2003 06:00 PM
    Friday May 9 2003 2:00 PM
    Saturday May 10 2003 5:30 PM
    Sunday May 11 2003 1:30 PM
    Sunday May 11 2003 8:30 PM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Heh. Funny that.

I wonder if MTV will show any of the now infamous MTV performance back in 1997.
    The one that got them [Metallica] black-listed by MTV both live & play-list. The one that in every re-run since has had the Metallica performance cut out.

hehehe .. I await with baited breath ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Samara

Sorry guys, think they're actually the US airing dates, got them from the Metallica website. Does anybody have any idea where we could get the dates they'll be aired on MTV UK / Europe??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

yeah read about this ages ago - but wouldnt be bothered watching - avril lavigne (angry rock grrrrrrl) recorded for that show - which makes me shudder (wonder what BALLAD she will sing - since that is all she has proven she is capable of doing - or really bad covers)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Originally posted by Lemming

The one that got them [Metallica] black-listed by MTV both live & play-list.

I heard about that one. Played the song "So What?" uncensored.

Originally posted by Crucifix
    I heard about that one. Played the song "So What?" uncensored.

hehe .. that's the one. THe FULL uncensored version including goats, sheeps and school girl tw*ts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

they had a piece about this on the news today, they had Avril Lavigne, Snoop Dog and Limp Bizkit :rolleyes: can't/don't want to remember who else was there

I think Sum41 as well, LOL, I'm not interested in that part but Metallica recorded a live set for the finale which is the bit I want to see, first tv performance with the new bassist!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    they had a piece about this on the news today, they had Avril Lavigne, Snoop Dog and Limp Bizkit :rolleyes: can't/don't want to remember who else was there

5.jpg
    icon_lol.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Limp Bizkit doing Sanatarium, Lavigne doing Fuel, and Snoop doing Sad But True.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

avril lavigne.. doing .. fuel..

erm

anyone else want to join me in a protest mass suicide?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Originally posted by Giblet

I'm sure thats mentioned in revelations, maybe somewhere in the back...

The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse

"When the first seal is broken, the Book of Revelations shows that Jesus Christ (sent by the Word) is able to make His appearance among men and to ride His white horse -- a steed called 'Integrity' -- across the earth. With His arm in full swing, He brings a sword, not peace to the planet, and victoriously cuts a path of righteousness wherever He goes. See Rev. 6:1

When the second seal is broken, the Gospel calls out once again, and this time it brings a red horse whose rider wields a huge sword that takes away peace from the earth and sets people killing each other. As this rider guides his red steed across the planet, war and violence rise to a fever pitch all across the globe. See Rev. 6:3

When the third seal is broken, the black horse of commerce appears. Toil and labor and greed consume the nations in the wake of its hoofbeats. Confronting one another, the red horse of war and the black horse of commerce battle for supremacy over the earth, setting the stage for the fourth horseman of the apocalypse to make his appearance. See Rev. 6:5

When the fourth seal is broken, a deathly pale horse whose rider is called plague appears, and Hades follows at his heels. A fourth of the earth, the Bible says, will be destroyed in the famine brought by Plague and Hades. The Black plagues of Europe, the Irish Potatoe famine, Syphillus, Gonorreah, Tuberculosis, AIDS and Ebola all had their conception in the silent hoofbeats of this fourth spiritual equestrian. And there is much more to come from this last rider of the Apocalypse and from the companion who follows at his heels. See Rev. 6:7

When the Lamb of God broke the fifth seal, John, in his vision, saw underneath the altar the souls of all the people who had been killed on account of the word of God, for witnessing to it. The angel told John that all these terrible things were happening for judgment and that patience was needed because God intended to carry out His entire secret plan to a pre-determined end. See Rev. 6:9

When the sixth seal is broken, there will be a violent earthquake and the sun will go as black as sackcloth; the moon turn red as blood, and the stars of the sky will fall onto the earth like figs dropping from a tree in a high wind. The sky itself will disappear like a scroll being rolled up and all the mountains and islands will be shaken from their places.

When the seventh seal is broken, representitives from the world of nu-metal, pop, and hip hop shall appear and play music that at one point in history was deemed "good" and "worthy", but in their hands will be considered "evil" and "wicked" The minions of the beast shall go under the name "MTV execs" and will wring their hands in glee at the thought of the money being made.

It is at this point that all the earthly rulers, the governors and the commanders, the rich people and the men of influence, the whole population, slaves and citizens, will take to the mountains to hide in caves and among the rocks for fear of what is about to happen, and to shield themselves from the boulder-sized hailstones which come raining down out of the sky, bombarding the earth. For the great Day of the anger of God and Lamb will have arrived. "

See Rev. 6:12

Even metallica themselves predicted this!!!

ITS IN REVELATIONS PEOPLE!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭xx

Lavigne doing Fuel? Okay, so its not one of their best songs, nor albums, but c'mon, that little moosefooker???? That is a joke. Rather, it should be titled mtvICON - pseudo-rock wretch massacres one of 'tallica's moshpit anthems. Yo Mordeth, I'm up for the mass suicide, but you first dude :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

for anyone interested in watching it is on wednesday 14th @ 8pm and repeated thursday 15th @ midnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭metalish

Originally posted by Acidflash
    for anyone interested in watching it is on wednesday 14th @ 8pm and repeated thursday 15th @ midnight.

Is that deffinetly the European showing of the show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

oohh please let me join the ,mass suicide!!! my god !!!:mad:

Originally posted by metalish
    Is that deffinetly the European showing of the show?

Yes, MTV have been advertising it for the past few days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭metalish

Thanx Acidflash! I have to work on wednesday night so guess i'll be watching it on thursday at mid night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

it is also on MTV2 on Saturday 15th at 8.30pm for those not available for the MTV showing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

i do believe they asked lavigne to do it...

one can only wonder why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Whatever about Avril Lavigne doing Fuel, which was never exactly one of the best songs, what about Limp Bizkit ruining one of the classics?? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭/|/)etal)-|ead

Yeah at least the stuff from load/reload/black etc is kinda dispensible, but i'm worried about these asswipes messing with the original stuff!!! Hope I don't get reminded of goddamn limp bizkit when I listen to that song afterwards lol

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Just seen this "spectacle"

Didn't see Avril Lavigne, turned it off when Fred Durst appeared, was glad Snoop Dog only did really one verse, spent a while wondering what the KoRn singers mic was. Then I realised no wonder these guys are ****e they're not Metallica, so was able to tolerate the rest of it... I'm sure I'll watch it again tomorrow night. Annoyed now that I wont be going to the concert.

Love Bites

OMG, I laughed my arse off when Snoop Doggy Dog 'performed' WTF???? :D

I thought Korn did pretty well, you have to remember they're never gonna sound the same as Metallica so if you expect that you're definitely gonna be disappointed. They were the best of the rest for sure.

The Metallica set was all too short for my liking but still has me waiting in anticipation for August!!!

Missed the first 15 mins so said "fvck it, I'll tape it tomorrow".

forgot about it entirely so decided to tape it tonight :p

Korn and Limp Bizkit destroyed one and sanitarium.snoop made me laugh. Sum 41 weren't actually bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

anyone think it was a load of shiote?

Snoop Dog- split my sides laughing
    Korn - WTF with the downtuned five-string? it pretty much ruined it
    Limp Bizikit- crap guitarist couldnt play the solo so they let the knob on turntables do whatever
    Avril - wasnt that bad just shes so boring, how can you **** up Fuel anyway?
    didnt see staind... but im sure they ****ed up nothing else matters

Metallica - the medely sucked and didnt think much of that new song tbh... typical MTV cutting it off the end just so they can show re-runs of the ****ing osbournes.

all in all an attempt to show metallica fans that they can "respect" nu-metals' finest (or should i say funniest?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

My god that was such dreadfull pap.

Limp Bizkit were absolutely dreadfull.

Avril Lavigne was completely static, and just looked bored.
    If I saw someone like that live, I'd boo them off-stage.

Korn wasn't the worst, but that's not saying much.
    I think Fieldy's bass effects really ****ing messed the song up.

Stained were by far the best on show.
    They didn't mess anything up a whole degree.
    But that's not saying much...

And wtf was that **** Metallica played at the end???
    My god! If that's any indication of the new album, I'm steering well clear.

Personally I think it would have been far better if the bands were as followed:

Behemoth - Battery
    My Dying Bride - Sanitarium
    Opeth - Fade To Black
    Emperor - Orion
    Therion - Call Of Ktulu

Well, what did you expect me to say?

Thoughts?

pretty much agree with what angelwhore said.. avril.. she wasn't singing badly or anything, but she had no energy. there was absaloutely no passion in her singing, she was just going through the motions.. acting out the good little rock chick.

staind.. i just dislike the singers voice, he might not have ****ed the song up too badly, but i just couldn't listen to it again.

korn.. well I didn't listen to this one really, i had another song playing at the time but it didn't seem *too* bad .. that being said I remember thinking "oh jesus no" at a particular point in the song.

limp bizkit..

well that's enough said about their contribution

as for the new song.. well

<Mordysseus> the new song is playing now
    * Mordysseus listens keenly

minute or so passes

<Mordysseus> hrm.. the new song.. erm.. kinda sucks

perhaps it will sound better on the album but it just sounded so incredibly bland on tv..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I agree with most of what was sed here too, avril was very borin indeed, limp bizkit butchered sanitarium, korns effort of one wasnt too bad, snoop was really funny but wot surprised me the most was sum41, a band that i normally dispise pulled off the opening very well I thought, for me they were the show stealers infact, a gud effort indeed. Overall the show was well-entertaining.

Advertisement